ADVERTISEMENT

The Frosh from one NBA scout's point of view

Jake1985

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2002
My old college roommate is an NBA team scout. Periodically I am able to check in with him and as always I talk Duke players/basketball. Here's what he said about the Duke Frosh and their draft stock:
Okafor- For sure top 3 pick. He said "the kid playing oversees (in China) and another player (he did not name) would all position themselves as the top 3 picks." He said "I really like how Okafor has worked to reshape his body. I would like to see him more dominate on the glass at both ends." He believes Okafor will get tested by some of the bigs in the ACC.
Winslow- He said, "the kids is definitely intriguing and a talent. I don't necessarily agree with the comparisons to James Harding or MKG. I think Harding was so much more of a polished scorer and MKG was just a tad more physically defensely, but there's not much margin there. I have read those draft reports and I don't put too much weight into them because they are trendy. If I had to guess I could see Winslow in the 10-15 range by the end of the season. I think he is very athletic as an NBA 2 but he doesn't have the scorers tools yet."
Jones- "I like him in the Duke system especially next to a seasoned vet like Cook. He's physically stronger than what most first imagined and he can score some. He would have trouble staying in front of athletic point guards like Wall and Westbrook and I'm just not sure yet of his NBA value. He could return for his Soph season but if he did come out I would guess late first to early second."
Allen-"I know there is no talk if him because he has only gotten limited minutes to show what he's got but he's definitely one that I will personally watch. He has some Wade in his game and that translates into an NBAer. I have to other scouts who also are high on him based on ability and intangibles. He has a ways to go before he gets to the NBA but once he gets there he's got a shot. "

Just passing along.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News