ADVERTISEMENT

Dear Dukie fans I lost my youngest daughter today!

I'm so sorry, gotta. My heart just breaks for you. I pray that your grief will be cathartic and healthy. I pray that you're surrounded by love and support. I pray that you will emerge from the darkest days of sorrow to come with fondest memories of Elizabeth and an emulation of God's grace regarding her struggles with addiction. I pray that you may find focus and purpose through this to honor God and Elizabeth, and to help others.

I am so sorry for this loss. I will hold Elizabeth and your family in ongoing prayer.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcdevilfan
So, so, so, sorry for your loss. Addiction in any form is such a terrible disease. I pray that you and your family can find a way to cherish every joyous moment with your daughter far more than the unavoidable agony you must be experiencing.

I’m very sorry about your daughter Gotta. I’ve lost a lot of good friends to this and have had my own battles with this disease. If there is anything that I can do to help you or help anyone else on this board that is struggling with this or has a family or friend going through this, please message me. My prayers are with you and your family.

I'm moving this up to the top. Some posters may be unaware of it. OFC

Reactions: DukefanKY
I am so sorry to hear this news, and I pray that you can be strong, not only for yourself, but for your family. Try to keep in mind that all things are done for a reason, sometimes we just don't understand why.
God Bless you and your family my friend.
OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Thank you for posting and especially helping shine light on the epidemic which is heroin/over the counter pain medicine in America. 1 in 6 Americans take a psychiatric drug each day.

Possibly (hopefully) your daughter is now at peace. You are doing all you can in your situation by being vocal for possibly the next victim. I respect you sir.

Reactions: bmbritt
Sorry for your loss brother. Prayers go out to you and your family.

Sorry for your loss man. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family in this difficult time. I couldn’t imagine what you all must be going through..

We all share your pain and mourn your loss. We pray that you find peace.

I am so sorry for your loss and your long struggle. My prayers will be with you and your family.

Sorry for the late response..There are No Words for how much I feel for you and your family..May GOD bless you and yours with patients, understanding and some day Peace.

With a heavy heart I feel I must share with everyone on our board that my youngest daughter Elizabeth died today of a drug overdose at the age of 29. She would have been 30 on July 20th. She had a horrible drug abuse problem that began with pain killers 6 years ago and caused her and her family much pain and grief. Dear God please lift her into heaven with your grace.

We hid this from our friends for almost 6 years and had just began to understand that it was best to share it with others.

Gotta, first, I am terribly sorry for what you are going through. I have a younger brother and sister that both have struggled with drug addiction. My sister especially, she also has bipolar disorder and depression. So every phone call with a 336 area code makes us nervous that it will be THAT phone call. I understand not sharing her problem with your friends. But I just wanted to share with you that in no way should you feel ashamed by your daughter. It is a very hard world to live in and drug addiction effects people from all walks of life.

I am moving over to drug court and in order to get an understanding of what kind of people I will be dealing with I have been attending anonymous groups and visiting rehab centers. And I am telling you, it ranges from the parentless drop outs to the children of successful business people, doctors, actors.

I am sorry. I very much understand your pain. I have seen it in my life also. Words mean little. All that I can say is try to keep strong. I wish you and your family the best.

With a heavy heart I feel I must share with everyone on our board that my youngest daughter Elizabeth died today of a drug overdose at the age of 29. She would have been 30 on July 20th. She had a horrible drug abuse problem that began with pain killers 6 years ago and caused her and her family much pain and grief. Dear God please lift her into heaven with your grace.

We hid this from our friends for almost 6 years and had just began to understand that it was best to share it with others.

Dear Duke Family.

Its now been 4 days and 8 hours since my wife and I answered the door to the police informing us of the death of our beautiful, smart and talented daughter Elizabeth Alison. Needless to say this has been the most painful four days of our lives. I have taken much comfort from the many warm and from the heart comments I have received from my Duke family. My baby girl's body is supposed to arrive Wednesday from Florida to the Raleigh/Durham NC airport and we can begin phase two or three of planning her funeral.

We have been overwhelmed by the love and support shown to our family during this horrid time for us also by our church family. Hopefully by Saturday we can finish the burial of my baby. I was so proud of Alison and I will eventually post a picture or two so you can better understand our loss.

God Bless to All and Go Duke,

gottagonow

I'm so sorry for your loss. My brother \ is an addict and my wife is bipolar so I have a degree of empathy to what you are going through. Hit me up on facebook if you ever need to talk. you can find me at richburns42@hotmail.com on facebook I don't know my password on that Hotmail account.

Hang in there my friend. We ARE your Duke family and always will be. My family and I are praying for your family. I can’t imagine what you are going through, but you are definitely in our thoughts and prayers buddy.

I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the pain you are feeling. You are in my thoughts.

Last edited:
Dear Duke Family.

Its now been 4 days and 8 hours since my wife and I answered the door to the police informing us of the death of our beautiful, smart and talented daughter Elizabeth Alison. Needless to say this has been the most painful four days of our lives. I have taken much comfort from the many warm and from the heart comments I have received from my Duke family. My baby girl's body is supposed to arrive Wednesday from Florida to the Raleigh/Durham NC airport and we can begin phase two or three of planning her funeral.

We have been overwhelmed by the love and support shown to our family during this horrid time for us also by our church family. Hopefully by Saturday we can finish the burial of my baby. I was so proud of Alison and I will eventually post a picture or two so you can better understand our loss.

God Bless to All and Go Duke,

gottagonow

Again, so sorry man. Just know that, at all times, there are people out there thinking of you all.

I can’t imagine what you are going through. Stay strong. Again, so sorry for your loss.

My heart goes out to you gotta, as an addict in recovery (I was addicted to OxyContin) I’ve been clean a little over eight years so your tragedy strikes a very personal chord with me. Addiction is a monster that doesn’t discriminate. There is Absolutely nothing worse in my eyes than losing one’s child, no matter their age, and my prayers will be for you and everyone else that’s affected by the death of your daughter. Just know the Duke family here on Rivals loves you and is praying for you!

Reactions: gottagonow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT