ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Standings are farce

Laettner

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 11, 2002
We play on road against FSU, Louisville, ND & Cuse(30k fans). Heels don't play one road contest against these teams. That's why regular season 1st place means nothing.

Andy Katz mentions we haven't won Reg season title since 2010 then slides in "but Duke did win it all in 2015". Forget national titles, let's win Reg season title with unbalanced schedules. Moron!

How is it an accomplishment when teams have completely different competition levels? Really a shame b/c expansion killed the special meaning of ACC basketball.
Agreed 100%. It was a true championship when the ACC was a home and home schedule. This is 2 years in a row UNC has benefitted from a weaker road schedule. I certainly don't look at it the same and I've been watching ACC hoops for 40+ years. And I feel the same way even if Duke finishes ahead of the field

Unbalanced schedules make the league title a mockery. If you dont face the same teams or have the same home/away difficulty then you really cannot compare records and declare someone a winner based on quantity not quality. Football has solved it with the two division system and then a championship..but that isnt an exact science either. The home/home is the only true measure when everyone plays on to the same schedule.

Reactions: germantondevil
Dukejay is right that it's not a perfect science. It's a weird schedule for sure but if Duke can play solid from here on in we could win Both tournaments and possibly Regular season but we need some help (Holes on road at Pitt and UVA)

Last year UNC played at Louisville, Virginia, Syracuse and Duke.

Carolina will lose one. And it will come down to the game at UNC.

Just like they needed a win at Duke last year.

I'm sure I speak for a number of folks following ACC basketball for a number of years. With expansion and the lack of home and home I agree the regular season has been diminished. Each year some teams benefit and some are hurt. It may have well made our conference the best in NCAA but it has ruined what we had in the 80's and 90's.

It is what is it is. Everyone makes more money. But the ACC from 1970 - 2005 was basketball at its finest. So I agree, the ACC tournament will be more important than the regular season for maybe this year and many into the future until the rules are changed.

Yea, the ACC reg season champ meant more than the tourney back when everyone, played everyone. Now it's kinda ruined. That sucks. Today, the ACC tourney champ carries more weight for me.

Heels play at GT, BC, Clemson, Pitt, NCST, UVA, Duke & Mia.

Duke played at FSU, Lville, ND, Cuse, Wake, VT, Mia & UNC.

And 30k fans are not showing up for Heels on a Wed nite in Syracuse.

Agreed 100%. It was a true championship when the ACC was a home and home schedule. This is 2 years in a row UNC has benefitted from a weaker road schedule. I certainly don't look at it the same and I've been watching ACC hoops for 40+ years. And I feel the same way even if Duke finishes ahead of the field

Not true Heels went to Cuse/ND/Louisville/FSU and UVA last year.

This is the kind of "moving the bar" stuff they do at THR. Lets not fall into the trap of saying well it doesn't matter now that it looks like we probably won't win it. We had a more difficult road this year - but the nearly unanimous preseason #1 team in the country should win the league. There are a lot of ifs we could explain it away with. I'm just saying we shouldn't do that. We (probably) won't win the league regular season. OK, let's win the 2 postseason tournaments.

Whatevs. It's not worth complaining about. Whoever wins the ACC will have deserved it. Lets be honest with ourselves here, the ONLY thing that matters is winning a national title. If you disagree, go be a Jayhawk.
Not to me.. Sure the national title trumps all but I want to win regular season and ACC tourney too. And I thought we were well prepared to meet those goals this year.

IMO its it's not worth complaining about the schedule. Think everyone can agree that it's not completely fair but it's certainly worth some respect if you win it given the strength of the ACC from top to bottom. While it appears UNC has locked up the regular season, there are still games to be played and a very important one at the end.

Playing at home is a huge leg up though and somehow the tarheels have played their last few big games at home. While they have looked like the best team in the ACC at home, they have looked vulnerable (just as everyone has in the ACC) on the road. Hey they could end the season with three losses - I actually think PITT may be tougher for them than UVA. Then Duke goes to UNC and hopefully we see a rejuvenated/healthy team take the regular season from them.

Reactions: dukephysics
Lot of sour grapes. It does matter, it is important and we wanted to win it and didn't get it done, period. We shouldn't have lost to state at home and shouldn't have ever lost last night. If we didn't we would continue to talk about how we were in the drivers seat and despite all of the obstacles this year in position to win it.

Did they have an easier path? Obviously, but they took care of business and we didn't.

I really wanted the season title this year. Yeah, it doesn't carry the same weight it once did,but it still means something.

Maybe UNC got a lucky break, but as we've learned...it isn't easy to win on any night in this conference.

i want to win the reg season and acc tourney....but the reg season is diminished some...been a while since either

IMO its it's not worth complaining about the schedule. Think everyone can agree that it's not completely fair but it's certainly worth some respect if you win it given the strength of the ACC from top to bottom. While it appears UNC has locked up the regular season, there are still games to be played and a very important one at the end.

Playing at home is a huge leg up though and somehow the tarheels have played their last few big games at home. While they have looked like the best team in the ACC at home, they have looked vulnerable (just as everyone has in the ACC) on the road. Hey they could end the season with three losses - I actually think PITT may be tougher for them than UVA. Then Duke goes to UNC and hopefully we see a rejuvenated/healthy team take the regular season from them.

Exactly. Its hardly over yet. I feel good about where unc stands but they still go to pitt which is never easy and to UVA then you guys to finish things up. Unc probably has the hardest closing schedule of anyone in the league.

I'd say our's is a tad tougher.. According to Kenpom..

@ Miami - 28
FSU - 19
@UNCheat - 4

compared to..

@Pitt - 64
@UVA - 9
Duke - 13

So our 2 away games are tougher but your home game is slightly tougher.

Yeah I think that Duke's schedule is tougher at this point. Before last night UNC may have had a tougher schedule given that Louisville > Syracuse. But again playing at home is a huge advantage that IMO puts Duke's schedule above that of UNC's in terms of difficulty (Duke before last night had three away and one home; UNC before last night had two away and two home).

If UNC wins out then it doesn't matter and everything else is moot.

Exactly. Its hardly over yet. I feel good about where unc stands but they still go to pitt which is never easy and to UVA then you guys to finish things up. Unc probably has the hardest closing schedule of anyone in the league.
It might have been hard but Pitt is garbage and UVA has completely regressed and turned to shit.

It might have been hard but Pitt is garbage and UVA has completely regressed and turned to shit.
I think Pitt is much better than their record indicates and has played well as of late at home. I agree with you on UVA though and while I respect the hell out of Tony, attempting to hold UNC to minimal points is a tough feat. You have to be able to score some and that team they have just can't seem to do it.

I want some of what you're smoking dude

Heels faced three ranked road foes in ACC play & lost all three. If they had played 6 like Duke, they would certainly have more losses.

Heels faced three ranked road foes in ACC play & lost all three. If they had played 6 like Duke, they would certainly have more losses.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but it is sour grapes. You play the hand your dealt. We didn't get the job done and we should easily have three less losses. Probably four (VT without Grayson). We screwed ourselves.

The ironic part is, they complain that Duke always gets the easy road in the tourney.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but it is sour grapes. You play the hand your dealt. We didn't get the job done and we should easily have three less losses. Probably four (VT without Grayson). We screwed ourselves.

The ironic part is, they complain that Duke always gets the easy road in the tourney.

Of course we hosed ourselves but don't want to hear UNC is lockdown #1 seed when they haven't faced a difficult road sked.

Of course we hosed ourselves but don't want to hear UNC is lockdown #1 seed when they haven't faced a difficult road sked.
There definitely not a lock that's for sure.

Ucla, Kansas, Gonzaga, to me are the teams that are locks to be a 1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT