ADVERTISEMENT

Wonder how true?

Respectfully, all three of those programs will gladly disagree with you. The amount of money they’ve gotten has proved they made the right decision. Maryland in particular.

UMD’s athletic department was in the absolute pits. In debt, horribly managed and flailing. Being apart of the B1G has resuscitated them.

Arkansas has had a great run in both football and basketball for a mid tier program in the SEC. I’m sure they’re more than raking it in.

Nebraska, as bad as they have been on the field, look at what they left. The Big 12 is a shell of themselves. The two top programs just bolted to join the SEC. They made unquestionably the right move, and I’d argue the B1G is more pissed they were the ones that jumped the gun, not vice versa.

Duke is in no man’s land. They have to hope UNC takes them with them. They also have to hope there is room. If UNC goes to the B1G, and ND is already there, there may not be room.
You are the moderator. I don't want to be banned, but I think that you're terribly wrong. Perhaps those programs are treeading water financially, but they are playing the role of the Washington Generals for the the Harlem Globetrotters

You are the moderator. I don't want to be banned, but I think that you're terribly wrong. Perhaps those programs are treeading water financially, but they are playing the role of the Washington Generals for the the Harlem Globetrotters
To get the garbage out of the way…I’d never ban anyone who hasn’t consistently given a reason to be banned. Disagreeing with me isn’t a reason to be banned. It’s a message board. Differing opinions are welcomed.

Moving on. I think the common mistake is to focus on a program’s on field performance. In this case Nebraska and UMD, which quite frankly have been pitiful. Focusing on the only thing that matters in realignment which is football, that’s 100% true.

To believe that, ultimately, that’s what matters, is naive. What matters, and I’ve tried to explain this with regards to UNC’s value as a program for the top two conferences, it has little to do with on the field performance.

So from the conference perspective. If the B1G could do it over again, they probably don’t want Rutgers, Md, or Nebraska. Let’s focus on the first two. The first two, come with two huge DESIRABLE markets- NYC/NJ and DC/DMV. It makes total sense that the B1G would want that locked up. Even if those programs stink, they see the value of sending their top tier programs into those away games. Financially, no brainer. As for the schools themselves, they’ll gladly take it. Those two programs? They saw the man in the mirror. They realized it’s adapt or perish time for them. It’s Maryland and Rutgers. No one is watching them. Get in while the gettin’s good.

For Nebraska. They were once a bonafide top tier program. But times have passed them by. Like Miami, at times in the last 20-30 years, FSU, ND, Bama, Michigan, USC, they have struggled. The difference between all of them but Nebraska, is that they have more brand, national recognition, and most importantly resources to stay afloat when times are tough. They can rebound. Nebraska did the right thing. They jumped at the best opportunity to give them any chance to stay relevant. Now they’re locked into the second best conference. They’re safe. They’re not like Ok State, WVU, KSU, TT, who have better programs now, but are searching hard and begging for someone to let them into the party. It’s simple dollars and cents, common sense.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Respectfully, all three of those programs will gladly disagree with you. The amount of money they’ve gotten has proved they made the right decision. Maryland in particular.

UMD’s athletic department was in the absolute pits. In debt, horribly managed and flailing. Being apart of the B1G has resuscitated them.

Arkansas has had a great run in both football and basketball for a mid tier program in the SEC. I’m sure they’re more than raking it in.

Nebraska, as bad as they have been on the field, look at what they left. The Big 12 is a shell of themselves. The two top programs just bolted to join the SEC. They made unquestionably the right move, and I’d argue the B1G is more pissed they were the ones that jumped the gun, not vice versa.

Duke is in no man’s land. They have to hope UNC takes them with them. They also have to hope there is room. If UNC goes to the B1G, and ND is already there, there may not be room.
In all seriousness does Carolina take us with them? I mean why would they unless it’s just to preserve the rivalry but honestly if they’re leaving the ACC do they care about tradition or just saving themselves?

Thanks for your contributions as moderator and your excellent response. Maryland used to be really good in football. Excellent coaches from Jim Tatum to Jerry Claiborne to Bobby Ross. Now they're a joke

The Nebraska move makes more sense. They're similar to Iowa and Indiana. It was miraculous that they were a top ten program for all of my youth

The program that I don't understand is Texas. They should have the best football program in the country. Oklahoma and Arkansas and the Texas schools such as Baylor and Texas Tech should gladly line up for the opportunity to finish second in the conference with Texas

Texas getting Manning could be a game changer. Sometimes it just takes one guy, if others follow. With those resources it is prob a matter of time with them.

Reactions: geddoughton23
In all seriousness does Carolina take us with them? I mean why would they unless it’s just to preserve the rivalry but honestly if they’re leaving the ACC do they care about tradition or just saving themselves?
I honestly don’t know.

Reactions: pisgah101
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT