ADVERTISEMENT

Duke baseball/CWS -- 2024 season

I wish teams could sue the ncaa. How does Arizona, Oregon state, ecu and nc state ( who has more losses and less wins and just got destroyed by Duke ) all host? Throw ecu in there too. Absolutely mind boggling.

I don't know if any of you noticed, but Duke AD Nina King looked very down at the Mizzou softball games this weekend. They showed her in an inside upper deck slot, and I get the feeling she knew even beforehand the baseball team would get shafted.

I think Dr.King was fully aware the snub was coming even if Duke baseball won the tourney(which they did of course!!).Nina knew the benefits of playing at home, showing off newly rennovated Jack Coombs field,recruiting, $$$ and this was an insane, POLITICALLY MOTIVATED big blow.

ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips CLEARLY has ZERO interest in helping Duke. He's only concerned about serving the schools rumored to leave the conference(softball team was shafted too with a #10 seed). I hope Dr. King and her staff have a contingency plan for the ultimate ACC implosion. Rant over guys, thanks. OFC

Reactions: smashmouth5
So going to Norman and that region is matched up with FSU region. Certainly doable but still got screwed.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
I wish teams could sue the ncaa. How does Arizona, Oregon state, ecu and nc state ( who has more losses and less wins and just got destroyed by Duke ) all host? Throw ecu in there too. Absolutely mind boggling.

State hosting a regional over Duke is a crime. Duke definitely got screwed, not sure of any agenda but it certainly seems like one might be in play.

Looking at UConn… I’m not worried. 15-21 ooc and lost to basically anyone with a pulse. 15-21 ooc but played well in conference where they lost both opening games in conference tourney

Looking at UConn… I’m not worried. 15-21 ooc and lost to basically anyone with a pulse. 15-21 ooc but played well in conference where they lost both opening games in conference tourney

What’s key is to look at a teams #1 pitcher. I don’t know anything about UConn but if any #3 or #4 seed has a lock down ace, they can take out at #1 or #2 & then suck after that. Pitching matchups are so important this time of year, they can be the difference in an early exit or a deep run.

What’s key is to look at a teams #1 pitcher. I don’t know anything about UConn but if any #3 or #4 seed has a lock down ace, they can take out at #1 or #2 & then suck after that. Pitching matchups are so important this time of year, they can be the difference in an early exit or a deep run.
Hoping Jonathan Santucci (injury), is ready to get back on the mound for Duke!!

OFC

Reactions: smashmouth5
Lengthy, in-depth story on Duke not hosting a regional this year.

It's longer than I thought it'd be, given it's words about something that isn't happening. But historical context is important, I think.

I promise, for the rest of the week I'll write about things that are actually happening, like laying out Duke's pitching situation and a breakdown of the other teams in the regional.

Hey Conor: don't sweat it. There are tons of posts on this forum about things that aren't actually happening!

One thing that has NOT happened are the pictures you promised me of the renovated Jack Coombs. That was a few months ago. Lose your camera?:)

OFC

Reactions: ConorONeill
Ha, I completely lost track.

Duke is keeping the upgrade plans under wraps for whatever reason. This is the only thing I've found (and it was sent to me on Twitter this weekend).

Somebody told me the only change this summer will be to the dugouts. I find that a little hard to believe and think the regional snub this year should accelerate some changes.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Ha, I completely lost track.

Duke is keeping the upgrade plans under wraps for whatever reason. This is the only thing I've found (and it was sent to me on Twitter this weekend).

Somebody told me the only change this summer will be to the dugouts. I find that a little hard to believe and think the regional snub this year should accelerate some changes.
If you know, what are the seating capacities at State and ECU? I had the feeling all along that capacity was not in our favor. Not "politics", as others have suggested.
OFC

N.C. State lists their capacity as 2,200; ECU lists theirs at 5,000.

However ...

N.C. State lists their attendance as 3,048 for all three games of the UNC series. ECU lists 6,017 for their game against UNC, 5,998 for a game against Charlotte.

Duke listing 1,863 tells me they can probably get to the neighborhood of 2,500 with temporary bleachers and standing room only tickets.

That's not ideal but it also isn't the biggest hurdle -- at least as I understand it. Pollard's point about the lack of TV capability is a good one. And the NCAA just brings so many other moving parts with the requirements.

N.C. State lists their capacity as 2,200; ECU lists theirs at 5,000.

However ...

N.C. State lists their attendance as 3,048 for all three games of the UNC series. ECU lists 6,017 for their game against UNC, 5,998 for a game against Charlotte.

Duke listing 1,863 tells me they can probably get to the neighborhood of 2,500 with temporary bleachers and standing room only tickets.

That's not ideal but it also isn't the biggest hurdle -- at least as I understand it. Pollard's point about the lack of TV capability is a good one. And the NCAA just brings so many other moving parts with the requirements.
Thanks.
OFC

I think you're missing the point.

It's not just stadium size. It's having a press box that's been updated in the last 30 years. It's having places for cameras that aren't makeshift. It's having chairbacks. It's having suitable areas for teams to warm up before playing. It's having actual bathrooms instead of the -- albeit, really nice -- portable bathrooms. I'm not going to pretend to know every NCAA requirement that comes with hosting, but having covered regionals at the other three Big 4 schools, it's clear Coombs is far behind every other place.

Maybe Coombs is good enough to host and the concern was Duke's resume -- we won't know that unless Pollard shares whatever he learns from Matt Hogue.

But the state of Coombs *is* a problem. That's why there are renovations scheduled. We just don't know if it's enough of a problem to keep Duke from hosting.

I think you're missing the point.

It's not just stadium size. It's having a press box that's been updated in the last 30 years. It's having places for cameras that aren't makeshift. It's having chairbacks. It's having suitable areas for teams to warm up before playing. It's having actual bathrooms instead of the -- albeit, really nice -- portable bathrooms. I'm not going to pretend to know every NCAA requirement that comes with hosting, but having covered regionals at the other three Big 4 schools, it's clear Coombs is far behind every other place.

Maybe Coombs is good enough to host and the concern was Duke's resume -- we won't know that unless Pollard shares whatever he learns from Matt Hogue.

But the state of Coombs *is* a problem. That's why there are renovations scheduled. We just don't know if it's enough of a problem to keep Duke from hosting.
My bad I didn’t realize coombs was that bad. Thought it was just a capacity issue as I remember two years ago pollard stating they were getting bleachers ready.

Blame should fall on king. They should’ve upgrade facilities last year, or that COVID year. I remember my dad and I were given tickets to fsu and they were playing at the Durham bulls stadium. It’s a joke that a university prestigious as Duke should have actual bathrooms. Honestly the field and forest in the background looks beautiful… at least to me coming from the desert of El Paso

My bad I didn’t realize coombs was that bad. Thought it was just a capacity issue as I remember two years ago pollard stating they were getting bleachers ready.

Blame should fall on king. They should’ve upgrade facilities last year, or that COVID year. I remember my dad and I were given tickets to fsu and they were playing at the Durham bulls stadium. It’s a joke that a university prestigious as Duke should have actual bathrooms. Honestly the field and forest in the background looks beautiful… at least to me coming from the desert of El Paso
All good! Did not know you were that far away!

The way I see it, the biggest reason Coombs hasn't been updated has a bit to do with the "basketball and then everything else" culture that has existed in the athletic dept. and because in years before this one, it was easy to write off Coombs as the cute little stadium where Duke only played sometimes. I love the Bulls' stadium, think the ACCT should be there every year, but Duke playing 60-80% of its home games there made life tougher than it needed to be, IMO.

It's hard to have a homefield advantage when you don't practice at said field. But playing the majority of home games there made it easy for Duke to ignore Coombs, or at least didn't apply the urgency to renovate that now exists.

Duke will start Andrew Healy today against UConn. Had a great start against N.C. State last week (5 innings, 0 runs, 1 hit) in what was his first time getting stretched out for more than 2 innings.

Jonathan Santucci and Kyle Johnson are available this weekend ... but Duke is playing things close to the vest on which games they'll start (or appear in, since it's not like it's required for them to start if they're pitching).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT