ADVERTISEMENT

Your favorite rapper.

Which period Ice Cube? I liked him with west side connection awesome with NWA. Not sure about his Lynch Mob days lol but he sold some good single tapes( that’s the cassettes for you younger generations).
Anyone else have a favorite song that they knew exactly how long to hit rewind on the cassette player to start it over? It was like muscle memory.

Crossroads( the remix) the original was ok but the remix was hot. The first of the month was good too.
Listen to mainly old school rap and country with southern rock now. New rapper just don’t have that feel to it.
I remember the Summer that Crossroads song and TLCs Waterfall were played on MTV almost nonstop. Ah, to be young again.

Got my first taste of hip hop in the 80's with License To Ill and Raising Hell. It grew from there. During the late 90's and by mid 2000 it grew old. It was all the same...who could brag the most about sex, money, cars, drugs etc. That's what I liked about Wu Tang, Bone and early gangster rap. They actually told stories.

Started discovering new artist on independent labels around that time. That's what I listen to now if not old school hip hop.

Where it all began!

I'll never forget the first time I heard that song. I was at some kind of dance at high school. There wasn't almost no one at all on the dance floor, and then that song comes on. You would have thought there was a bomb threat evaluation with the crowd that immediately started screaming and running to the floor!! I guess they had already head it!!

Reactions: Quavarius
First rap CD I ever bought was Warren G Regulators. Listened to the whole thing each day after school in 6th grade. Then followed it up with The Offspring Smash while playing video games.

I’d have to say my favorite was old school OutKast. I can’t pick between Atliens or Aquemini album wise, but Rosa Parks is probably the most memorable song. The song Atliens a close second. Also liked Tupac a lot.

I switched to old school rock in latter HS years and college. A lot of Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Eagles, et al.

I lived with my cousin for a while when the Regulators album dropped. By the end of the week I could rap almost the entire album. My rap phase faded out for a long time. Fast forward 20 some years and Regulators came on the radio with my two kids in the car. I started rapping the entire song. My son and daughter looked at me like a cool hip dad and I just said “don’t ask!”

To be honest the response on this thread surprised me. Someone mentioned it's not rap anymore it's hip-hop. What's the difference and if there is none why change genre. On a side bar sometimes on Sat. morning I listen to some Bluegrass. Thought I would never like it but for some reason it has grown on me. I heard a song one morning from a Bluegrass group and it sounded so familiar. The name of the song was Hold On and I realized it was a cover of the Bee Gees from the disco era of the 70's. It was very interesting and they did a heck of a job. I love the sound of a banjo and fiddle for some reason. Any other old farts out there like Bluegrass. OFC

Reactions: sheyduke
To be honest the response on this thread surprised me. Someone mentioned it's not rap anymore it's hip-hop. What's the difference and if there is none why change genre. On a side bar sometimes on Sat. morning I listen to some Bluegrass. Thought I would never like it but for some reason it has grown on me. I heard a song one morning from a Bluegrass group and it sounded so familiar. The name of the song was Hold On and I realized it was a cover of the Bee Gees from the disco era of the 70's. It was very interesting and they did a heck of a job. I love the sound of a banjo and fiddle for some reason. Any other old farts out there like Bluegrass. OFC
I love all music sky!!! Doesn’t matter to me really.

Reactions: skysdad
My freshmen year roommate at Duke got me hooked on A Tribe Called Quest. Hard Knock Life by Jay-z came out that year too, so I've always been a bit partial to him.

Love back in the day Cube. Predator is a whip ass album, right from the get go.

Ice T had an unmatched voice and ability to spit some tight shit.

Public Enemy, NWA... both great groups.

I enjoy some Eric B and Rakim. Pete Rock. Wu Tang. Beastie Boys.

And always said that if I had to walk to a ring, if I ever needed a theme song, I’d go with “The GOAT” by LL.

The only Bluegrass music I can get into is from the movie Oh Brother Where Art Thou

Reactions: skysdad
Yes Vince Staples! Finally...outspoken and thoughtful and brilliant ambassador for the current era.

Love Kendrick Lamar, Run the Jewels, Danny Brown, Earl Sweatshirt and Schoolboy Q just to name some of the current cream of the crop.

Grew up with Nas, Mobb Deep, UGK, Biggie, Tupac, Outkast, Scarface, Wu Tang Clan, just to name a few.

I also love the preceding generation and pretty much all things hip hop forever and always.

Thanks for this thread!

Reactions: DukeDenver
Good hip hop is still out there...just not on the radio.
You mean you don’t like mumble rap? Lol. What the hell is going on with this trend? Sounds like brain dead drug users coming out of a coma over the Stranger Things theme song and a hi hat.

Off Topic thread?

Highly recommend this 1-hour documentary available on American cable - NBCsports. "Nagano Tapes"

As an immigrant in America during the 1980s this film hits the feels perfectly. Krzyzewski was my success story.

Ok I don't know a lot about rappers but in one of our threads there is a pic of Coach K and a rapper I've been informed is Two Chains. Let's have a little fun and maybe even some of us old farts can be educated or enlightened. Just post your favorite rapper and a video of your favorite rap song. My goes back a while and some of you may not be familiar with him.

Ernest T!!! Its a shame in that same episode Sky he didnt get to sing his other hit, "Eatin Goober Peas!"

OFC

Yes Vince Staples! Finally...outspoken and thoughtful and brilliant ambassador for the current era.

Love Kendrick Lamar, Run the Jewels, Danny Brown, Earl Sweatshirt and Schoolboy Q just to name some of the current cream of the crop.

Grew up with Nas, Mobb Deep, UGK, Biggie, Tupac, Outkast, Scarface, Wu Tang Clan, just to name a few.

I also love the preceding generation and pretty much all things hip hop forever and always.

Thanks for this thread!
I like your style. I'd like to see some videos of your favorite tracks of some of the current artists.

Oh boy this could get long. My personal favorites are Lupe Fiasco, Nas, Andre 3000, Kendrick Lamar, Jay-Z, ATQC, Jeezy, Skyzoo, Evidence, The Pharcyde, Slum Village, amongst others.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT