ADVERTISEMENT

Zion gonna be our shot blocker?

In all seriousness he does play against a lot of small guys lol .

100% true he was normally up against weaker competition in H.S. , but that simply doesn't take away from the fact that the kid is a damn FREAK of nature athletically . He's going to give us some serious WOW moments during his short stay here.

I think in the AAU circut he played against some of the countries best and held his own.. In ZION I Trust.

The level of competitors is top notch in the AAU circuit. The level of Competition......Not so much. Defensive intensity is often lacking in AAu events.
I really hope Zion watches Draymond Green. Regardless of how one feels about his personality or cheap shots, Green's style and level of play is one that Zion should emulate. The NBA is gagging for small ball PFs like Green, and Zion would be an easy sell to fans and endorsers. The dunks will be there, and I expect Zion to evolve into a capable shooter, a la Green.
If Zion will really focus on D and rebounding, he'll be a top 5 pick and long term all star. If Zion sees himself as more perimeter oriented SF, his future gets murkier. He could easily turn into a Zack Levine level player. Solid, but not a star. He'll compete in the Dunk contest for 5+ years, but he won't ever be a star.
As a top notch defender and rebounder, with quality offense on top, and crowd pleasing dunks sprinkled throughout, he's the kind of guy that the top players in the league will demand that their GMs over pay as the stars pursue titles. Zion would be a failure as a lead scorer on an NBA team. He can be the number 2 scorer on a mediocre team trapped in draft lottery hades, or he can be the third scorer, who plays great D and rebounds like a fiend, on a perennial title contender. His choice.

Zion Will have the most emphatic blocks...

But Marques will be the leading shot blocker.

I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with Bolden on D and the boards. I think he might be starting to realize that his draft status is dependent on defense and rebounding. A healthy, hungry, and probably increasingly desperate Bolden has to see this year as his best opportunity. This year's class of HS bigs was incredibly weak (followed by an incredibly strong class of bigs whom Bolden doesn't compare favorably). A solid year by Bolden probably means a good year for Duke. He'd be playing like a true NBA big on a small ball team, and solid D and rebounding by Bolden will endear him to GMs drafting in the mid 20s. They'll see in him a guy that can contribute off the bench, immediately, on a playoff team. In addition, they'll see Bolden as an eventual starting C on a playoff team. If Bolden plays D and boards, he'll check off a lot of boxes in the minds of NBA decision makers.

The level of competitors is top notch in the AAU circuit. The level of Competition......Not so much. Defensive intensity is often lacking in AAu events.
I really hope Zion watches Draymond Green. Regardless of how one feels about his personality or cheap shots, Green's style and level of play is one that Zion should emulate. The NBA is gagging for small ball PFs like Green, and Zion would be an easy sell to fans and endorsers. The dunks will be there, and I expect Zion to evolve into a capable shooter, a la Green.
If Zion will really focus on D and rebounding, he'll be a top 5 pick and long term all star. If Zion sees himself as more perimeter oriented SF, his future gets murkier. He could easily turn into a Zack Levine level player. Solid, but not a star. He'll compete in the Dunk contest for 5+ years, but he won't ever be a star.
As a top notch defender and rebounder, with quality offense on top, and crowd pleasing dunks sprinkled throughout, he's the kind of guy that the top players in the league will demand that their GMs over pay as the stars pursue titles. Zion would be a failure as a lead scorer on an NBA team. He can be the number 2 scorer on a mediocre team trapped in draft lottery hades, or he can be the third scorer, who plays great D and rebounds like a fiend, on a perennial title contender. His choice.

I was talking to my homeboy the other day about just this. Everyone wants to be the superstar scorer not realizing that every team in the NBA is looking for the next Draymond. Someone that can lockdown on defense, rebound and push the ball on the break. Draymond barely shoot but he’s the most valuable person on Golden State.

I think it’s annoying and unfair to say he’ll be this or that, and not this, he needs to do this and that, he doesn’t need to do this and that, he’s gonna be this and not this, whatever etc, when he hasn’t even stepped on the court for Duke yet. Your (opinions) are based solely off of high school only, and premature, and probably YouTube Pat. Lol. Ala Duval no pun

Last edited:
It's true that we can't say what Zion will be...

Only thing we can say is he needs to buy into working hard everyday in practice, listen to the coaching staff, take care of his body, etc. Not saying he doesn't do that... It is just preparation at a whole different level.

He is going to be practicing against great players everyday in practice to get him used the speed and physicality that he will face in college... There will be setbacks and he will learn what "works" for him at this level. It is a huge jump in talent and defense he will face, but as long as he works hard uses his frame and athletic ability to his benefit, he will be fine. He should work inside out... Spend more time in the paint using that strength and athleticism and then step out and shoot or drive and attack.

I was talking to my homeboy the other day about just this. Everyone wants to be the superstar scorer not realizing that every team in the NBA is looking for the next Draymond. Someone that can lockdown on defense, rebound and push the ball on the break. Draymond barely shoot but he’s the most valuable person on Golden State.

Yup. IDK about GSW's MVP (I love Klay), but Green might be the most sought after players exclusive of the 4-5 perennial MVP candidates in the League.
He, like Zion, is a guy that can guard, at a minimum, the 2-4 positions. He can also guard some 1s and some 5s. He can switch everything, and is good for 10+ boards. And he's incredibly smart on O. He only takes good shots, is a willing passer, and doesn't gripe about his role.
Every number 1 scorer in the NBA wants a version of that on his team. If Zion will focus on D and rebounding, he'll be an elite NBA player. I think he'll evolve into a quality shooter, and he's further along as a ball handler now than was Green even as a college soph or Junior. IDK about passing. But if Zion becomes a Green or Rodman-esque defender and rebounder, while not being a D-bag, he's a long term all star (thanks to fan votes and his dunking). If he evolves into a good shooter, he's an MVP candidate on title winning teams. IDK if he'll ever get that good on O, but if he'll focus on the rebounding title and winning DMVP, he'll sign 2 max deals and make another 100 mill from Nike. And wrap it all off spending 3 decades as a talking head covering the NBA.

I think it’s annoying and unfair to say he’ll be this or that, and not this, he needs to do this and that, he doesn’t need to do this and that, he’s gonna be this and not this, whatever etc, when he hasn’t even stepped on the court for Duke yet. Your (opinions) are based solely off of high school only, and premature, and probably YouTube Pat. Lol. Ala Duval no pun

Well clearly if you know talent and could look at each players strengths you can see what their roles will possibly be. We have a true point guard, the two best wings and Zion. Tre will be the point guard no doubt. RJ will be the primary scorer. Cam will be the secondary playmaker and shooter. That leaves Zion to be an occasional shooter but moreso a rebounder and defender like Justise was. If Zion is smart he would embrace a Draymond type role because playing that role will make him an immediate starter in the NBA and a very rich man. Draymond will get a max contract next year

Yup. IDK about GSW's MVP (I love Klay), but Green might be the most sought after players exclusive of the 4-5 perennial MVP candidates in the League.
He, like Zion, is a guy that can guard, at a minimum, the 2-4 positions. He can also guard some 1s and some 5s. He can switch everything, and is good for 10+ boards. And he's incredibly smart on O. He only takes good shots, is a willing passer, and doesn't gripe about his role.
Every number 1 scorer in the NBA wants a version of that on his team. If Zion will focus on D and rebounding, he'll be an elite NBA player. I think he'll evolve into a quality shooter, and he's further along as a ball handler now than was Green even as a college soph or Junior. IDK about passing. But if Zion becomes a Green or Rodman-esque defender and rebounder, while not being a D-bag, he's a long term all star (thanks to fan votes and his dunking). If he evolves into a good shooter, he's an MVP candidate on title winning teams. IDK if he'll ever get that good on O, but if he'll focus on the rebounding title and winning DMVP, he'll sign 2 max deals and make another 100 mill from Nike. And wrap it all off spending 3 decades as a talking head covering the NBA.

I only say he’s the most valuable because of you take Draymond away they are a completely different team. His presence on both sides of the floor is so important. He’s the best defender and technically the primary ball handler (he lead in assists)

I only say he’s the most valuable because of you take Draymond away they are a completely different team. His presence on both sides of the floor is so important. He’s the best defender and technically the primary ball handler (he lead in assists)

Agreed. I've said that exact same thing. Green's presence (and Iggy's) allows Curry and Klay to really focus on the shooting, and it lets Durant to really do nothing but try to score.

Well clearly if you know talent and could look at each players strengths you can see what their roles will possibly be. We have a true point guard, the two best wings and Zion. Tre will be the point guard no doubt. RJ will be the primary scorer. Cam will be the secondary playmaker and shooter. That leaves Zion to be an occasional shooter but moreso a rebounder and defender like Justise was. If Zion is smart he would embrace a Draymond type role because playing that role will make him an immediate starter in the NBA and a very rich man. Draymond will get a max contract next year

Zion is far, far ahead of Green at the same age WRT offense. If he'll continue to develop on O, while focusing on D and the boards, he'll make 3-5 HUNDRED million dollars, all in (incl endorsements) while becoming a league wide fan favorite.
It is so obvious.

Zion is far, far ahead of Green at the same age WRT offense. If he'll continue to develop on O, while focusing on D and the boards, he'll make 3-5 HUNDRED million dollars, all in (incl endorsements) while becoming a league wide fan favorite.
It is so obvious.

Well yea he’s ahead of Draymond offensively. The offense will show but if he can really lock in on defense and become an elite defender he will set himself up for super stardom. Hell he could be Charles Barkley with defense if he wants.

It is so obvious.
Before we give any of them millions in endorsements, and proclaim their greatness, let's hit the Scooby brakes on these kids just a little.
We should have all learned a little bit of a lesson by now when it comes to their strengths and weaknesses.
Let's wait. If he's as good as you're suggesting, it will only help Duke.
We will need all four to be good. Odds are, they'll get the bulk of the minutes.

Zion is a thousand times the athlete that Green is right now and thousand times more explosive.

He is more of an supercharged Larry Johnson.

Zion is a thousand times the athlete that Green is right now and thousand times more explosive.

He is more of an supercharged Larry Johnson.
That's a pretty big statement to compare a kid who hasn't played a game in college yet to two former really good college players.
First off, Draymond Green is a solid pro player. I think his tantrums are just an act. Without him, Golden State is considered a soft team. He didn't act like this in college. Kerr welcomes it. He played with Rodman and knows it works.
A supercharged Larry Johnson? Man, if you're right, and our other freshmen are equally as good, we are definitely playing in the Final Four. LJ was a freaking stud. No disrespect to Zion, but at this point in his career, it's disrespectful to LJ. That's like saying O'Connell is better than Redick.

Comparing Zion to Draymond and Larry Johnson is interesting. For me, the comparison that seems most applicable is of Lebron, albeit, a left handed version. Zion, like Lebron, is a physical freak that can handle the ball, pass, defend and shoot. Lebron may be a better ball handler, but Zion has a better inside game.

Zion needs to show some awareness on both sides of the floor and some endurance before I start with the All Star comps. We’ll know soon enough. We can dream though. Tatum went from a top 25 college player to dunking on Lebron in the Conf Finals in one year.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with Bolden on D and the boards.

I think Bolden has loads of potential and will get to showcase it this upcoming season. However, I'm still not sold. I just don't think he's a good rebounder. I hope I'm wrong because we're a lot better if he's even average. I just don't see him averaging more than maybe five or six per game.

Reactions: skysdad
My all time favorite player is Dominique Wilkins....does Zion look like a young Wilkins, or do I just want him to bad enough that I've convinced myself?

"I think it’s annoying and unfair to say he’ll be this or that, and not this, he needs to do this and that, he doesn’t need to do this and that, he’s gonna be this and not this, whatever etc, when he hasn’t even stepped on the court for Duke yet. Your (opinions) are based solely off of high school only, and premature, and probably YouTube Pat. Lol. Ala Duval no pun"

Would it have been annoying or unfair to discuss Lebron's potential as he completed high school?
Was there any truth to speculation about how Lebron would turn out even though he TOTALLY dominated the competition at the high schoool level including, I am confident, short, white players?

As to Zion being fat, those days appear to be increasingly in the rear view mirror.

With the possible exception of Nassir Little (a UNC OAD) have you ever seen anyone actually stop Zion from going where he wants to go, when he wants to go there, to do what he wants to do?
As you can see in the video below, Little picked Zion's pocket but also was himself vicitimized when Zion decided to take it to the hole.

I love Zion's athleticism and strength. I think he has a lot to prove ad improve upon. Mainly because his HS level of competition seemed lesser and in AAU there isn't a lot of Defense played... Elite AAU players, but not great D. AAU is more all-star game type level of competitiveness and transition ball.

I was thrilled when he chose Duke, I just think he is nowhere near a finished product. If he can be assertive inside first and foremost using his physical skill and then step away some for drives next and then perimeter shots as his last option, he will be giving himself the best chance to succeed.

Reactions: PatrickYates
I've been as bad as anyone wrt Comparisons, but the reality is that Zion may be a unique player who doesn't have any comps. Rarely, very rarely, do BB players break the mold. Zion might be one though.

Reactions: Mac9192
He almost definitely will not be our best, even second best player, but I feel his contributions will be great and some of his thunderous dunks will come at times when we need to light a fire and dunks like his can do that. Best thing about him, he seems to have a great attitude, but , I like that he plays a bit angry at the rim.

He almost definitely will not be our best, even second best player, but I feel his contributions will be great and some of his thunderous dunks will come at times when we need to light a fire and dunks like his can do that. Best thing about him, he seems to have a great attitude, but , I like that he plays a bit angry at the rim.

Agreed on all points. Zion is a guy that will do something when we are on a run that might effectively end the game by completely undermining the spirit of the opponent. Things will be snowballing for the other guys, and then Zion will get loose for a Top 10 level throw-down, and that might be all she wrote.

Reactions: Showenuff
"I think it’s annoying and unfair to say he’ll be this or that, and not this, he needs to do this and that, he doesn’t need to do this and that, he’s gonna be this and not this, whatever etc, when he hasn’t even stepped on the court for Duke yet. Your (opinions) are based solely off of high school only, and premature, and probably YouTube Pat. Lol. Ala Duval no pun"

Would it have been annoying or unfair to discuss Lebron's potential as he completed high school?
Was there any truth to speculation about how Lebron would turn out even though he TOTALLY dominated the competition at the high schoool level including, I am confident, short, white players?

As to Zion being fat, those days appear to be increasingly in the rear view mirror.

With the possible exception of Nassir Little (a UNC OAD) have you ever seen anyone actually stop Zion from going where he wants to go, when he wants to go there, to do what he wants to do?
As you can see in the video below, Little picked Zion's pocket but also was himself vicitimized when Zion decided to take it to the hole.

I think this represents a MUCH MORE ACCURATE assessment of Zion's skill set against much more quality opposition. The other vid I saw primarily consisted of short white kids simply getting out of his way.

In this tape (featuring Little) he's more challenged and it was good to see Zion pass off a time or two when he found himself covered on the way to the basket. He'll need that FINESSE at the college level next year, especially against older, seasoned opposing upperclassmen.

I just dont see him attacking the basket as much on offense next year beause opposing defenders will sag off of him. If he develops a nice mid-range shot it could make a world of difference.

OFC

I'm looking forward to see him play but agree there will be growing pains alongside highlight reel dunks. These guys have to fit a whole career into one season, which makes it both exciting and frustrating to watch.

Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT