ADVERTISEMENT

Your surprises from the scrimmage

Jake1985

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2002
For me, it was the play of Jordan G. He didn't do anything spectacular but he didn't make mistakes either. I thought he did a great job of running a team and looked good on D.

Goldwire is a nice program guy to have around. I won’t be surprised at all if he becomes another player in the form of Tyler Thornton.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
I hope he can shoot better that TT did.

You're right....Tyler wasn't a great shooter. But he was incredibly efficient in the 3's he did shoot. And what I mean by that is, Tyler didn't look to shoot the ball often, or more than he should. As a junior he shot just over 39% from deep, and that improved to 45% by his senior season. I would take that from Goldwire and I think we all would.

Everyone is overlooking him simply because he's a 3 star, he played against good competition in high school versus a overrated 4 star that played against weak competition

Reactions: jcdevilfan
You're right....Tyler wasn't a great shooter. But he was incredibly efficient in the 3's he did shoot. And what I mean by that is, Tyler didn't look to shoot the ball often, or more than he should. As a junior he shot just over 39% from deep, and that improved to 45% by his senior season. I would take that from Goldwire and I think we all would.
Hope Goldwire will be able to do something Tyler never did, and that's sometimes penetrate to the basket. That's some of the criticism, if you will, on Thornton, that he never went to the basket. The point guard must have a little offensive aggression for the team to do well.

Reactions: Quavarius
I actually agree dj. When Tyler would hit a three it was usually wonderful but unexpected and for some reason I never expected him to show and sometimes he didn't.

Last edited:
Hope Goldwire will be able to do something Tyler never did, and that's sometimes penetrate to the basket. That's some of the criticism, if you will, on Thornton, that he never went to the basket. The point guard must have a little offensive aggression for the team to do well.

I hope so too. Tyler was a very old-school kind of lead guard.

Jordan G just does the little things that make him the ultimate teammate and team player. He did a good job in the scrimmage on running the team. As a back up to Duval and Tre (his Fr & Soph) he will learn and grow as a player. From all reports he is doing well defensively hounding Duval.

Reactions: jcdevilfan
Here's the thing.... If Jordan G can run the O without turnovers and play good D, K will find a few minutes for him. He is better than his recruiting rating but physically he needs to continue to develop. He has all the other tools. There is a reason Bagley's mom really pushed for him to be at Duke.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
Here's the thing.... If Jordan G can run the O without turnovers and play good D, K will find a few minutes for him. He is better than his recruiting rating but physically he needs to continue to develop. He has all the other tools. There is a reason Bagley's mom really pushed for him to be at Duke.

Agreed. If he can just spell Tre a little bit, limit turnovers and facilitate, he'll be fine.

Reactions: Mac9192
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT