ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Elko coaching rumors

ConorONeill

Cameron Crazy
Staff
Aug 13, 2021
Just a heads up, don't mean to cause any alarm ...

But prepare accordingly when it comes to Mike Elko's name coming up on every opening for a coach in the major conferences.

Michigan State just suspended Mel Tucker and is on the way toward firing him. As I'm typing this, I guarantee somebody with a platform (not per se media, but wouldn't be surprised if it was an actual outlet) is already formulating a list of candidates that includes Elko. Duke's immediate success under him -- 11-4 in his tenure, best start for a Duke coach ever, Labor Night win over Clemson with the whole football world watching -- means he's going to be front and center in everybody's mind.

I honestly don't know if Elko will leave Duke for Michigan State. I don't think he would; and I'd like to think I've gotten to know him pretty well. But firing Tucker for cause -- seems like a formality -- is going to allow Michigan State to get out from under the weight of his massive contract. By giving him that deal two years ago, they've shown they're willing to grossly overpay -- and my approach to such things has become "everybody has a price."

If Michigan State -- or anybody else in the next 3-4 months -- comes along and wants to give Elko something like $7-10 million per year, he'd at least have a decision to make. Elko likes Duke and from all accounts behind the scenes, likes the area and the program, along with the trajectory of the program.

It's best to prepare yourselves now for his name to land on everybody's list for openings like this one (when it comes up) so that you're not surprised later.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News