ADVERTISEMENT

Duke baseball/CWS -- 2024 season

It'd clearly mean a lot to the program. The commitment to renovate Coombs is a large part of the reason Pollard was coaching Duke and not Miami this season. He stayed at Duke because of its pledge to upgrade Coombs, a process that should start any day now (if it hasn't already).

I figure they'll increase seating capacity but as discussed last week, that's not the main issue. It's a facility that has to be modernized. I don't know how far along that process can come in the next 3-4 months.

Duke is doing well enough in recruiting to tell me facility upgrades won't improve it a ton. The freshman core of Gracia-Johnson-Krewson-Winslow was probably the best in the ACC this season. Now, keeping them at Duke and fending off NIL poachers ... that's a whole other story.

For as long as Pollard is at Duke and until it ascends to Vanderbilt levels of success, there will be a job or two that opens every year that Pollard is rumored to be a candidate. Doesn't mean he'll ever leave, doesn't mean he'll stay at Duke until retirement. But given Duke's horrific baseball tradition and what he's done with the program, the college baseball bluebloods are always going to look at him and assume he's not long for Durham.

Just like Miami wanted him last year.
Conor, the renovations will help with recruiting pitching if the plans are to get rid of that hill behind the first base line running to the right field corner. On the one hand it was nice for the 12 or 15 fans who used to watch from there, but in the '60s we pitchers had to run up and down that darn hill while the rest of the team got to do fun stuff, like play baseball.
OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
Per D1Baseball's transfer portal tracker, freshman OF Chase Krewson has entered.

Substantial loss.

• Angry
Reactions: ioliva
It'd clearly mean a lot to the program. The commitment to renovate Coombs is a large part of the reason Pollard was coaching Duke and not Miami this season. He stayed at Duke because of its pledge to upgrade Coombs, a process that should start any day now (if it hasn't already).

I figure they'll increase seating capacity but as discussed last week, that's not the main issue. It's a facility that has to be modernized. I don't know how far along that process can come in the next 3-4 months.

Duke is doing well enough in recruiting to tell me facility upgrades won't improve it a ton. The freshman core of Gracia-Johnson-Krewson-Winslow was probably the best in the ACC this season. Now, keeping them at Duke and fending off NIL poachers ... that's a whole other story.

For as long as Pollard is at Duke and until it ascends to Vanderbilt levels of success, there will be a job or two that opens every year that Pollard is rumored to be a candidate. Doesn't mean he'll ever leave, doesn't mean he'll stay at Duke until retirement. But given Duke's horrific baseball tradition and what he's done with the program, the college baseball bluebloods are always going to look at him and assume he's not long for Durham.

Just like Miami wanted him last year.
@ConorONeill and @Devilinside thank you BOTH for the insight! Appreciate it!!

OFC

The Columbia "State" newspaper confirms today that Pollard is being looked at for the USC job. Current coach is making $725,000/year. 9 out of 14 SEC coaches are making over $1,000,000. Don't know what Pollard is making, buy I hope he is in range. OFC

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Two seldom-used pitchers entered the portal since yesterday afternoon -- Josh Allen and Nick Conte.

Allen had 7 1/3 innings pitched this season, Conte had 6. They're also both seniors with one season of eligibility left.

Pollard has mastered the one-year Ivy League grad-student transfer pipeline; Beilenson had two years. The problem with that is you have to do it every year.

And it has to be done quickly. Any uncertainty over Pollard's status cannot linger or it could ravage that pipeline.

Pollard has mastered the one-year Ivy League grad-student transfer pipeline; Beilenson had two years. The problem with that is you have to do it every year.

And it has to be done quickly. Any uncertainty over Pollard's status cannot linger or it could ravage that pipeline.
Pollard has a great freshman class and is getting his (our) new stadium. Not a great time to leave. I HOPE. Please make some kind of statement soon, Coach.
OFC

Oh, and add to that: Nina should make a substantial offer, even sooner.
OFC
He just got a new contract last year with Miami's interest. Here was the N&O story about it.

You can't extend and bump up salaries every single time another program has interest. As mentioned, for as long as Pollard is at Duke and until/unless the program reaches a standard of Vanderbilt, there will be an SEC or ACC team looking for a coach and his name will pop up. It's inevitable.

He just got a new contract last year with Miami's interest. Here was the N&O story about it.

You can't extend and bump up salaries every single time another program has interest. As mentioned, for as long as Pollard is at Duke and until/unless the program reaches a standard of Vanderbilt, there will be an SEC or ACC team looking for a coach and his name will pop up. It's inevitable.
Did not know about the new contract. My bad. And you are right: can't rip up old contracts every time someone comes a'calling..
Also recognize that the word "contract" should be removed from the English language and all dictionaries. Along with "commitment" and "loyalty."
Last comments not directly aimed at Pollard; just at sports in general these days. My father tried to teach me better.
OFC

Duke already has two Ivy Leaguers inbound, per D1Baseball's transfer tracker:

- Jake Berger, 3B, Harvard. Started 38 games, hit .288, 28 runs, 23 RBI, 1 HR. Looks like he started at SS two seasons ago and moved over to 3B last year. He's 6-3, 195 according to his roster page (found here).

- Reid Easterly, LHP, Yale. He was 2-6 this season but had an ERA of 4.44 and had 69 Ks in 75 innings (20 walks). His ERA was under 3.00 in his first two seasons -- kinda seems like he had some bad luck this season. 6-foot, 200 pounds. Here's his roster page.

chase leaving is killing me wtf

Please don’t go Gracia

No one is suggesting that Pollard get a new contract whenever other teams show an interest. However, it would be in Duke's interest to meet or beat any bona fide offer which Pollard may receive. Who knows? His contract may already contain such a right of first refusal. In any event, he just received a raise with which he was presumably very satisfied, given that he did re-up. If he were another Elmo, however, the situation would be different. But he is not, thankfully.

OFC

Chase Krewson committed to UCF; quick portal recruitment.

Also: Jackson Emus entered the portal today, seldom-used reliever.

And South Carolina looks like it has its coach, former LSU coach Paul Mainieri.

Conor: any speculation on draft status of Blue Devils. None projected in top 30, I've seen.
OFC
Jonathan Santucci is Duke's top prospect; he's No. 34 on mlb.com's prospects list. Lefty with a high strikeout rate -- he could get snagged in the first round by a team looking to go under slot, or he'll go in one of the sandwich rounds, is my guess.

I was shocked Alex Stone was drafted last season but scouts must think he's not projectable enough either behind the plate or *at* the plate. Figure he'll be picked in the later rounds.

Devin Obee probably made himself a lot of money with his late-season surge. He's big and toolsy, figure you could see his name pop up somewhere between rounds 4-7.

I'd be shocked if Wallace Clark is back, given he's a starting shortstop in the ACC and had decent numbers.

I'm fascinated to see where Charlie Beilenson lands (and will be pulling for him). His stats, experience, command, etc. make him seem like a bullpen arm who's going to progress quickly. But he's only a reliever and he's already 24 years old, both of which tend to tank draft stock.

Draft eligible sophomores to be aware of:

LHP Andrew Healy
RHP Gabe Nard
LHP Edward Hart

Healy is the only one of them who I think would be a prospect -- by definition, he's 6-6 and left-handed, so he's draftable. That's probably the most-intriguing "will he/won't he" player to watch in the draft.

Jonathan Santucci is Duke's top prospect; he's No. 34 on mlb.com's prospects list. Lefty with a high strikeout rate -- he could get snagged in the first round by a team looking to go under slot, or he'll go in one of the sandwich rounds, is my guess.

I was shocked Alex Stone was drafted last season but scouts must think he's not projectable enough either behind the plate or *at* the plate. Figure he'll be picked in the later rounds.

Devin Obee probably made himself a lot of money with his late-season surge. He's big and toolsy, figure you could see his name pop up somewhere between rounds 4-7.

I'd be shocked if Wallace Clark is back, given he's a starting shortstop in the ACC and had decent numbers.

I'm fascinated to see where Charlie Beilenson lands (and will be pulling for him). His stats, experience, command, etc. make him seem like a bullpen arm who's going to progress quickly. But he's only a reliever and he's already 24 years old, both of which tend to tank draft stock.

Draft eligible sophomores to be aware of:

LHP Andrew Healy
RHP Gabe Nard
LHP Edward Hart

Healy is the only one of them who I think would be a prospect -- by definition, he's 6-6 and left-handed, so he's draftable. That's probably the most-intriguing "will he/won't he" player to watch in the draft.
I would draft Beilenson in a heartbeat!! Sure hes already 24, but that guy is a dawg!!!

OFC

At a time when pitchers’ durability seems to be increasingly a problem, a rubber-armed guy like him should be attractive. He reminds me of “Every Day” Eddie Guardado of the Twins years ago.

Reactions: hart2chesson
All valid points. Just reading the draft over the years, that he is A) 24 years old, B) a reliever, C) out of college eligibility (zero leverage), will knock him down a few rounds.

I'll be happy if I'm wrong and he's a top-3-round pick!

All valid points. Just reading the draft over the years, that he is A) 24 years old, B) a reliever, C) out of college eligibility (zero leverage), will knock him down a few rounds.

I'll be happy if I'm wrong and he's a top-3-round pick!
Conor you have far more insight into these matters than us. Clearly, I suspect you are right.

OFC

Reactions: ConorONeill
Chase Krewson committed to UCF; quick portal recruitment.
so disappointed in this. Why would he leave and why to ucf? Duke is hands down the superior program 😔

I thought he’d at least go to a better program since he had a good year. At the very least looks like we’re keeping gracia

Ahh, going to guess that UCF has more to offer in NIL. You've got to remember, too, that baseball doesn't give out full scholarships -- it's about three times more expensive to go to Duke than it is UCF for out-of-state students (Krewson is from Pennsylvania).

Out of the 4 freshmen who contributed this season -- Krewson, Gracia, Johnson and Winslow -- I'd say Krewson was the most expendable. If Duke keeps the other three, they're in a great spot.

Conor you have far more insight into these matters than us. Clearly, I suspect you are right.

OFC
C'mon, Hart. Conor don't know squat. Just because I ask him for his opinion and rely on him for facts doesn't mean anything.

Should there be a separate CWS thread, or is this one good enough? I suspect the latter since there are only a handful of us who care at this point.

OFC

Ahh, going to guess that UCF has more to offer in NIL. You've got to remember, too, that baseball doesn't give out full scholarships -- it's about three times more expensive to go to Duke than it is UCF for out-of-state students (Krewson is from Pennsylvania).
Whoa I had no idea that baseball doesn’t give out full scholarships. Is that the entire college baseball landscape or just Duke?

Edit who’s I just looked into it. wtf is the ncaa doing to college baseball in that the limit is 11.7 scholarships. Basketball gets 13, rotations don’t ever go that deep

All of college baseball -- you only get 11.7 scholarships to be divided by however many players you want to put on scholarship. Most teams put 25-30 players on scholarship, maybe more if you can make the numbers work.

It's why schools like Duke and Wake try to find as much talent in New England as possible, at least at the private schools. If parents are paying $20,000/year to send their kid to an academy, they can afford tuition at these southern private universities (most of the time).

It also might be coming to an end; believe there's NCAA talk of ending the scholarship limit across every sport, which I think most coaches are fighting (imagine 200-player football rosters at some places, nobody should want that).

Reactions: ioliva
Whoa I had no idea that baseball doesn’t give out full scholarships. Is that the entire college baseball landscape or just Duke?

Edit who’s I just looked into it. wtf is the ncaa doing to college baseball in that the limit is 11.7 scholarships. Basketball gets 13, rotations don’t ever go that deep
That's one reason why flagship, state-supported schools tend to do so well. If your kid is a great prep player in Virginia, for example, would you rather pay in-state tuition in Virginia or most of the ride at a private school? It's a real credit to Duke and Wake that they can compete with UNC, NCSU and ECU given the financial constraints of top-tier private schools.

All of college baseball -- you only get 11.7 scholarships to be divided by however many players you want to put on scholarship. Most teams put 25-30 players on scholarship, maybe more if you can make the numbers work.

It's why schools like Duke and Wake try to find as much talent in New England as possible, at least at the private schools. If parents are paying $20,000/year to send their kid to an academy, they can afford tuition at these southern private universities (most of the time).

It also might be coming to an end; believe there's NCAA talk of ending the scholarship limit across every sport, which I think most coaches are fighting (imagine 200-player football rosters at some places, nobody should want that).
I think ending scholarship limits is a good thing for sports like baseball. Keep football at the 87 or whatever it’s at but baseball should be allowed 25-30. Seems absurd to me that baseball has such a low limit

I think ending scholarship limits is a good thing for sports like baseball. Keep football at the 87 or whatever it’s at but baseball should be allowed 25-30. Seems absurd to me that baseball has such a low limit
As an avid Duke fan, I’m interested in anything that helps make Duke competitive in all sports. On the other hand, if, to be competitive in all sports, Duke has to hand out 25 baseball scholarships and lots of additional scholarships in other sports, where is that money coming from? Certainly there would have to be a tuition increase and an already very expensive education becomes even more challenging for the non-scholarship crowd. I guess the answer is making sure your NIL program is robust….

C'mon, Hart. Conor don't know squat. Just because I ask him for his opinion and rely on him for facts doesn't mean anything.
And Cows Fly!!!🤣🤣🤣Nice,but very transparent WC. Of course as an OFC I appreciate the thinly veiled sarcasm so I can understand!!🤣🤣🤣

Conor is a treasure with his knowledge and insights. Hes never condescending which is a trait some sportswriters wear on their sleeve.Enjoy your posts too Will,especially your barbs at good ol Hart!!

OFC

Elimination Day. One ACC club will be heading home by about 4pm.
Do any of you have a favorite in this tourney? I don't....all the teams I've seen are impressive and hard to root against.
OFC

Elimination Day. One ACC club will be heading home by about 4pm.
Do any of you have a favorite in this tourney? I don't....all the teams I've seen are impressive and hard to root against.
OFC
ONE is EASY to root against. Unfortunately they have had a horseshoe up their wazoo so far. Their ex hoops coach thinks hes suave in a go to hell hat. #GoAwayRoy
#RoyKnew

As an avid Duke fan, I’m interested in anything that helps make Duke competitive in all sports. On the other hand, if, to be competitive in all sports, Duke has to hand out 25 baseball scholarships and lots of additional scholarships in other sports, where is that money coming from? Certainly there would have to be a tuition increase and an already very expensive education becomes even more challenging for the non-scholarship crowd. I guess the answer is making sure your NIL program is robust….
Dukes endowment is 11.6 billion. They can afford adding athletic scholarships.

Reactions: Willcampbell
ONE is EASY to root against. Unfortunately they have had a horseshoe up their wazoo so far. Their ex hoops coach thinks hes suave in a go to hell hat. #GoAwayRoy
#RoyKnew
Hart, I know you are referring to UNC, and I don't know whether I told you before, indirectly perhaps, that I may be in the minority (of one?) on this Board who does not hate everything "Carolina."
But be happy: Carolina lost to UT and the Cavs are homeward bound,
OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT