ADVERTISEMENT

A Tradition Unlike Any Other - The Preseason Foot Injury

jeffrey236

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 30, 2004
Simsbury CT
So we have an early nominee for the “Freshman We Never Get to See Before He Leaves” in Patrick Ngongba, out indefinitely with a foot injury. Unreal. And just after we had all figured out what the PT was going to look like. Now we have to start over.

OFC

What concerns me is the possibility of the "nagging" foot injury that requires more than one procedure. I just hope for this young man's sake it gets resolved once and for all.

Never a good sign when it's a reoccurring foot injury. Hope he's able to make a speedy recovery.

My two cents, though, which could be completely wrong, but I think he was going to struggle to see the court. I was projecting Maluach to play around 25 minutes at the 5, and Brown to pick up around 15. Would love to him back this season, though, as big men get into foul trouble easily.

Wishing the best for this young man, and a speedy and full recovery.

But seriously, wth is going on? How does this seem to happen every season to Duke players? Maybe I just don't follow other programs closely enough, but it sure does seem we are plagued with these injuries. :(

I mean ... shades maybe.

Pat didn't have two catastrophic injuries in a 3-year span; just seems like some nagging things.
Think people are just wildly overreacting to this. It was always a very distinct possibility that he would do a medical redshirt this season. It’s probably in the best interests of both parties. Get it cleaned up, if things go quicker than anticipated get some great practice in and be ready to roll for next season.

I’m not saying it was “always” or “is” the plan, but this is common sense here. Dude sat out the majority of last year with issues that needed to be cleaned up. Played a bit, still some lingering issues. Not at all a HG3 situation. HG3 man that was just super super unfortunate. Dude was a world class talent and athlete, all derailed by injury. Love Pat, but he’s not in the same world as HG3. To be fair that might benefit him in the long run as he doesn’t have to jump to the league right away and can take his time. Harry had no choice.

Everyone needs to relax here. We’ve got depth, Pat wasn’t expected to play big minutes if much at all even before this news.

Story on Patrick Ngongba II from today.

Important to note: Nothing happened to him *since* he's come to Duke. They've known the apparent risk with him since before he committed and want him to get to 100%.
Hey folks, one of the things that drew me to Duke many moons ago, was the fact that they put the Student/Athlete first. He will be taken care of by the best in the business, and hopefully we get to see him play for the Devils some day. Let's wish him the best of luck, and go to work with what we have. I am so ready and looking forward to seeing this great group of kids play. Just keep in mind that "IT'S GONNA BE OK!".

JC-OFC

Think people are just wildly overreacting to this. It was always a very distinct possibility that he would do a medical redshirt this season. It’s probably in the best interests of both parties. Get it cleaned up, if things go quicker than anticipated get some great practice in and be ready to roll for next season.

I’m not saying it was “always” or “is” the plan, but this is common sense here. Dude sat out the majority of last year with issues that needed to be cleaned up. Played a bit, still some lingering issues. Not at all a HG3 situation. HG3 man that was just super super unfortunate. Dude was a world class talent and athlete, all derailed by injury. Love Pat, but he’s not in the same world as HG3. To be fair that might benefit him in the long run as he doesn’t have to jump to the league right away and can take his time. Harry had no choice.

Everyone needs to relax here. We’ve got depth, Pat wasn’t expected to play big minutes if much at all even before this news.
Between Ngongba's season last year and the passing view of him in a boot during practice a couple of days ago, I really didn't think today's "news" would be all that shocking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT