ADVERTISEMENT

Can anyone see Joey Baker eventually starting this year?

I believe Tre, Baker, Moore, Hurt, and Carey get the start while Stanley is out... I will say AOC, in the minutes and games going forward will need to play better. He hasn't got much burn, but imo will get more clock also since Stanley is out... AOC is just so inconsistent, I just hope the entire team gets better.

Reactions: Duke Blu
Timo, you got the following:

Tre
Moore
White
Hurt
Carey

This lineup scares me in terms of shooting. I hope Jack and Moore can be more consistent from the outside then they’ve been

Joey has to start now and we need to make sure we get him shots. His defense isn’t that bad. Hell JJ wasn’t a good defender but we figured it out with him on the floor. Not saying Joey is JJ but he’s our best shooter by far this year. He has to play now that Cassius is out

Reactions: Duke Blu
I still think K should start Alex or Jordan while Cassius is out. Alex could use something to boost his confidence, maybe this could get him going. Or if Jordan starts than we press the hell out of the ball the whole time him and Tre are in together.

I love Joey coming off the bench for points. If you consider our other main bench guys: Jordan, Jack, and Javin, there is not really gonna be much scoring between those 3, Joey Baker should be our main bench scorer, a lot like Andre Dawkins for the 2010 team.

Now that it seems Joey is gonna be getting legit minutes in competitive situations, can we talk about his defense?? To be blunt, it's bad. He's the furthest behind defensively of anyone on the team, and it makes sense why he didn't play in the Kansas game. He's weak and is rarely in correct position.
I absolutely love his energy though, and you can tell he wants to be great, can't say the same for Alex.

Reactions: skysdad
I still think K should start Alex or Jordan while Cassius is out. Alex could use something to boost his confidence, maybe this could get him going. Or if Jordan starts than we press the hell out of the ball the whole time him and Tre are in together.

I love Joey coming off the bench for points. If you consider our other main bench guys: Jordan, Jack, and Javin, there is not really gonna be much scoring between those 3, Joey Baker should be our main bench scorer, a lot like Andre Dawkins for the 2010 team.

Now that it seems Joey is gonna be getting legit minutes in competitive situations, can we talk about his defense?? To be blunt, it's bad. He's the furthest behind defensively of anyone on the team, and it makes sense why he didn't play in the Kansas game. He's weak and is rarely in correct position.
I absolutely love his energy though, and you can tell he wants to be great, can't say the same for Alex.

The starting of AOC may work. It's worth a game or two and if not do something else. Starting Joey right now may put a little too much pressure on him. He seems to do well coming off the bench. Personally I think he starts Jack. I'll leave it up to Coach K .OFC

Easier said than done, but Alex needs to see one go through the net. That’s the thing that is keeping him from getting more minutes.
We might see a different kid if he can hit one or even two in a row.

Dre was such a beast that year!

Joey is so much better as a reliable 6th man. We need his offense off the bench.

I will eat my words, Joey is ready. Matchups play a role, but my belief is he can make money(shots) with Carey on the block passing it out to him.

Wait. Wait. Hold up. I thought Baker was transferring at the end of the semester? Is that not happening anymore?

Reactions: hart2chesson
Moore is trending down the last couple of games while Joey is trending up. Sit Moore, start Joey, see how he responds.

Moore is trending down the last couple of games while Joey is trending up. Sit Moore, start Joey, see how he responds.
Not yet. That may kill Moore’s confidence, or what little he has right now. Baker is thriving in his role. No denying that Moore is in a little funk.

But we have way too many guys on here that are Ready, Fire, then Aim.

Everything is fine with Joey coming off the bench. He seems comfortable in that role and right noway I like a defensive and rebound minded Jack starting to help Carey on the boards even though Jack is not now a scoring threat. OFC

Everything is fine with Joey coming off the bench. He seems comfortable in that role and right noway I like a defensive and rebound minded Jack starting to help Carey on the boards even though Jack is not now a scoring threat. OFC

Even though the season is early, the way Duke played with Jack in the lineup made life so much easier for Carey and Hurt. Joey and Moore should come off the bench. Stanley is a slasher and decent shooter. He will also give you the same level of defense Moore provides.

The chemistry looked real good last night, and Joey was extremely comfortable knowing he just needed to score and play with the second unit.

He played with a chip on his shoulder last night. Just watched the game, he had some good fouls where he wasn't going to let the ball get to the rim and some energy plays besides scoring. His confidence is sky high right now and has people jumping on the shot fake because he is hitting shots. Great game by Joey Buckets.

I am very disappointed in AOC and don't think he has done anything to deserve starting. I like him a lot but he has been around too long to be still taking one lateral dribble and giving up the ball. Haven't seen an aggressive drive to the basket since that one dunk he had earlier. He had 2 turnovers last night in a short time simply because he has no court awareness. Very sad.

Reactions: tw3301
Obviously we all believe that both AOC and Joey can shoot. I think AOC is playing timid and scared because he knows that he has a short leash and that leash is getting shorter and shorter. Until he changes his mindset he's gonna keep struggling.

I say we keep Baker where he's at as the perfect 6th or 7th man.

Obviously we all believe that both AOC and Joey can shoot. I think AOC is playing timid and scared because he knows that he has a short leash and that leash is getting shorter and shorter. Until he changes his mindset he's gonna keep struggling.

I say we keep Baker where he's at as the perfect 6th or 7th man.
Can AOC shoot? I'm not sure I've seen it other than a game here and there. At this point Baker should be getting all of his minutes.

^I guess that's my assumption. Don't think K would have brought him here if he couldn't shoot and from what we've heard, he can as well. I agree Baker should be getting more minutes than him but at some point he's gonna have to get it together because we're gonna need him.

I think Baker is just scratching the surface. To me, he's not some average talent playing beyond himself. The kid can play the game. His use of the ball fake is something you don't see guys older than him consistently do as well as he does. At the rate he seems to be growing with each game, I can see him eventually entering that starting lineup and not leaving it, as well as playing significant minutes. Kid plays with a chip on his shoulder (I LOVED that hard but legal foul ensuring the guy didn't get a chance to make that layup.)

I just don't know how anyone can say definitely that Baker is best where he is IF we've not yet seen him in a starting role.

Keep it up young man, keep it up.

Reactions: tw3301
Baker along with 7 other Blue Devils have strong cases to start on a game to game basis (dependent on matchups). Jones and Carey are the only locks to start every game.

Reactions: skysdad and tw3301
I'm in favor to leave Joey right where he's at. It may just mess up what's working right now lol. Beast off the bench when the starters have run the opponents crazy with defense and then you have another weapon coming in to light you up. It can be demoralizing.
He's showing it's not about who starts, but who is finishing the game most times.

I'm in favor to leave Joey right where he's at. It may just mess up what's working right now lol. Beast off the bench when the starters have run the opponents crazy with defense and then you have another weapon coming in to light you up. It can be demoralizing.
He's showing it's not about who starts, but who is finishing the game most times.

He reminds me of the Andre Dawkins effect from the 2009-2010 season. This team reminds me a lot of the 2009-2010 team!

Sometimes we just get a little too reactionary.

Joey is playing great right now. I like what he’s doing and he seems to be thriving in his role. For all we know, he might be transferring again in January.
His high fives were a little lackluster tonight.

I don’t think he needs to start this year, regardless of how good he is playing.. he needs to be our spark off the bench.

Jones & Carey need to start.. then some mix of Stanley, Moore, AOC, White, and Hurt in the other 3 slots.

Joey, I advocated for you to start, you actually make it happen and then go and play like you was angry for starting lol

Just kidding folks just kidding

Baker blows up this year,averages 22.5 points per game for the rest on the ACC season,goes crazy in the ACC tourney,averages 24 points per game,leading Duke to the ACC tournament title.In the NCAA Tourney,Baker becomes a Legend,leading Duke to their 6;th National Championship,Baker averages 27 points per game and declares for the NBA draft,ending all discussions about his burning his red shirt his freshman year

So far, this year proves it was worth the "risk" to burn the red shirt last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT