ADVERTISEMENT

Current Roster/Scholarships 2016-17 Hmmm....

youngman42

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Current Scholarship Players - 9 (pending transfers):

2 Chase Jeter F 6-10 195 FR Las Vegas, NV
3 Grayson Allen G 6-5 205 SO Jacksonville, FL
5 Luke Kennard G 6-5 180 FR Franklin, OH
12 Derryck Thornton G 6-2 175 FR Chatsworth, CA
13 Matt Jones G 6-5 200 JR Desoto, TX
21 Amile Jefferson F 6-9 225 SR Philadelphia, PA
30 Antonio Vrankovic C 7-1 270 FR Delray Beach, FL
34 Sean Obi F 6-9 265 SO Kaduna, Nigeria
50 Justin Robinson F 6-8 190 FR SAN ANTONIO, TX

5 recruits coming in for sure:
Giles
Tatum
Jackson
DeLaurier
Jack White - the Aussie who recently committed. I presume he's on scholarship vs. preferred walk-on status.

That's 14. If Bolden comes in, then 15. So, two need to be out.

Clearly, Thornton is the strongly rumored transfer. But, who else might transfer if Bolden is in? Any thoughts?

Obi? Jeter?

Would hate it for Obi. He seemed like he had promise after transferring and he had two years here at Duke. Would be great for him to get his degree at Duke.

Reactions: Willcampbell
Guessing that Robinson would return back to being a preferred walk-on. I believe that he was bumped up to scholarship this past season because Sulaimon was unexpectedly no longer on the team and there was another scholarship available. Also, I'm assuming Thornton will be transferring.

Robinson's scholarship will always be dependent on whether we have one available, and next year looks like there won't be.
Bolden has not committed yet, so we're set... but he is rumored to be leaning our way.
There is the DT transfer rumor and the Obi retirement rumor. Currently, though, we're fine.

Well, Justin Robinson is only a preferred walk-on. He had a scholarship this past season because one was available. That won't be the case next season. So don't count him among the scholarship players.

To your other point, folks close to the situation still feel as if Thornton is going to transfer. I'm not sure it's a done deal, but people who typically have a good pulse on matters are leaning that way. So we'll see.

As for Obi, I'm hearing chronic knee problems may force him into 'retirement'. If true, that obviously sucks for him. However, that's just hearsay....I've also heard he could graduate this summer and explore playing somewhere next season as a grad transfer.

I was going to start a similar thread...glad you beat me to it so I don't have to take the heat. Let's say Robinson doesn't get a scholly, because he didn't have one to begin with. That's still 13. Rumors aside, what if Thornton doesn't want to transfer? What if Obi doesn't want to "retire", whatever the heck that means?
Who loses a scholly just to get Bolden? Anyone want Jefferson to lose his because he's already had his four years? I doubt it.
Unless I hear that Thornton sincerely wants to transfer or Obi sincerely wants to say bye-bye, then there's only one solution with integrity: tell Bolden to have a nice day. You're on the dock but the ship has sailed.
OFC

Grayson coming back was huge. I'm not really worried about Bolden, DT, or scholly numbers. Next year is going to be special. Whoever we have on the final roster, I hope they gel and get like Amile between the ears.

Five fingers make a fist. We look to have two pretty good fists with some spare fingers.

Reactions: pisgah101
then there's only one solution with integrity: tell Bolden to have a nice day. You're on the dock but the ship has sailed.
OFC
That depends on whether Jack White was promised a scholarship and whether Obi is physically able to play. If Obi can't do it, we don't "owe" him a scholarship. It's a yearly contract, unless K promised him 3 years in the beginning. I seriously doubt K told Obi he had a spot unconditionally for three years.

Would really hate to lose a guy who doesn't have to go/want to go. Even if Obi could never play again because of his knees, I would hate to see him go if he had his heart on staying.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Who loses a scholly just to get Bolden? Anyone want Jefferson to lose his because he's already had his four years? I doubt it.
Unless I hear that Thornton sincerely wants to transfer or Obi sincerely wants to say bye-bye, then there's only one solution with integrity: tell Bolden to have a nice day. You're on the dock but the ship has sailed.
OFC

If that hasn't happened then I'd venture to guess it's because the staff knows something we don't.

I was going to start a similar thread...glad you beat me to it so I don't have to take the heat. Let's say Robinson doesn't get a scholly, because he didn't have one to begin with. That's still 13. Rumors aside, what if Thornton doesn't want to transfer? What if Obi doesn't want to "retire", whatever the heck that means?
OFC
I agree with this completely. I'm just going to trust we're in talks to add Bolden precisely because these two scenarios with DT and Obi are on the table and not the other way around.

Reactions: Willcampbell
Who ever is on next years roster some how Coach K will be a villain because he will be accused of giving some one the shaft. OFC

While reading twitter today and pondering this very question, I found myself thinking back to when I blasted Kentucky fans for supporting Cal coming in and basically telling players to take a hike. I'm certainly not saying anybody on this forum is advocating forcing a kid out, I'm speaking more towards twitter users that claim to be Duke fans. I can't help but feel hypocritical at this time. Honestly, if we don't have room for Bolden, so be it. His fault for taking so long to decide. Again, not saying anything about this forum and its users. More of a response to what I've been seeing from "Duke fans" on social media. I hope that makes sense.

Reactions: Neners
A couple of years ago, there was a discussion about players being 'encouraged' to leave. Many were upset that Duke fans even had the discussion...

Now, in somewhat selfishness of some, we can't wait for DT to transfer or Obi retire!

It's not about K being a villian. It's about getting a SHIP!

Well Hendo, Mike G, Elliott, Boat, Taylor, Austin, Sheed, etc...all might have been asked to go for a recruit or chemistry purposes.

Last edited:
If that hasn't happened then I'd venture to guess it's because the staff knows something we don't.

Agreed. And let's not forget that we recently took a commit from Jack White. It's inconceivable to me that we would be shopping around the scholarship of one of our current guys just to get someone like Jack White. That just doesn't make any sense -- particularly now that we see the rumors were true about Grayson leaning towards staying. If we're operating as if one of our guys will be leaving, it has to be because the staff has good reason to believe that at least one member of our current roster will not be suiting up next season to play.

Reactions: twdukefan
Obi seems like a good kid, but if his knees won't let him play at a high level, he gotta give up that Scholarship.

At one time there was mention of Jeter leaving. Nothing to that I guess???

At one time there was mention of Jeter leaving. Nothing to that I guess???
After the news broke about Grayson's return next year, Chase put a picture on Instagram of him and Grayson. He seemed really excited about it so I'm assuming he will be here next year as well.

Reactions: bob_duke_jd
I never ever thought that Jeter would even consider leaving. And, just my personal opinion, I really don't think DT will leave?! After some time to reflect on his situation, realize the team he will be on next year (and the opportunity it affords), and after discussing with Coach K and Staff, I just think he stays. He just doesn't strike me as a kid to run from a challenge.
Obviously, the Staff knows what needs to be done (they just don't feel the need to tell us yet :(). Robinson back to preferred walk-on will take care of part of the problem, and then someone will have to sacrifice or red shirt, cause I have no doubt that if Bolden wants to come to Duke, room will be made. I really like Obi, but if his knees are as bad as everyone is saying, something has to be done.
I prefer to leave it up to "K" and trust in his decision, he will do what is best for everyone involved.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Reactions: hpnole
Agreed. And let's not forget that we recently took a commit from Jack White. It's inconceivable to me that we would be shopping around the scholarship of one of our current guys just to get someone like Jack White. That just doesn't make any sense -- particularly now that we see the rumors were true about Grayson leaning towards staying. If we're operating as if one of our guys will be leaving, it has to be because the staff has good reason to believe that at least one member of our current roster will not be suiting up next season to play.

Exactly. They know things that we do not.

Redshirting still counts against the scholarship count. So the staff must know something. Sounds like somebody is leaving. Time will tell. I just hope none of our current players feel pushed out.

Guess this is a dumb question, but , can one of the scholarship players be given an academic or any other kind of ship? Or is that and NCAA no no?

Reactions: trillguy25
Langdon was on a baseball scholly wasn't he? Or was he playing in the Minors for the Blue Jays? Reggie Love was on football scholarship. If Obi's knees weren't bad, Cut could suit him up, freeing one up.

Wondering if Amile could receive an academic scholarship for his last season? He's been on the ACC All Academic team the last two years right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT