ADVERTISEMENT

Zion's Ranking...

Fightfan1

Recruit
Jan 22, 2019
He was obviously a blue chip recruit and everyone wanted him, but most analysts and recruiting gurus felt he was just an athlete and had to figure the rest out. Even a lot of Duke fans, though ecstatic he picked Duke, were kind of wondering where he would fit in. As highly touted as he was, he was never really seen as the next big thing.

How did everyone miss on his overall skill level? How active was he in AAU ball? Did he look bad in the McDonald's practices?

As amazing as his talent is, it's surpassed by his effort and will. Do you think his intangibles were undervalued? I can't help but laugh at UK fans calling him "fat Hami"...

Reactions: HonkeyT and skysdad
Welcome to the board. Have fun but tell us something about yourself. OFC

He was obviously a blue chip recruit and everyone wanted him, but most analysts and recruiting gurus felt he was just an athlete and had to figure the rest out. Even a lot of Duke fans, though ecstatic he picked Duke, were kind of wondering where he would fit in. As highly touted as he was, he was never really seen as the next big thing.

How did everyone miss on his overall skill level? How active was he in AAU ball? Did he look bad in the McDonald's practices?

As amazing as his talent is, it's surpassed by his effort and will. Do you think his intangibles were undervalued? I can't help but laugh at UK fans calling him "fat Hami"...

Zion is a product of being overshadowed by himself. His skill was apparent to anyone who watched him.

Reactions: bfort2223
Zion has always been good, he has improved his game while being in Durham. A lot of the non believers said he could not shoot and his defense would be suspect. He’s shutting up a lot of his doubters now.

On his highlight films, I saw a guy that was quicker and more agile than guys 100 lbs lighter than him. That had me believing the Truth!

Reactions: LTDukeFan
Welcome to the board. Have fun but tell us something about yourself. OFC

Been a Duke fan since I was a kid. I'm from Chicago so I always liked Coach K. When everyone else had Jordan posters I had Grant Hill posters... and his Fila's.

My favorite players are Demarcus Nelson, Nolan Smith, Quinn Cool and JJ.

I've been a loooong time lurker... for whatever reason I felt the urge to register and post.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
Been a Duke fan since I was a kid. I'm from Chicago so I always liked Coach K. When everyone else had Jordan posters I had Grant Hill posters... and his Fila's.

I've been a loooong time lurker... for whatever reason I felt the urge to register and post.

Good God don’t ball in those Fila’s! Unless you just hate your ankles haha. Welcome to the board!

There was one analyst who consistently said that Zion was the best player in the class: Jerry Meyer. I think he lost his vote when another analyst came in at 247sports, which is why they didn't rank Zion #1.

The level of competition that Zion faced in high school was comical. I think a lot of folks thought that he'd be exposed at a higher level of competition. Jerry's point was that whenever Zion played against the high school elite (USA practices, etc.), he dominated them too.

Zion's skill level, body control, touch, finishing, and defense are all elite or close to elite. No one expected that.

Then he caps it all off with being a great teammate and from what I can tell, great person.

His will be the first Duke jersey I buy. And wherever he ends up in the pros, I'll be getting that jersey too.

There was one analyst who consistently said that Zion was the best player in the class: Jerry Meyer.

The level of competition that Zion faced in high school was comical. I think a lot of folks thought that he'd be exposed at a higher level of competition. Jerry's point was that whenever Zion played against the high school elite (USA practices, etc.), he dominated them too.

Zion's skill level, body control, touch, finishing, and defense are all elite or close to elite. No one expected that.

The beauty of playing that weak competition was that he was able to hone a specific craft without much interference. And with his size and strength, the resistance still couldn’t meet in the middle with him. The NBA may be a little different for him, but he’ll adjust quickly there too.

His effort and tenacity are just off the charts. My favorite play of his... they were playing some garbage team, I think it was an exhibition game, but they were literally up like 50 points. The point guard is just being lazy with the ball and loses it.. Zion sprints about 10 yards, dives under his legs, and passes ahead.

When your best player plays with that effort, it sets the bar that much higher. Now everyone has to play that way. Every year these freshman get more and more freakish. I didn't think we could see someone as productive as Marvin Bagley at that age. Just a few months later, we get two. It's insane.

It’s not easy ranking high school kids playing against other high school kids and how that will translate to college. Same with college to pros. Zion’s physical gifts were never unnoticed but I’m sure some wondered if he looked that good because of who he was doing it against. Obviously, the competition wasn’t the reason. He’s that damn good.

"The kid's like one of the best kids in the whole world," Krzyzewski said after beating Notre Dame. "No way (his head is going to get too big). I mean, he is so good, is such a great kid."

He dislocated his thumb early in the McDonalds game. Some rankings guys docked him a few spots in favor of guys like Nasir Little because Zion didn’t do much in a meaningless All-Star game with zero defense.

Congrats to Nas on that McDonald’s Game MVP, his last one ever.

Reactions: dukehokie
He dislocated his thumb early in the McDonalds game. Some rankings guys docked him a few spots in favor of guys like Nasir Little because Zion didn’t do much in a meaningless All-Star game with zero defense.

Congrats to Nas on that McDonald’s Game MVP, his last one ever.
I never really understood why they drop a player in their rankings because of an injury, I mean I understand dropping a player in their rankings if a player suffers a season ending injury but if a player suffers an injury that isn’t going to keep them out long term or the rest of the season then I don’t think they should be dropped in the rankings because if they hadn’t been injured then they most likely would’ve performed at a level to keep their ranking but that’s just me.

Guilty. I was burned from hype of previous talent. Judged him and the others without keeping my mind open.

Never been so happy to have been so wrong.
Well, what do you know! We have something in common!

I was wary of the hype, and his highlight reels were primarily dunks against lesser competition. I liked his handle, how he ran the floor, his body control, his motor... but I didn't know how well his size and strength would translate to the college game. I'm now convinced he could be an NBA HoFer.

It's not like I thought he'd be a bust; I just had no idea he would be such a complete player. And that's without a great outside stroke and being so fat.

After landing RJ (and having already landed Cam and Tre), I viewed Zion as a luxury item, and really just wanted him to pick Duke to keep him away from UK or UNC. I thought his skill set would be a bit redundant. I’ll gladly hop aboard the “I was wrong” train with the others.

After the game against Clemson in January, Coach Brownell said, “Yeah, I thought he would be that good”.

I think more than a few were aware.

After the game against Clemson in January, Coach Brownell said, “Yeah, I thought he would be that good”.

I think more than a few were aware.

Brownell’s career arc might have changed had Zion gone to Clemson. He’s a good coach now. He’d be in a different tier with Zion in tow. K is just padding his legacy. How selfish of him.

Reactions: dukesince91
If it weren't for so many unc cheater u tar heels in the NBA to 50 players of all time and so many more of projected to be Zion could be considered in that group. :) OFC

Quinn Cool......I like that!

Reactions: dukiejay
I wanted Zion to pick Duke REALLY bad, but I talked myself into believing he just wasn't coming here. I lost my MIND when he announced! My wife told me I'm crazy!!
But, like others have said, I did not know how complete his game was going to be. His ability to move though traffic with the ball still amazes me

Several years ago when kendall marshall was still at unc cheater u and I had not been permantley banned from thr some one over there posted that before his career was over marshall would become one of the top 50 NBA players of all time. Me being my sarcastic self started picking out unc cheater u players through the years since and posting that the before his career is over he will become one of the top 50 NBA players of all time. Some of the guys who have been posting here are while gets the joke. I guess I need to make myself clearer or easier to comprehend or just stop being sarcastic. I am what I am Ipsy cause I am what I am. ;) OFC

Several years ago when kendall marshall was still at unc cheater u and I had not been permantley banned from thr some one over there posted that before his career was over marshall would become one of the top 50 NBA players of all time. Me being my sarcastic self started picking out unc cheater u players through the years since and posting that the before his career is over he will become one of the top 50 NBA players of all time. Some of the guys who have been posting here are while gets the joke. I guess I need to make myself clearer or easier to comprehend or just stop being sarcastic. I am what I am Ipsy cause I am what I am. ;) OFC
I concur :)

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT