ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Jon did what he needed to do and brought in 3 tough, experienced, team first players. It is clear that that is what is needed deep in the tournament. The freshman will either buy in to the team concept or not. I do think a lot of 5 stars have a certain level of entitlement and wanting to be the man. Hopefully this class buys in; if they do we can win a title/make a FF and (almost) everyone will be happy. Seems like with the portal a lot of teams are over recruiting. You can't please everyone.

Last edited:
We essentially swapped Roach, Stewart, & Power for James, Gillis, & Brown.
Pros: We gained more experience, Gillis has been in as many wars as Roach has. James should be a MUCH better perimeter defender than Roach. Gillis can shoot like Power but Gillis can also defend & rebound. Brown is basically a more mature Stewart.

Cons: Roach was our go to guy in the clutch, will it be Flagg this year, Foster or Proctor? Stewart had maybe the highest ceiling of anyone, but man he was still so raw defensively.

I think we upgraded and now have more experience to surround Flagg with. I know we lost other pieces like Schutt and Reeves, but I don’t think they would have played this year. Blakes I will miss.

I never mentioned starting a transfer. I said playing meaningful minutes. You don’t have to start to get significant playing time. It just seems like you think Jon doesn’t have a plan with his freshmen. You play the best 8 the most minutes and if players are unhappy then they have a decision to make. I don’t think you ever have a team that has every player content with their playing time or lack of. Many people were saying Jon needs physically mature players and now you’re saying he has to keep three freshmen happy or they might transfer. He’s damn if he does and damn if he doesn’t.
That’s not what I said at all . I said if you start sion over a returning Duke sophomore and three other freshman then you’re clearly recruiting over players . And my post was in response to Chris when he said an article listed Sion as a starter and Brown as a sixth man . My response to it was Brown was the one needed recruit to keep Flagg at the SF spot and help man the post with Mal and add experience beside him .
If you read all my earlier post I clearly say that Jon must have already had a talk with every player and they have bought in due to no one asking out of their LOI after the Sion commitment .

Reactions: christophero
That’s not what I said at all . I said if you start sion over a returning Duke sophomore and three other freshman then you’re clearly recruiting over players . And my post was in response to Chris when he said an article listed Sion as a starter and Brown as a sixth man . My response to it was Brown was the one needed recruit to keep Flagg at the SF spot and help man the post with Mal and add experience beside him .
If you read all my earlier post I clearly say that Jon must have already had a talk with every player and they have bought in due to no one asking out of their LOI after the Sion commitment .
This recruiting over players is BS. I must just be old school. If you’re better than the other player you play more, if you’re not then you get better or transfer. Is Jon not supposed to get the best players that give him the best chance to win. What I read from you is that you think Jon might mess up and start Sion over a freshman or Foster. Who gives a sh!t, just win.

I ran D1 track and they brought in some guys who were better than me my second year. Its what D1 teams do. You are either good enough or you are not. My coach wasn't hoping I developed. It was up to me. Eventually I caught up, but it took 2 years.

Last edited:
I agree whole heartedly on the “recruiting over”.

If you ain’t recruiting players of the same position year after year it will catch up to you and you will find yourself middle pack or bottom tier soon.

It’s really just common sense, get the best talent you can every year.

If you don’t, see above.

I don't know Jon; I think he's doing a good job, but he may be feeling pressure. He knows the standard at Duke. I think he's put the team in good position to succeed next year. My dad after the second Carolina loss said something was off with the team; we should take joy in playing our rivals at home but we looked tight and miserable. It is to Jon's credit that we were able to get to the elite eight. McCain's emergence certainly helped. We will never know the inside story; but if guys weren't buying in and complaining he may have just told them to shape up or ship out. I think the fact that he's brought in high integrity team guys from the portal says something.

Last edited:
Hearing from DBR we may get another transfer. Cameron Sheffield from Rice. 6-6 SF, averaged 7 and 6. Good student, likely practice player. Stat that caught my eye is he scored 10 points against Houston, so the kid could fill in if needed. Looks like a good 3 point shooter. 2 years eligibility left. Crystal ball pick for him.

I like your analysis of last year's team and performance Chris. It is crazy to think that in his first year Jon led Duke to an ACC tourney win and a tough loss in the round of 32, and in his second year led us to the E8, yet still, there is a sense that we should have gotten more. 98% of D1 teams in the country would kill for those two seasons. But we are Duke, and the expectations are higher.

If Jon is able to develop team chemistry, sky's the limit for the upcoming season!!

The quandrary for JS is what he has promised to each player...we have no idea...however, using conjecture...I would think each one of the HS high profile recruits has been told they will get minutes...and NIL opps...to get their commitment...for the transfers the carrot of a lot of court time had to be part of the package ..again conjecture...BUT to Shey's point...if what was promised to get the player does not transpire...the blame will not fall on the player ( it never does from the player's POV) but squarely on JS and his promises....again...only conjecture, but it has a high probability of it playing out this way lookiing at the roster....too many players who want time..not enough to go round. It will be interesting to see how it plays out...

Reactions: sheyduke
I'm sure conversation about minutes occur, but I would hope it would come with the caveat of you will get the opportunity to earn that time. We talk about playing time, but we don't see what is happening in practice. A coach can only stand on a win/lose record so I'm not going to sacrifice a coaching career on an 18 year old that I don't have 100% confidence in.

Duke loves their 6’5” wings and guards. I assume he is seen like a Blake’s at least as a junior (practice and emergency depth) and maybe play more his senior year.

Last edited:
This recruiting over players is BS. I must just be old school. If you’re better than the other player you play more, if you’re not then you get better or transfer. Is Jon not supposed to get the best players that give him the best chance to win. What I read from you is that you think Jon might mess up and start Sion over a freshman or Foster. Who gives a sh!t, just win.
Ok then I don’t want to hear anything else about mass exodus every year and hearing people say X player should have gotten more time or we really could have used Y player on this years team . Because every player leaving is because two things . Playing time and NIL.
Just like if Stewart plays well at Ohio State or Powers becomes Virginia’s leading scorer there will be plenty posters on here asking why Jon didn’t play them .
And yes do I think it might be a mistake having Sion start . Sure do because where is your bench scoring going to come from once again ? The last two seasons under Jon it has not been the starters it’s been the lack of development of the bench and that’s players six -eight .

6 freshman. 6 non freshman
I like it. They can scrimmage each other.
Cameron drew 27 charges. I like this guy already. 6 rebounds per game and decent 3 point stroke. Jon has leveled up in his transfer powers. He seems to be targeting specific types of players who can role play. Cameron may not crack the rotation but started a bunch of games at Tulane.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neue Regel
Ok then I don’t want to hear anything else about mass exodus every year and hearing people say X player should have gotten more time or we really could have used Y player on this years team . Because every player leaving is because two things . Playing time and NIL.
Just like if Stewart plays well at Ohio State or Powers becomes Virginia’s leading scorer there will be plenty posters on here asking why Jon didn’t play them .
And yes do I think it might be a mistake having Sion start . Sure do because where is your bench scoring going to come from once again ? The last two seasons under Jon it has not been the starters it’s been the lack of development of the bench and that’s players six -eight .
Sion does not need to start.

6 freshman. 6 non freshman
I like it. They can scrimmage each other.
Cameron drew 27 charges. I like this guy already. 6 rebounds per game and decent 3 point stroke. Jon has leveled up in his transfer powers. He seems to be targeting specific types of players who can role play. Cameron may not crack the rotation but started a bunch of games at Tulane.
Rice

Funny thing is Cameron & Sion HS teams played against each other in the state championship game. Cameron had 31 and his team won in OT. Both look like great additions. They both should know each other which should help also with the transition to Duke. In the video Cameron built and style reminded me of the way Jabari Parker played. Not saying he is that level though just saying the way he played in the championship game. Parker was a stud at the college level and had a decent pro career. Injuries did him in.

Maybe he got it over with. Whether he plays or not he seems legit. Be nice to see him in the rotation next year, having seniors is always a good thing. Him and Brown would be seniors.

Maybe he got it over with. Whether he plays or not he seems legit. Be nice to see him in the rotation next year, having seniors is always a good thing. Him and Brown would be seniors.
Think he’s just a practice player. Doesn’t he have two years left ? Maybe in the rotation in 2025.

You’ve never heard me complain about mass exodus. I just get tired of people saying you have to play players so many minutes or they might transfer. If you don’t want to be at Duke and compete for playing time, then don’t let the door hit you on the way out. All the talk about promising pt is messed up.

Reactions: timo0402
Funny thing is Cameron & Sion HS teams played against each other in the state championship game. Cameron had 31 and his team won in OT. Both look like great additions. They both should know each other which should help also with the transition to Duke. In the video Cameron built and style reminded me of the way Jabari Parker played. Not saying he is that level though just saying the way he played in the championship game. Parker was a stud at the college level and had a decent pro career. Injuries did him in.
I’m holding you to he’s Jabari Parker 2.0

• Haha
Reactions: dukecorey
I hope he plays better D than Jabari!

You’ve never heard me complain about mass exodus. I just get tired of people saying you have to play players so many minutes or they might transfer. If you don’t want to be at Duke and compete for playing time, then don’t let the door hit you on the way out. All the talk about promising pt is messed up.
Different age of Duke basketball. I do get your points Duke91 but the sad point is this isn’t the same sport we loved . Either play the players or they bolt . It’s like I said . NCAA basketball is the new gleague

It is weird. Proctor is the only player I know well. I don't even feel like I know Foster well after half a season.

It is weird. Proctor is the only player I know well. I don't even feel like I know Foster well after half a season.
Foster had to figure out if he’s a pg or combo guard . He played pg most his basketball career but I think it was his last year of high school he was asked to be more of a scoring guard and carried a lot of the offense .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT