ADVERTISEMENT

Andy Katz on Devils, rest of ACC for upcoming year..

Agreed Mr. Sumner and nice to have you at the board lately.

Reactions: dbav
Yeah Zion over RJ? I feel like Katz is reaching a little. Though I think Kyle Guy wins player of the year.

Reactions: youngman42
I like Andy Katz and can't believe ESPN let him go in favor of some of the loud mouths they kept.

Still, I'd like to know his reason for putting Zion on the first team and leaving off any one of Tre/RJ or Cam. I think Zion will be a highlight real but one of the others will be consistently the leader.

I like Andy Katz and can't believe ESPN let him go in favor of some of the loud mouths they kept.

Still, I'd like to know his reason for putting Zion on the first team and leaving off any one of Tre/RJ or Cam. I think Zion will be a highlight real but one of the others will be consistently the leader.

Amen Liftee, nice post....Andy obviously knows the game well, and I am mystified he had Z first team over RJ. However Andy is FAR from a "moron" as an earlier poster described him....

OFC

Amen Liftee, nice post....Andy obviously knows the game well, and I am mystified he had Z first team over RJ. However Andy is FAR from a "moron" as an earlier poster described him....

OFC
Anyone who has RJ off the ACC 1st team is a moron. No wonder ESPN let him go.........

Reactions: PixelDevil

I think that the wing guard and wing forward positions are loaded in college hoops. That hurts guys like Cam and RJ. The lack, and glaring one at that, wrt post players opens up more chances for Zion.
I know that these teams are "positionless" but the reality is that Cam and RJ will be compared to other wings. And other wings will have larger roles because our wings will be splitting wing duties, especially with another great wing off the bench.
I think our wings will show out just fine, but I get that some media types may be wary. I'd bet our guys are both on his 2nd or 3rd team, but I'd bet the house on it being the second team.

A healthy Barrett has no excuse but to strive for 1st team AA. If he’s not at that level, something went wrong and I’d bet we’re not at a great place in our season. If Zion and RJ are 1st team All-ACC level and Tre is proving to be a good, healthy leader, things will go well.

And Cam is one of those guys who will be better as a pro than in college, and playing off of two high level guys will only make his season look better. He has the luxury of playing with two alphas, so his role should be that of cleanup and floor spacer. He’s the one I’m watching most, because his ceiling is so high and floor is so low (only because of the high school habit of coasting when times are tough).

Reactions: timo0402
Anyone who has RJ off the ACC 1st team is a moron. No wonder ESPN let him go.........

RJ hasnt stepped on a collegiate court yet against ACC competition. I am sure Andy has his reasons. No offense, but Andy in an college hoops issues debate would run circles around you, me or ANY of our posters.....ESPN kept some really low caliber talent too like Michelle Beadle and Jalen Rose. Those two are on life support in their morning show....OFC

Sometimes these folks go against the grain just to get attention or to separate themselves from the consensus. Would we be talking about Katz if he had gone with Barrett over Williamson?

Perhaps not, but he did write a good story.However I can see the point of your "click bait" philosophy.Perhaps Duke fans will tweet AK w/their argument per Barrett over Z and it will churn up dialogue (like it has here).

On the other hand Katz may see something in Zion which he feels will separate himself to stand out from the other 3 freshman starters.

OFC

Reactions: Liftee
I think that the wing guard and wing forward positions are loaded in college hoops. That hurts guys like Cam and RJ. The lack, and glaring one at that, wrt post players opens up more chances for Zion.
I know that these teams are "positionless" but the reality is that Cam and RJ will be compared to other wings. And other wings will have larger roles because our wings will be splitting wing duties, especially with another great wing off the bench.
I think our wings will show out just fine, but I get that some media types may be wary. I'd bet our guys are both on his 2nd or 3rd team, but I'd bet the house on it being the second team.

This is All ACC not AA. There isn't a wing in the ACC thats better than RJ. Plus they have Zion and Luke Maye. That's two "bigs"

I don’t like the lack of Senior Leadership that the articles implies. Unless you have a Quinn Cook type player that can check his ego at the door and take a back seat to a guy like RJ, I don’t see how it really matters.

I don’t like the lack of Senior Leadership that the articles implies. Unless you have a Quinn Cook type player that can check his ego at the door and take a back seat to a guy like RJ, I don’t see how it really matters.
Not a good comparison at all. That 15 title team's freshmen were unlike our last few.
We could easily say they checked their ego at the door. That's what title teams do.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Sometimes these folks go against the grain just to get attention or to separate themselves from the consensus. Would we be talking about Katz if he had gone with Barrett over Williamson?

I think this is the biggest part of it. Just like some of the ESPN folks final four predictions. Sometimes they have teams in there that I don't think there is any way they really believe that

Not a good comparison at all. That 15 title team's freshmen were unlike our last few.
We could easily say they checked their ego at the door. That's what title teams do.

I would just add that their (‘15’s) roles were also more defined than some of our latest versions as well. That helps exponentially with chemistry.

I would just add that their (‘15’s) roles were also more defined than some of our latest versions as well. That helps exponentially with chemistry.

And everyone had an "obvious" position. The only one that didn't have an obvious position was Wins, but the face up, small ball college PF is pretty much his ideal position. Cook sliding over to SG, and turning into a great leader, really made that whole team run.

If and when someone becomes a defensive stopper like Winslow, I'll be ready to predict that this team will be in the final four. Then add Grayson in the final four and we realize how every thing came together at exactly the right time.

Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT