ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Tournament Seeding

kwyjibos13

All American
Nov 24, 2012
All it comes down to for seeding purposes is the UL-Virginia. UL wins, UL 4 and UNC 5 regardless what UNC does tonight. UL loses, UNC 4 UL 5 regardless what UNC does tonight.

1. Virginia LOCKED
2. Duke LOCKED
3. Notre Dame LOCKED
4. UL LOCKED (UL-UNC split, UL beat UVA so guaranteed 4th regardless what UNC does against Duke)
5. UNC LOCKED

6. Miami LOCKED
7. NCST LOCKED
8. Clemson LOCKED
9. FSU LOCKED
10. Pitt LOCKED
11. WF LOCKED
12. BC LOCKED
13. GT LOCKED
14. VT LOCKED
This post was edited on 3/7 10:49 PM by kwyjibos13

Every team finishing below Syracuse moves up 1. A 14 team seeded tournament.

I'm still optimistically holding out hope that UVA loses their last 2 regular season games so that we win the regular season title and get that number 1 seed in the ACC tourney which will also solidify us getting a number 1 seed in tho NCAA tourney. I know it's wishful thinking but I'm still holding out hope. lol

Originally posted by DiehardDukeFan4Life:
I'm still optimistically holding out hope that UVA loses their last 2 regular season games so that we win the regular season title and get that number 1 seed in the ACC tourney which will also solidify us getting a number 1 seed in tho NCAA tourney. I know it's wishful thinking but I'm still holding out hope. lol
I know people think that way but we need to reconsider the whole "well so-and-so won the regular season title" bs out of the equation. I have a scenario for you. Duke wins out regular season, loses Semis to ND. UVA loses one in the regular season, loses in ACC semis. Arizona loses and is out of one seed equation. Villanova third one seed. Who is fourth one seed? It is down to Duke and UVA. Duke has four losses, UVA 3. UVA "won the regular season title" but 1. lost to Duke and 2. Cannot hold a candle to Duke's resume. UVA will still get the one, I promise you.

But, if it is the question of being the fourth one and shipped west against hypothetically Kentucky in final four or two seed in Nova's east bracket on opposite end, bring on the 2...

Buck, but I do not know but say this scenario happens: we have Syracuse and team A and B all tied. A lost to B but beat Cuse twice. B beat A but lost to Cuse. With Cuse as normal, it would go 6. A 7. B 8. Cuse. If we do not consider Cuse at all like they are not tied, you have 6. B and 7. A.

And should it come to this and you have two tied teams and H-to-H does not break it. The next thing is to start from the top and go down comparing winning percentage (why Duke beating UVA was huge because it gave us a possibility of a lot of tiebreakers). What if you get to Cuse. Like they do not exist and go to next team (not very likely as Cuse will be middle of pack).
This post was edited on 3/1 4:39 PM by kwyjibos13

This post was edited on 3/1 4:40 PM by kwyjibos13

We need to win our last AND Virgina needs to lose it's last two.

It's a miracle that we can just forget about.

Originally posted by crazyduke3:
We need to win our last AND Virgina needs to lose it's last two.

It's a miracle that we can just forget about.
Yeah I know it's a really long shot and most likely isn't going to happen but as fans we can still hope.

I think it's quite possible both Duke and Virginia can wind up on the 1-line. First and foremost, if UVA wins their last two regular season games they lock up a #1 no matter what....IMO, the ACCT wouldn't matter for them.

It's a bit trickier for us, but a couple things are in our favor. The two biggest being losses by Gonzaga and Wisconsin this past week. Gonzaga is completely off the 1-line consideration. Just pencil them in as a two-seed right now. Wisconsin must win out and win the B1G tournament to move back into consideration. That's possible and maybe even likely, but I think they might need some help from both Duke and Villanova (maybe even Arizona) for that too happen.

If we can win our last two regular season games --- vs. WF and @ UNC --- then we set ourselves up pretty good, IMO....especially if we scratch our way into the ACCT final. Then I think we're that third #1 even if we lost in the championship game. If we lose one of our last two but win the ACCT I still think we're a #1 seed.

Worst-case scenario....we lose one of our final two and then slip up in the ACCT. That puts us on the 2-line. IMO, I don't see a scenario where we slip to a 3-seed (unless we lose both remaining regular season games and in the ACCT).

It's a great time of year....here's to hoping we can make it count. I know I'm looking forward to it.

Originally posted by kwyjibos13:

I know people think that way but we need to reconsider the whole "well so-and-so won the regular season title" bs out of the equation. I have a scenario for you. Duke wins out regular season, loses Semis to ND. UVA loses one in the regular season, loses in ACC semis. Arizona loses and is out of one seed equation. Villanova third one seed. Who is fourth one seed? It is down to Duke and UVA. Duke has four losses, UVA 3. UVA "won the regular season title" but 1. lost to Duke and 2. Cannot hold a candle to Duke's resume. UVA will still get the one, I promise you.

But, if it is the question of being the fourth one and shipped west against hypothetically Kentucky in final four or two seed in Nova's east bracket on opposite end, bring on the 2...

Buck, but I do not know but say this scenario happens: we have Syracuse and team A and B all tied. A lost to B but beat Cuse twice. B beat A but lost to Cuse. With Cuse as normal, it would go 6. A 7. B 8. Cuse. If we do not consider Cuse at all like they are not tied, you have 6. B and 7. A.

And should it come to this and you have two tied teams and H-to-H does not break it. The next thing is to start from the top and go down comparing winning percentage (why Duke beating UVA was huge because it gave us a possibility of a lot of tiebreakers). What if you get to Cuse. Like they do not exist and go to next team (not very likely as Cuse will be middle of pack).

This post was edited on 3/1 4:39 PM by kwyjibos13

This post was edited on 3/1 4:40 PM by kwyjibos13
Im not sure but I'm pretty certain if there's a 3 way tie that includes Syracuse that the games versus Syracuse would help decide the seedings.

If its not that way then it really wouldn't make a lot of sense to me personally because every game Syracuse played this year helped determine the tournament seedings, you know what I'm saying?

Beat Wake on Wed nite and we are guaranteed #2 seed in ACCT.

I really can't imagine us not getting a 1 seed! I think we win the next two and the ACC tourney and go into the NCAA with a HUGE head of steam

Been too long since we've won an ACC something, I want that stinking tournament trophy!!

Originally posted by crazyduke3:
Been too long since we've won an ACC something, I want that stinking tournament trophy!!
I agree completely. It's been 5 years (2010) since we won the ACC regular season title and it's been 4 years (2011) since we won the ACC tourney title.

With the unbalanced ACC reg schedule, while it would be nice, it to me means more about who you play then the whole season. Maybe that is sour grapes, but to me I really want this tourney win. We had a chance last year with three min remaining and then our inability to get stops and timely scores cost us. Hopefully this year we can cut the nets down.

Originally posted by dukiejay:
I think it's quite possible both Duke and Virginia can wind up on the 1-line. First and foremost, if UVA wins their last two regular season games they lock up a #1 no matter what....IMO, the ACCT wouldn't matter for them.

It's a bit trickier for us, but a couple things are in our favor. The two biggest being losses by Gonzaga and Wisconsin this past week. Gonzaga is completely off the 1-line consideration. Just pencil them in as a two-seed right now. Wisconsin must win out and win the B1G tournament to move back into consideration. That's possible and maybe even likely, but I think they might need some help from both Duke and Villanova (maybe even Arizona) for that too happen.

If we can win our last two regular season games --- vs. WF and @ UNC --- then we set ourselves up pretty good, IMO....especially if we scratch our way into the ACCT final. Then I think we're that third #1 even if we lost in the championship game. If we lose one of our last two but win the ACCT I still think we're a #1 seed.

Worst-case scenario....we lose one of our final two and then slip up in the ACCT. That puts us on the 2-line. IMO, I don't see a scenario where we slip to a 3-seed (unless we lose both remaining regular season games and in the ACCT).

It's a great time of year....here's to hoping we can make it count. I know I'm looking forward to it.
If we win the final 2 regular season games + first round of ACCs, I think that's probably enough.

If we lose @ UNC, I think we need the ACC title to be assured of a #1, but probably could still get it if we get to the ACC tournament final and get some help from a couple of Wisconsin / Arizona / Nova losing their conference tourneys.

With that said, I think winning for the purposes of building momentum for the NCAAs is probably more important than the actual seed. Even if we got a #1, I'd be a little nervous about going to the NCAAs coming off losses in 2 of 4. IMO, without jeopardizing our health, I think it would be a big confidence boost to win the ACC tournament title by knocking off UVA for a second time.

Originally posted by timo0402:
With the unbalanced ACC reg schedule, while it would be nice, it to me means more about who you play then the whole season. Maybe that is sour grapes, but to me I really want this tourney win. We had a chance last year with three min remaining and then our inability to get stops and timely scores cost us. Hopefully this year we can cut the nets down.
Personally, I don't think the unbalanced schedule is really an excuse here. Over the last two seasons, Duke is literally the only active ACC member to have beaten UVA. Period. UVA has literally defeated everyone else. 2-0 against Syracuse. 2-0 against UNC. 3-0 against ND. 3-0 against NC State. 2-0 against Pitt. 1-0 against Louisville. While the unbalanced schedule may be worth a game or so in the standings, reality is they beat Duke by 3 games last year and are currently up 2 games. IMO, UVA would have been the ACC champion the past two years even if they had to play our schedule. While our A game may compare favorable to UVA's A game, reality is they're just more consistent on a night-in, night-out basis and, aside from Duke, don't lose close games.

In fact, last year, their only loss outside of Duke (@Maryland) came after they had already clinched the ACC title outright -- making that game somewhat meaningless.

This post was edited on 3/4 10:20 AM by aah555

That is the thing about UVA - the remarkable consistency. They might play below their capabilities for stretches, like the first 10 minutes of the game at Syracuse the other day, but they don't put together full games like that. It is really impressive.

Even so, for whatever reason, I have less confidence in them as a genuine National Championship contender than I should for a team with 1 loss in a power conference this late in the season. Their resume should make them a no-brainer contender, but I just can't seem to feel like they are. I have more faith in the other 5 teams in the top 6 (the current top 6 constitute the real contenders - everyone else is on a lower tier). I think its because while they are the most consistent team in the country, they are consistently really good and very rarely great (if that makes sense).

I would love to be wrong. Outside of Duke, their is no one this year I would rather see cut the nets down (the idea that they won, not the literal enjoyment of watching 6 consecutive 54-48 games).

Back to the top. If Duke wins, Top three seeds are locked. 4-5 is all decided on what Louisville does Saturday, even though UNC is 4 right now.

I actually feel great going into the conference tournament. This team seems to have a lot of quick learners. We really seem to take it to teams the second time around. I assume it is because we get familiar with a team's style of play and know what to look for. Any team we play will be for the second time at least, so I like us in the tournament.

looks like we are on a crash course for a rematch with Nc St....I think we are better prepared to handle their shooters this time around and I don't see them making ridiculous shot after ridiculous shot....If we do end up playing them I would like to see Matt Jones and Winslow covering Turner and Lacey and force them to beat us with 2's.

I dont think we will be going under screens this go round. We have played significantly better perimeter D the last few weeks.

If the three early games results hold

1. Virginia
2. Duke
3. Notre Dame
4. UNC (if UL loses Saturday) UL (If wins Saturday). Seed does not matter what UNC does Saturday.
5. Louisville (loses) UNC (UL wins)

6. Miami
7. NCST
8. Clemson (still has a game to play. 8 if wins)
9. Pitt 8-10
10. FSU 8-10
Pitt owns heads up tiebreaker over FSU thanks to win over ND.
If FSU wins and Clemson loses (three way tie) The three teams compare record against each other. Clemson 8th seed (2-1) FSU 9 (2-2) and Pitt 10 (1-2)

11. WF
12. BC
13. GT
14. VT

Last year, Duke lost on the road to their quarterfinal opponent and avenged the loss. Just saying...

Last year, Duke lost on the road to their quarterfinal opponent and avenged the loss. Just saying...
Well, hopefully we get that chance again. I have wanted to play State again ever since the horned sound in Raleigh that Sunday back in January. That was a long day. Seems like a million years ago now.

I actually like it. UVA, UL and UNC are all more dangerous IMO than anyone on our half....breath NCST and ND to get to the ACC Championship....I'll take that.

LOVE this time of year!

Originally posted by Swim_Bike_Run:
I actually like it. UVA, UL and UNC are all more dangerous IMO than anyone on our half....breath NCST and ND to get to the ACC Championship....I'll take that.

LOVE this time of year!
Such an unbalanced tournament schedule ;)

Originally posted by Jhmoss1812:

Originally posted by Swim_Bike_Run:

LOVE this time of year!
Such an unbalanced tournament schedule ;)
laugh.r191677.gif

Touche.

I have seen an instance where I said a team had no shot of winning (a five seed), saw the brackets come out, and I had them winning (and they did). It is all about match-ups. I like a bracket of us, ND, Miami, NCST, Pitt, Wake and VT.

I have seen an instance where I said a team had no shot of winning (a five seed), saw the brackets come out, and I had them winning (and they did). It is all about match-ups. I like a bracket of us, ND, Miami, NCST, Pitt, Wake and VT.
Don't have to worry about WF and VT, they will be gone early. So what Duke would have left is a possible revenge game against Miami or NCST and a revenge game for ND against Duke. Very interesting, the three teams that defeated Duke all in the same bracket. OFC

Originally posted by Heyman25:

Don't have to worry about WF and VT, they will be gone early. So what Duke would have left is a possible revenge game against Miami or NCST and a revenge game for ND against Duke. Very interesting, the three teams that defeated Duke all in the same bracket. OFC
Very interesting Heyman. I want State and Miami then with a championship game against UVA. I was at the championship game last year when they lost and I will be there again if we make it there Saturday and I want it to be UVA so very badly.

I like the bracket as it is. I think Duke will make a statement to State. This is a better Duke team right. And they would have the motivation of avenging the loss. And as far as the semi game, I think that Duke matches up with ND well. They are small and like to run and it plays into Duke's strengths. We saw that in Cameron. I doubt that Miami beats ND.

And as far as the final is concerned, I'll worry about that when and if the time comes. I won't care who it is. It's the final. Bring it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT