ADVERTISEMENT

Count down thoughts?

sheyduke

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 14, 2010
I was more impressed with the defensive output .

I liked how Evans did not show boat. He made a shot and got back on defense.

This was a scrimmage but I liked the effort on defense .

Not sure I’m sold on the Knup hype as he appeared to be what we thought which is a shooter but it is a scrimmage .

Man Man is lively part two except without the preseason injury.

The transfers will contribute but a lot will be from the experience of the college level .

Fosters free throws are still the same but he looks more confident as does Proctor.

I’m ready to see this team against an opponent but there will be a learning curve . The defense capabilities are surely there.

Reactions: christophero
Just watched the highlights. Foster looked really good, much better than Proctor to be honest. No way Foster comes off the bench if he has made the leap which he appears to have done. We shot well but seem 3 happy. We don't seem to have much of a post up game but have some good slashers. Mal is bigger and better than I thought; definitely the rim protector we lacked last year. He's somewhat raw offensively but can finish and is a legit 240. Sion seems ahead of Gillis; he is much more aggressive. Sion definitely has some DeMarcus Nelson to his game and is a good finisher. Gillis is solid and a pure role player in a quiet way. Evans and Kon impressed and seem to bring different things to the table. Evans reminded of Mitchell when he was playing well with his athletic slashing but seems to be a better shooter. Kon has a nice shot but does seem a bit slow. Cooper is smooth; he has a game that reminded me of a more athletic Dunleavy. That reverse dunk was nasty. Brown is solid; seems happy doing the dirty work. Harris is more than a shooter; he will be a good one down the road. Cooper and Foster looked like NBA guys to me. Mal could probably use 2 years but the scouts like his length and upside. Proctor played good D and made some nice passes.

Last edited:
Just watched the highlights. Foster looked really good, much better than Proctor to be honest. No way Foster comes off the bench if he has made the leap which he appears to have done. We shot well but seem 3 happy. We don't seem to have much of a post up game but have some good slashers. Mal is bigger and better than I thought; definitely the rim protector we lacked last year. Sion seems ahead of Gillis; he is much more aggressive. Sion definitely has some DeMarcus Nelson to his game and is a good finisher. Gillis is solid and a pure role player in a quiet way. Evans and Kon impressed and seem to bring different things to the table. Evans reminded of Mitchell when he was playing well with his athletic slashing but seems to be a better shooter. Kon has a nice shot but does seem a bit slow. Cooper is smooth; he has a game that reminded me of a more athletic Dunleavy. Brown is solid; seems happy doing the dirty work. Harris is more than a shooter; he will be a good one down the road. Cooper and Foster looked like NBA guys to me. Mal could probably use 2 years but the scouts like his length and upside. Proctor played good D and made some nice passes.
I watched the entire thing from start to finish . I don’t think there was any push on offense from the staff . I think the focus was on defense. Really didn’t see offensive sets being ran . I also agree the three’s were definitely being shot . Even Mal shot one .

Reactions: christophero
Good summaries guys.

I was disappointed that Maluach was used only in PNRs and no post ups. I guess he doesn't have a post up game at this point. I think that takes away his length advantage but I guess they want him rolling to the basket a lot.

Gillis looks to be more of a 3 and D guy and he will get PT because of his experience and toughness. Knoeppel has talent but at one point either Evans or Foster blew right past him. There will be times when he's over matched on defense.

I like Foster and Proctor playing together especially since they seem to be good friends. Having 2 point guards to push the ball up court will be a benefit. Sion will get lots of PT as the main guard off the bench. I could see a 25/25/25 breakdown of minutes with Evans getting some time also at the guard spot.

Frankly I haven't seen Cooper as a dominant player yet, more of a do everything guy like Battier which of course is a wonderful thing if that is what he can do.

Brown is very solid but definitely plays below the rim. I hope Ngongba is able to play eventually.

I'm sure they'll look a lot different in a few weeks.

I didn’t watch it, and never do. I don’t think there’s anything that can be an indicator on any of the guys.
We need real games, and imo, about 3-4 to get any decent idea.

The only issue I noticed is we seem to be entirely a face the basket team. Mal can dunk and finish but he's not a catch and jump hook type of finisher. He's more like Lively. Big guys usually develop those types of moves in year 2 or 3.

why show all your cards at a scrimmage meant to be nothing but a glorified pick up game?
The game against ASU will really show some of what we’ve been hearing about this team.

Really don’t need a post game if this team flys up the court like they were doing . The uptempo style we’ve been looking for the last two seasons , this team has it . One to three passes and we’re at the offensive basket .

IF the bench can truly keep up with productivity when subbed in on both offense and defense . How many teams in the NCAA can really stay fresh. The bench is key with this team .

Reactions: pisgah101
why show all your cards at a scrimmage meant to be nothing but a glorified pick up game?
The game against ASU will really show some of what we’ve been hearing about this team.

Really don’t need a post game if this team flys up the court like they were doing . The uptempo style we’ve been looking for the last two seasons , this team has it . One to three passes and we’re at the offensive basket .

IF the bench can truly keep up with productivity when subbed in on both offense and defense . How many teams in the NCAA can really stay fresh. The bench is key with this team .

Any news on getting tix for that ASU game

Think it went about almost what we thought for each player from an individual perspective. Kon/Harris shooting, Mal rim protecting, Coop do-everything, etc.

Really interested to see how we do tempo-wise and how Kon does on switches. Off the top, seemed like every scrimmage/practice video I saw CFOS driving on him every time. Understandable but that seems to be the easy scout on us if we plan to do a lot of switching. Mal will probably be critical for that reason.

Also, really interested to see how we go tempo-wise. If I remember right, Jon’s adj tempo these past two seasons were on the slower side. ASU game may give us some better insight.

Reactions: sheyduke and Liftee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT