ADVERTISEMENT

Crazies plans scrapped for UVA GAME-

So TOTALLY random story...

My wife went down to Puerto Rico last week to see the show Hamilton.

At one point she was in an Uber, and chatting with the driver. He mentioned his son played college basketball. She said that her husband is a big basketball fan, a Duke guy. So the driver says "Oh how funny... my son has been in touch with people at Duke... he helped beat the #1 seed as the #16 seed last year in the NCAA tournament, and they want him to come up because Duke is playing the same team!"

So yeah, Mr. Maura was her Uber driver!

Its a very positive move. The Crazies planned to focus Maura's presence at the game on explosive shooting guard Kyle Guye. Guye has experienced severe deression over that game and even sought therapy. He was even targeted by death threats from angry Cavalier fans for poor performance vs UMBC...

We're better than this at Duke. Crazies antics are awesome, but this plan was too extreme....

OFC

Yeah I don't know about this one. Like, what's the harm? If a dude got invited and wants to show up, let him show up.
If his ticket is paid I don't see what they can do.about it really. Kind of upset K didn't tell him to shove it. Also,the UVA bandwagoners in the comments of the article are cute.

Reactions: PixelDevil
Its a very positive move. The Crazies planned to focus Maura's presence at the game on explosive shooting guard Kyle Guye. Guye has experienced severe deression over that game and even sought therapy. He was even targeted by death threats from angry Cavalier fans for poor performance vs UMBC...

We're better than this at Duke. Crazies antics are awesome, but this plan was too extreme....

OFC
Should I list all the Duke players who have received death threats? Lol

Should I list all the Duke players who have received death threats? Lol

No I really do not need the info, but its a public forum go ahead if it trips your trigger. Why give the Cavs MORE MOTIVATION??? Considering what Guye's been thru, I think it simply infringes upon human decency, and would be in very poor taste. I am glad K put a halt on this one. Besides IIRC, we pay a visit to Charlottesville later this year....OFC

Reactions: GillJET
No I really do not need the info, but its a public forum go ahead if it trips your trigger. Why give the Cavs MORE MOTIVATION??? Considering what Guye's been thru, I think it simply infringes upon human decency, and would be in very poor taste. I am glad K put a halt on this one. Besides IIRC, we pay a visit to Charlottesville later this year....OFC
My trigger is always tripped lol. No, but seriously, I don't see a real issue. I get the whole suffering depression from it thing, and if that's true then that sucks for him. Depression can be an absolute beast to get a handle on. That being said taunting and doing anything you can to.throw an opponent off comes with the territory of playing ball. No one showed Grayson any sympathy, or Redick, or countless other Dukies, and they came out okay. Guy simply has to man up and move on. He should be respected at Cameron sure, but absolutely shown no.quarter.

I don’t really care one way or the other....I’ll support whatever they decided.

I will say that cheering against UVA isn’t mean. Having fun at their expense with a UMBC player is somewhat creative. It’s sports. Now, if the Crazies had signs made mocking Guy’s bout with depression and mental health in general....well, that would be unacceptable. As far as I know, that wasn’t the plan.

How often do we get mocked about Mercer and Lehigh? If true it’s a very odd move by the coach. Why would you ever want to move on from that win, it’s historic for the players, the program and the school. I can’t imagine it being talked about on national tv is going to be a distraction for his current team.

I will say it, boooooooooo. Would have been a good one.

Virginia was bonding together w/Guye over the stunt and using it as motivation for months. This takes a little air out of that balloon. We're doing the right thing overall and evidently Coach K agrees....

True its horrible what Grayson and Reddick, Laettner were subjected to- good point Shatter. However that doesnt mean we have to emulate those other crowds...

OFC

How often do we get mocked about Mercer and Lehigh? If true it’s a very odd move by the coach. Why would you ever want to move on from that win, it’s historic for the players, the program and the school. I can’t imagine it being talked about on national tv is going to be a distraction for his current team.

UMBC Coach Odom (one of two of Dave Odom's sons in coaching told K they want to "move on from that win," historic as it may be, plus I am sure he has empathy for his ex-player....
OFC

Virginia was bonding together w/Guye over the stunt and using it as motivation for months. This takes a little air out of that balloon. We're doing the right thing overall and evidently Coach K agrees....

True its horrible what Grayson and Reddick, Laettner were subjected to- good point Shatter. However that doesnt mean we have to emulate those other crowds...

OFC

I highly doubt UVA is going to be less motivated because of this. Also, I don't think Coach K necessarily thinks this would have been a bad thing, it sounds as though he's respecting the wishes of the UMBC coach. I think he would have squashed it long ago had he been dead set against it.

And lastly, I don't think the Crazies were looking to emulate "other crowds" whatsoever and be mean to Guy. They were going to have a little fun with the biggest upset in the history of the NCAA Tournament. It was directed at UVA, not one specific player.

So TOTALLY random story...

My wife went down to Puerto Rico last week to see the show Hamilton.

At one point she was in an Uber, and chatting with the driver. He mentioned his son played college basketball. She said that her husband is a big basketball fan, a Duke guy. So the driver says "Oh how funny... my son has been in touch with people at Duke... he helped beat the #1 seed as the #16 seed last year in the NCAA tournament, and they want him to come up because Duke is playing the same team!"

So yeah, Mr. Maura was her Uber driver!

Man, that is wild. Small world as they say.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I don’t really care one way or the other....I’ll support whatever they decided.

I will say that cheering against UVA isn’t mean. Having fun at their expense with a UMBC player is somewhat creative. It’s sports. Now, if the Crazies had signs made mocking Guy’s bout with depression and mental health in general....well, that would be unacceptable. As far as I know, that wasn’t the plan.

100% Agree with this. Whatever Guy went through as far as mental health should be left alone. However, being a D1 player and coming into Cameron... he needs to be ready for that environment. Having the UMBC player come should have not been changed. It's all in good fun. Please believe that UVA fan base will bring it and not worry about any Duke players feelings when Duke comes to JPJ.

Being a Duke fan living in VA... this game is big. I can't go anywhere without somebody talking to me about the game this coming weekend.

After all the harassment that Redick and Allen went though at away games in their careers... Duke fans can't feel but so sorry for another player coming into their arena. Yes leave the mental health issues alone.. but don't roll out the red carpet treatment for him in Cameron. Yeah.. I am not a fan of this getting cancelled. Let the Crazies have their fun.

I even talked with a guy that has some connections to UVA that said he heard that Guy himself was going to contribute to the Go Fund Me page. Like said earlier.. it's all in good fun and I think even Guy knows that.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I highly doubt UVA is going to be less motivated because of this. Also, I don't think Coach K necessarily thinks this would have been a bad thing, it sounds as though he's respecting the wishes of the UMBC coach. I think he would have squashed it long ago had he been dead set against it.

And lastly, I don't think the Crazies were looking to emulate "other crowds" whatsoever and be mean to Guy. They were going to have a little fun with the biggest upset in the history of the NCAA Tournament. It was directed at UVA, not one specific player.

Directed toward UVA but particular emphasis on Guye...."Lets make kyle guye weep."

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/1/3/18165248/kyle-guy-virginia-umbc-ncaa-tournament-anxiety

First, it’s Kyle Guy.

Second, you realize this article came out after that tweet, correct? Do you really think the tweet would have been that insensitive had they known about Guy’s condition? Were they supposed to guess?

Guye's admissions of his problems were made public on social media prior to this article...This is the HUMANE thing to do, and I think it works out best for all involved. OFC

I wonder if K had anything to do with this. With Tre, that was going to be a tough win. Without Tre, and with as well as UVA is playing right now, it is more than a tough win.
Look, the ACC is good. In any given year, no matter how good Duke was in that year, there were always a few potential home losses on the schedule. That is life in a top tier hoops conf like the ACC. But it has been the rare home game, going in, that Duke had a chance to take a sizeable beating. I'm not saying that UVA will stomp us. I am saying, this is the first home game since the 95 season where that is a decent chance going into the game.
This stunt would have looked OK in a close loss. In a blowout home loss, this would make Duke and the Crazies look like chumps. I wonder if K maybe stepped in to help all parties save face.

I don't wish any harm on Guy, but he's playing a sport, and sports have fans, and fans make fun of shit like a #1 seed getting beat by a 16 seed. If he has any aspirations of playing in the NBA then he better learn how to handle it...'cause it ain't gettin' any easier.

OFC

Last edited:
I wonder if K had anything to do with this. With Tre, that was going to be a tough win. Without Tre, and with as well as UVA is playing right now, it is more than a tough win.
Look, the ACC is good. In any given year, no matter how good Duke was in that year, there were always a few potential home losses on the schedule. That is life in a top tier hoops conf like the ACC. But it has been the rare home game, going in, that Duke had a chance to take a sizeable beating. I'm not saying that UVA will stomp us. I am saying, this is the first home game since the 95 season where that is a decent chance going into the game.
This stunt would have looked OK in a close loss. In a blowout home loss, this would make Duke and the Crazies look like chumps. I wonder if K maybe stepped in to help all parties save face.

Patrick I know you've received some grief here buddy for a post. Let me just say the above post was stated very well... OFC

I don't wish any harm on Guy, but he's playing a sport, and sports have fans, and fans make fun of shit like a #1 seed getting beat by a 16 seed. If he has any aspirations of playing in the NBA then he better learn how to handle it...'cause it ain't gettin' any easier.
And

Dirt you're a helluva man and I have great respect for you.Btw you're right he must brace himself as life gets harder and more complicated as we grow older.

However tampering with a player's demons and inner turmoil is something I would prefer our fans refrain from....I really couldnt care less about what fans in the NBA do, I care about Duke! OFC

Patrick I know you've received some grief here buddy for a post. Let me just say the above post was stated very well... OFC

Man, I'll state this again, for folks that won't realize it:

WE MIGHT GET DESTROYED ON SATURDAY NIGHT,
AT HOME.
It has been years since we faced that. The last time, in 95, predated the lives, and certainly the fandom, of many posters. With Tre, we might still have lost that game. UVA was playing better than Duke. But it would have been a close loss. Now, it might not be a close loss. We might get wrecked, at home, by a team that will not let up no matter how bad it gets. Blowing out Duke, in CIS, would silence some of talk about how UVA doesn't do anything in March. It would appease a fanbase that is humiliated after last March's failure. It might get ugly.
People giving me grief might have very different opinions come 8:30 on Saturday night. Or after a UNC game. Or in the ACCT. Or in the NCAAT. We needed a healthy Tre all season. If he misses a month or so, that might be enough to derail the season. The full weight of what his loss means hasn't hit yet. We might get to a point where people would give anything to have Tre back, or to have had him back much sooner than he ultimately comes back. Then his decision to dive on the court might be considered in a different light.
I'd love love love love to be wrong. But I always consider the worst case scenario, and work to avoid that. I very much fear that this fan base will realize what they've lost. Because they haven't realized it yet. Sure, we lost a home game to a mediocre Cuse team. We didn't have Cam, which hurt, but also gave us an excuse. With Cam we can beat a Cuse. To win a title, we are going to have to beat much, much better teams than that. Without Tre, that will be very hard to do.

Dirt you're a helluva man and I have great respect for you.Btw you're right he must brace himself as life gets harder and more complicated as we grow older.

However tampering with a player's demons and inner turmoil is something I would prefer our fans refrain from....I really couldnt care less about what fans in the NBA do, I care about Duke! OFC

I like, and respect you a lot too, hart, and don't have a problem with what you've posted, but i just see it differently. Everyone has demons, and there are tons of people who have problems dealing with any number of things, but they do the best they can, and let the chips fall where they may. As long as no one is throwing 'batteries' at him (or some such physical attack), or attacking his family (by screaming at them (up close and personal), etc.), then I'm okay with fan 'taunting'.

OFC

Side note, the worst person in this was the player coming to Duke. IT would not be a good look for him, no matter the outcome. I'm glad wiser heads stepped in save himself from himself.

I like, and respect you a lot too, hart, and don't have a problem with what you've posted, but i just see it differently. Everyone has demons, and there are tons of people who have problems dealing with any number of things, but they do the best they can, and let the chips fall where they may. As long as no one is throwing 'batteries' at him (or some such physical attack), or attacking his family (by screaming at them (up close and personal), etc.), then I'm okay with fan 'taunting'.

OFC

We can agree to disagree my good friend!

OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Do we really think this UVA team will destroy us? Cmon! While UVA did beat us last year, it was only by 2 points..not to mention Duval/Allen/Trent scoring a combined 19 points. UVA returns 5 players from that team. If we almost beat them last year, we can beat them this year.. I have my faith in RJ/Zion/Cam.

Mental illness is nothing to joke about, even for professional athletes.
However, the Crazies have showed ZERO indication that this was anything more than good-natured fun, I don't see anything wrong here at all.

Kyle Guy came from a VERY wealthy area in Indiana, from a 2-parent household, and plays ACC D-1 basketball, he may not play in the NBA, but he will have a long professional career. He also just got engaged. Again...I'm not making excuses for him, but he is in a situation that 99.999999% of basketball fans would do anything for.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT