ADVERTISEMENT

Zion will just smile, and work EVEN HARDER if thats possible!

I can imagine the obnoxious way Cowherd said it, but is that really so different from saying Zion will have a learning curve and that defense will be the area it's most observable?

I can imagine the obnoxious way Cowherd said it, but is that really so different from saying Zion will have a learning curve and that defense will be the area it's most observable?

I think it would be if the connotation wasn’t that Zion won’t be able to play recover defense and will not succeed in moving laterally against NBA athletes. Cowherd knows what he’s doing.

We’re in the midst of Zion hot take season. One a day guys. One a day.

Saying that he’s going to be an awful defender is hater talk. There’s no substance of his play that would suggest that at all.

IMO he will have some nice highlight defensive plays. That’s a given with his supreme athleticism. But he won’t be a good overall defender, he’ll be subpar. He’ll eventually be a good one but there’s adjustments to be made so he’s going to naturally smack into the learning curve. He’s very aggressive defending the rim and he over-commits to blocking shots. NBA players are super finesse when attacking the basket, these guys adjust incredibly while in the air. That’s going to lead to fouls and/or whiffed swats.

Aside from that, his high motor makes him gas out quicker than what’s ideal at the NBA level. He was able to play a lot of minutes at Duke because once his stamina started dropping he would pick-and-choose what to spend energy on. One of the things he chose against was transition defense. NBA is even faster than college and that’s going to cost his team.

That’s my opinion of how he will start off in the NBA defensively, I think he will absolutely adjust accordingly and quickly. Regardless, he will be far from awful.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Saying that he’s going to be an awful defender is hater talk. There’s no substance of his play that would suggest that at all.

IMO he will have some nice highlight defensive plays. That’s a given with his supreme athleticism. But he won’t be a good overall defender, he’ll be subpar. He’ll eventually be a good one but there’s adjustments to be made so he’s going to naturally smack into the learning curve. He’s very aggressive defending the rim and he over-commits to blocking shots. NBA players are super finesse when attacking the basket, these guys adjust incredibly while in the air. That’s going to lead to fouls and/or whiffed swats.

Aside from that, his high motor makes him gas out quicker than what’s ideal at the NBA level. He was able to play a lot of minutes at Duke because once his stamina started dropping he would pick-and-choose what to spend energy on. One of the things he chose against was transition defense. NBA is even faster than college and that’s going to cost his team.

That’s my opinion of how he will start off in the NBA defensively, I think he will absolutely adjust accordingly and quickly. Regardless, he will be far from awful.

BP agree about the "hater talk" my friend, and of course we're use to such talk....

OFC

Reactions: BeerPoisoning

Fair enough. I don’t think he’ll be All-NBA Defense in one season either. Battier, one of the smartest defenders in my generation’s basketball history IMO, struggled to pick things up early. If he had trouble, there will absolutely be nights where Zion looks lost.

He’s an intelligent player, willing to learn, and supremely athletic. All of those tools SHOULD lead to him becoming a high caliber defender eventually.

It was funny... Cause yea it (seems) like nobody plays D at times.

Ipster obviously I am an OFC and I see much more of a premium placed on D in the playoffs. I had the benefit of watching back in the 60s, with the great Red Auerbach coached CELTICS teams. Those guys NEVER took a nite off on D. The Jones boys (especially K.C.), "Hondo" Havlicek who we sadly lost recently, and of course the legendary center and best big man to play the game for my money, Bill Russell. Bill didnt just swat shots out of bounds as a defender, he tapped them to teammates to start fast breaks!

I would contend the emphasis on D continued with other teams later on in the 70s. Bill Walton's role inside helped lead Portland to a NBA Title in the 70s, Bobby Jones (despite playing on multiple epilepsy meds in 70s and 80s w/the 76ers) was a defensive ace and multiple award winner of the Defensive honor.I thought Robert Parrish of the Celts was a good rim protector and rugged defender, even Laimbeer w/Pistons.

In addition the thing I liked was the SHEER TOUGHNESS of the old days, when the guys wouldn't take nites off for "Rest." Its still a great product now, but I see it more as a halfcourt game, at least until the playoffs. I think its basically a matter of perception, and the era you grew up in watching the pros play....

Now all that being said I think IN TIME like Hokie said I think Zion will develop into a good defender. He will get after it because he has an incredible motor and wont take plays off. Kid just loves the game and brings a Magic Johnson type enthusiasm to the League which will only boost the entire pro brand. Rant over, OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
I'm convinced the NBA pays too many games with too much travel in between for players to play hard at both ends every night. If they reduced the season to 70 games, with more off days, the level of play would improve, but that will never happen.

My impression is if your defense is at least solid, you won't be picked on. Only if you stand out like JJ did early in his career will you be picked on. Zion will be more than solid and at times outstanding.

I'm convinced the NBA pays too many games with too much travel in between for players to play hard at both ends every night. If they reduced the season to 70 games, with more off days, the level of play would improve, but that will never happen.

My impression is if your defense is at least solid, you won't be picked on. Only if you stand out like JJ did early in his career will you be picked on. Zion will be more than solid and at times outstanding.

Now JJ has really picked up his game on D. Young man keeps himself in tip-top shape! Liftee I appreciate what you are saying about "the travel, length of season" but its pretty much always been like that.

Now to your point, the expansion in the last what, several decades has conceivably made travel more extensive. By the same token, the players have become bigger than the coaches in some ways, and thats a contributing factor I would contend to some sense of entitlement. OFC

The rules have changed also, which changes the way you can play defense. The players have also changed skill wise to a certain degree.

Ipster obviously I am an OFC and I see much more of a premium placed on D in the playoffs. I had the benefit of watching back in the 60s, with the great Red Auerbach coached CELTICS teams. Those guys NEVER took a nite off on D. The Jones boys (especially K.C.), "Hondo" Havlicek who we sadly lost recently, and of course the legendary center and best big man to play the game for my money, Bill Russell. Bill didnt just swat shots out of bounds as a defender, he tapped them to teammates to start fast breaks!

I would contend the emphasis on D continued with other teams later on in the 70s. Bill Walton's role inside helped lead Portland to a NBA Title in the 70s, Bobby Jones (despite playing on multiple epilepsy meds in 70s and 80s w/the 76ers) was a defensive ace and multiple award winner of the Defensive honor.I thought Robert Parrish of the Celts was a good rim protector and rugged defender, even Laimbeer w/Pistons.

In addition the thing I liked was the SHEER TOUGHNESS of the old days, when the guys wouldn't take nites off for "Rest." Its still a great product now, but I see it more as a halfcourt game, at least until the playoffs. I think its basically a matter of perception, and the era you grew up in watching the pros play....

Now all that being said I think IN TIME like Hokie said I think Zion will develop into a good defender. He will get after it because he has an incredible motor and wont take plays off. Kid just loves the game and brings a Magic Johnson type enthusiasm to the League which will only boost the entire pro brand. Rant over, OFC
I would say thanks for the trip down memory lane buttttttt you're old:D I'm 28

H2C, you and I aren't that far apart in age and I do remember those Celtics/76ers/West led Lakers teams as being warriors.

But the scores were in the 120s while the shooting percentages were way lower than now. So there must have been a lot of fast breaks with very little defense.

My suspicion is that as the years go by, we remember the great playoff series and not necessarily the mid-season games with about 3000 people in the stands.

But the nice thing is, we can remember the past just the way we want to!

H2C, you and I aren't that far apart in age and I do remember those Celtics/76ers/West led Lakers teams as being warriors.

But the scores were in the 120s while the shooting percentages were way lower than now. So there must have been a lot of fast breaks with very little defense.

My suspicion is that as the years go by, we remember the great playoff series and not necessarily the mid-season games with about 3000 people in the stands.

Yeah but its sad I think when people merely remember things "the way they want to." I certainly was not going that route and I think I gave some good examples. I generally think CHANGE IS GOOD in sports per replay, the 3pt shot, allowing the dunk in college basketball, shot clock,etc.....

Perhaps you and I just see things a liitle differently here, but thats fine and promotes dialogue. OFC

Yeah I suppose for some people its a "nice thing," but I think its sad when people "REMEMBER THE PAST JUST THE WAY THEY WANT TO." JMO.....I EMBRACE CHANGE IN MOST THINGS, SPORTS VERY MUCH INCLUDED!

Certainly some of the skills displayed NOW in the pro game are things we have never seen.....Dr J was one of the innovators, followed by a steady stream of fantastic athletes we now see at the pro level. So definitely change is good in some cases like the 3pt shot, allowing dunks, replay, shot clock- all of which were not part of the COLLEGE game for instance at least for the better part of the 70s. Also the NBA added a defensive wrinkle by allowing the zone defense.Another good move. OFC

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT