ADVERTISEMENT

Wonder how true?

The glory days of college basketball and the ACC appear to be very much behind us at this point

Surprised FSU and Clemson haven’t left earlier. The ACC and Pac10 will be obsolete in 4 years.

Nothing would surprise me. We are in an upside down world, common sense is not so common, and college sports have turned into a full bore circus. The leaders of the ncaa have driven us to the cliff, and society has then pushed the bus over it.

Everything is driven by the dollar. It’s gone too far though.

If you’re close to 40 and older, at least you’ve seen some of the better times for Duke basketball. You are fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

The next thing to fall will be this message board. It has been in the hospital for the last few years, but getting sicker.

Last edited:
Nothing would surprise me. We are in an upside down world, common sense is not so common, and college sports have turned into a full bore circus. The leaders of the ncaa have driven us to the cliff, and society has then pushed the bus over it.

Everything is driven by the dollar. It’s gone too far though.

If you’re close to 40 and older, at least you’ve seen some of the better times for Duke basketball. You are fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

The next thing to fall will be this message board. It has been in the hospital for the last few years, but getting sicker.
have I got a board for you!!!! Lol

Ugh, UNC leaving Duke behind is a problem (if it happens).

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
I can't see the SEC going for UVA. Nor the other way around. Not a good fit. The Big 10 and UVA is a very good fit.

I wouldn't be surprised if everyone is speaking with everyone else, but this one doesn't seem to make sense.

If you were to put Duke, Gonzaga, Kentucky , Kansas, Nova, UCON, Louisville, all into the same Conference with about five more non-Football schools that would be one tough conference.

I can't see the SEC going for UVA. Nor the other way around. Not a good fit. The Big 10 and UVA is a very good fit.

I wouldn't be surprised if everyone is speaking with everyone else, but this one doesn't seem to make sense.
I think that it was a prank. The UVA mention was a dead giveaway. That kind of trolling happened last go around also. The West Virginia board was just full of it. Not even going to look now, I am sure that it is hip high in it.

Its not college athletics anymore it’s professional sports now. Gone are the days of unity and development and buying into a team….now conferences will realign due to the almighty dollar. I hope this generation likes the current landscape…..it’s only going to get worse. I’ve slowly lost interest over the years…..I dont even watch college football at all now and my interest in Duke basketball fades the further down the rabbit hole this goes.

I don’t know if it’s true or not, but if it’s not true, it will be in the be in the not too distant future. As much as I hate it, it’s the reality, and Duke has to be prepared for when the ACC crumbles. Coach Elko isn’t going to be happy if Duke were to pursue anything other than the ACC or Big 10/12/28. I’m wondering if he had a discussion about this with Duke before he signed on - these further conference realignments aren’t anything that that we should be surprised about, and I’m sure he anticipated it. When - not if - this happens, I’d expect Duke to try to join the SEC. Geographically, and (currently) in all sports other than football, Duke fits the SEC. We all know that academics are no longer relevant to conference affiliation.

You guys realize Duke played a major part in the way college sports are these days. I'm not bashing them, they were given a set of rules and they ran w it. But selling 1 and dones on the exposure, filling NBA arenas, Nike money..this all helped pave the way for what we're seeing..and now w NIL and college programs having NBA type general managers?? Can't have all this then cry the blues when the dollar dominates to the point of what we're seeing. Remember when San Diego St was gonna join the Big East and it was laughable? Seems pretty plausible now

It's changing fast. I don't like it because i like to talk basketball and recruiting and it seems like this is dominating the conversation everywhere you go. I wish things would stay as they are, but it won't. I don't mind change but this seems to be happening so fast it's like a feeding frenzy and it feels like schools are panicking.

I don’t know if it’s true or not, but if it’s not true, it will be in the be in the not too distant future. As much as I hate it, it’s the reality, and Duke has to be prepared for when the ACC crumbles. Coach Elko isn’t going to be happy if Duke were to pursue anything other than the ACC or Big 10/12/28. I’m wondering if he had a discussion about this with Duke before he signed on - these further conference realignments aren’t anything that that we should be surprised about, and I’m sure he anticipated it. When - not if - this happens, I’d expect Duke to try to join the SEC. Geographically, and (currently) in all sports other than football, Duke fits the SEC. We all know that academics are no longer relevant to conference affiliation.
Duke’s academics and elite basketball program make them a prime candidate for SEC membership. If a mega-conference is in the works, you can be assured the SEC will want Duke.

Duke’s academics and elite basketball program make them a prime candidate for SEC membership. If a mega-conference is in the works, you can be assured the SEC will want Duke.
I’m not sure our basketball program would be enough to get Duke in the SEC, and I don’t believe the SEC will weigh academics much when it comes to membership criteria. But i do think that Duke is going to be at least respectable in football in the next 2 years, with possibly even better days ahead - membership in the SEC can only help our recruiting.

Reactions: Fourteen44

Academics isnt even part of this conversation....otherwise MIT would be a much sort after addition...this is about money and TV....this is truly the separation of the student from the athlete

Reactions: sheyduke
Yea, Vandy couldn't get into the modern SEC. For that matter, I doubt UK could get in either, too weak in football. IMO, the SEC stands pat. They are not going to want that pie divided into smaller pieces.
Kentucky doesn't have much football success, but they're good right now. 10 wins last year with a bowl win over Iowa last year. They beat NC State in a bowl the year before.. Mark Stoops is a good coach. They hit hard

Yea, Vandy couldn't get into the modern SEC. For that matter, I doubt UK could get in either, too weak in football. IMO, the SEC stands pat. They are not going to want that pie divided into smaller pieces.

You obviously haven't watched UK football lately. Last 4 years they have 2 10 win seasons and an 8 win season. They also have a legit coach leading the program.

The Big 10 at least nominally is paying attention to academics. 15 of 16-everybody except Nebraska—Big 10 schools is a member of the Association of American Universities. That includes USC and UCLA. Only 60 or so schools are members and membership does carry weight in academic circles. Duke and Virginia are members and that would make it more likely that the Big 10 would want them and make it more likely that they would be receptive. UNC also is a member and likely would fall in that boat. The variable here is would the NC State Legislature try to bundle UNC and NC State the way that Virginia did with UVA and VT back in the day. The Big 10 likely would not be receptive to the Wolfpack. Perhaps the SEC would. But no guarantees.

Keep in mind that North Carolina is the nation's 9th most populous state and Virginia is the 12th, making both states prime targets for acquisition for the two power conferences that have so far been shut out of those lucrative markets.

Georgia Tech also is a member of the AAU. But they have geographic and historical relationships with the SEC. But the SEC already has a strong outpost in the state of Georgia and GT's football program has not even been competitive in the ACC recently. So, who knows?

Reactions: geddoughton23
Jiml, thank you for your analysis which is always appreciated.

Do you see this happening quickly, like in the next few years, or further down the road, after the Big 10 sees how it works out with its new members? In my opinion, the longer it takes, the more likely Coach Elko can get Duke Football back to being decent which would be important for Duke's attractiveness.

Jiml, thank you for your analysis which is always appreciated.

Do you see this happening quickly, like in the next few years, or further down the road, after the Big 10 sees how it works out with its new members? In my opinion, the longer it takes, the more likely Coach Elko can get Duke Football back to being decent which would be important for Duke's attractiveness.
I can’t speak for Jim, he’s a lot more knowledgeable than I’d ever hope to be.

Imo, it’s sooner than later. Programs and conferences are scurrying to not be left behind.

Imo, the program, most appealing to both of the top two programs is UNC. They’ve done a great job of positioning themselves by building up and focusing on their football program. Naturally, people will be quick to point out their lack of on field success, but that’s not what this is really about. It’s about money, eye balls, and what you bring to the table.

The caveat re: the above, is this is all programs left not named ND, who basically can call it’s own shot. If ND decides sooner than later to join the B1G, I think you’ll see the implosion of the ACC as we know it. UNC will pick which conference it wants to join of the big 2 and we will see who joins them. The dominos will fall from there.

I can’t speak for Jim, he’s a lot more knowledgeable than I’d ever hope to be.

Imo, it’s sooner than later. Programs and conferences are scurrying to not be left behind.

Imo, the program, most appealing to both of the top two programs is UNC. They’ve done a great job of positioning themselves by building up and focusing on their football program. Naturally, people will be quick to point out their lack of on field success, but that’s not what this is really about. It’s about money, eye balls, and what you bring to the table.

The caveat re: the above, is this is all programs left not named ND, who basically can call it’s own shot. If ND decides sooner than later to join the B1G, I think you’ll see the implosion of the ACC as we know it. UNC will pick which conference it wants to join of the big 2 and we will see who joins them. The dominos will fall from there.
Patience is a virtue. Chasing the money hasn't worked for Maryland, Nebraska, Arkansas, etc. Duke and UNC are national brands. They will be fine if they work in tandem and don't panic

Patience is a virtue. Chasing the money hasn't worked for Maryland, Nebraska, Arkansas, etc. Duke and UNC are national brands. They will be fine if they work in tandem and don't panic
Respectfully, all three of those programs will gladly disagree with you. The amount of money they’ve gotten has proved they made the right decision. Maryland in particular.

UMD’s athletic department was in the absolute pits. In debt, horribly managed and flailing. Being apart of the B1G has resuscitated them.

Arkansas has had a great run in both football and basketball for a mid tier program in the SEC. I’m sure they’re more than raking it in.

Nebraska, as bad as they have been on the field, look at what they left. The Big 12 is a shell of themselves. The two top programs just bolted to join the SEC. They made unquestionably the right move, and I’d argue the B1G is more pissed they were the ones that jumped the gun, not vice versa.

Duke is in no man’s land. They have to hope UNC takes them with them. They also have to hope there is room. If UNC goes to the B1G, and ND is already there, there may not be room.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT