ADVERTISEMENT

Duke baseball -- 2024 season

Duke's ACC tournament games will be:

Tuesday - vs. Virginia Tech - 7 p.m.
Thursday - vs. N.C. State - 7 p.m.

Blue Devils have to win both games to advance, as is the case for non-top-4 seeds. I'd hazard a guess that Ryan Higgins will start Tuesday's game and Kyle Johnson will start Thursday. And then if Duke makes it to Saturday, a possible Jonathan Santucci return for a semifinal. But as we know, Duke's pitching situation is unique.

Reactions: ioliva
Looking at the national rankings of ACC baseball teams, it looks like the basketball rankings used to be.

ACC Baseball tourney opens today in Charlotte. Live coverage of entire tournament on ACC NETWORK. Duke vs Va Tech in pool play tonite. First pitch at 7pm.

OFC

I maintain the thought that trying to stretch Oschell and Tallon into starters in the preseason backfired and is why they've had subpar seasons.

Might apply more to Oschell than Tallon, since Tallon's troubles really started last year in the series at Miami.
Oschell threw like 12 pitches before he put Duke in a massive hole. I know baseballs different but it seems a little crazy to think that a dude burns out in the pre season and can’t pitch at all. Sounds like oschell isn’t mlb material certainly not first round worthy as he was predicted

Good to see Duke pull the win out. Connor, if Duke can win the acc t can we still host?

Also I missed the game but saw some highlights… vt scored 5 runs on 1 hit?

Reactions: hart2chesson
Oschell threw like 12 pitches before he put Duke in a massive hole. I know baseballs different but it seems a little crazy to think that a dude burns out in the pre season and can’t pitch at all. Sounds like oschell isn’t mlb material certainly not first round worthy as he was predicted
Frankly ioliva, he pitched really poorly. Totally agree with your assessment. Fortunately we clawed back and won the all important opener in pool play!!

OFC

Up to 19th RPI through yesterday's games.

Went into the weekend thinking Duke would need to get to Sunday to have a good shot at hosting ... now, with Miami being there on Saturday and a real chance at none of the top 4 seeds reaching the weekend, probably need to win the whole thing.

As it alludes to in the story; getting to the weekend with two starters left in the tank and a well-rested bullpen puts Duke in the driver's seat.

Up to 19th RPI through yesterday's games.

Went into the weekend thinking Duke would need to get to Sunday to have a good shot at hosting ... now, with Miami being there on Saturday and a real chance at none of the top 4 seeds reaching the weekend, probably need to win the whole thing.

As it alludes to in the story; getting to the weekend with two starters left in the tank and a well-rested bullpen puts Duke in the driver's seat.
Thank you Conor. Fingers crossed!!!

OFC

We’re playing well! Hey Conor question, why does baseball have such a weird conference tournament format? You lose 1 in pool play you’re basically out… felt like Duke having the first game gives an advantage over nc state playing twice in a row. What was the point of Clemson vs Louisville ? lol not a serious question just wanted to point out how odd it was

Ha -- I've got thoughts on the format.

It is weird, I'll give you that. But there's no "good" format for a conference tournament to be played in a week with a league of 14 -- soon to be 16 -- teams.

What I love is the same that most ACC coaches love about this format: You're guaranteed to play two games and no more than four. The baseball season is such a grind and while every coach will tell you they want to win the league tournament, it's more important for more than half of the teams in Charlotte this week to set their pitching up for next week. When you get into the double elimination stuff, you run the risk of really running your pitchers thin ... and then if you're in a championship game on Sunday, you've got the opener of a regional five days later.

I've got some hairbrained ideas on how to make this tournament "better" but they mostly involve telling teams like UNC and Clemson, that have top-8 seeds locked up, to stay home.

Ha -- I've got thoughts on the format.

It is weird, I'll give you that. But there's no "good" format for a conference tournament to be played in a week with a league of 14 -- soon to be 16 -- teams.

What I love is the same that most ACC coaches love about this format: You're guaranteed to play two games and no more than four. The baseball season is such a grind and while every coach will tell you they want to win the league tournament, it's more important for more than half of the teams in Charlotte this week to set their pitching up for next week. When you get into the double elimination stuff, you run the risk of really running your pitchers thin ... and then if you're in a championship game on Sunday, you've got the opener of a regional five days later.

I've got some hairbrained ideas on how to make this tournament "better" but they mostly involve telling teams like UNC and Clemson, that have top-8 seeds locked up, to stay home.
They should honestly just make it single elimination. Lose and go home but yeah totally agree and appreciate your thoughts. Yeesh the 5 days seems really rough, might be better to just lose to rest those pitchers!

Crazy win for the deacs last night. I’m hoping if we get past the canes that burns doesn’t pitch if wake wins

Crazy win for the deacs last night. I’m hoping if we get past the canes that burns doesn’t pitch if wake wins
Ha, there's more of a chance they call me out of the press box for an inning or two than Burns coming back on one day of rest. Wake plays everything extremely safe with pitchers' arms.
As good as Burns was this bull pen is awful
Wake's bullpen has a lot of hit-or-miss, puntentional. Some young, live arms -- but also some young, live arms that don't always find the strike zone.

That’s another blue devil winner!

Was really nervous, our bats were cold for a good while!

Reactions: hart2chesson
That’s another blue devil winner!

Was really nervous, our bats were cold for a good while!
Right io, pitchers duel much of the game.... Win today and I think we play at home next week. Tall order today, I know.

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT