Part 2- Duke 2018 incoming class

RJ Barrett
What is known: Elite talent
What needs to be answered: shooting
Draft potential: 1-3
Intangible: motor & a true gamer
Projected position(s): the 2
Outlook- In his own words
"RJ is a sure fire Pro in all aspects but he has areas he will work on at his year at Duke. What Duke will get is a kid that is a workout, gym rat warrior with an tuned in intensity in games. If you need a bucket, he's you're guy. If you need a player to deny or shadow an opposing player, he's your guy. If you want a do as I do court leader, he's your guy. He's deserving of all the accolades he's received. His body has already transformed and I'd expect him to get in the 205-210 range, but don't get me wrong, he's strong now, and will continue to work on his body. People want to see his 3pt shooting or pull up jumpers fall with a great percentage and by the time Duke hits the floor, RJ will have had months of putting up 2000 shots per day. He's that type of kid. Scouts just want to see him improve (and not regress) his only year in college. He's a Pro and an career All-Star at the NBA level. Barring any injury etc.. I'd think he'll be listed at 6-7 205 which would be good. If he got up to 210 that would be great."

Cameron Reddish
What is known: Skill level
What needs to be answered: motor & focus
Draft potential: 1-5
Intangible: Combination of size & skill
Projected position(s): 1, 2 or 3
"When you watch him the first thing that jumps out is his how long he is and his advanced skills that could make him a lead guard (like former Duke recruit Shaun Livingston) or a ball handling wing. I saw him play recently and he could very well be touching 6-9 and his reach makes him so big. I'd question if he was thicker (heavier than) RJ. This is an area he really needs to focus on. People talk about him coasting or being disengaged in games but I see that as he's not being challenged so it's boring for him. He showed a good stat line in the McDonald's game and he looked like he was coasting there. Imagine when he's focused. That's Duke's job. His overall abilities might (and I do mean might) be more advanced than any player; not only in Duke's class but the entire class. The Scouts just need to see his game intensity next year on a game to game basis."

Tre Jones
What is known: high basketball IQ
What needs to be answered: Strength
Draft potential: 2019, low 20's- high 30's
Intangible: Winner
Projected position(s): 1
"If all you Duke fans expect Tre to be the next Tyus (his older brother) then you all will be setting yourselves up. Tre is not Tyus... He might be better; not in terms of what he gives to Duke but in is overall ability. Tre is bigger (I'd guess 1 or so taller than Tyus), stronger, faster, more athletic/explosive, and a gritty defender. Questions may arise about his 3pt shooting and its agreed (I'm sure Tre would agree too) that's an area to work on but his mid range jumper is clean and pure. He's a definite lead guard and with what he has around him he might only average maybe 8-9ppg but he could average 6-7 assist. He's got the kid, Young's (Oklahoma PG) court vision and he's just under control. He will for sure need to get physically stronger (I think he's listed at a buck seventy five), and he will wear down and be taken advantage of in the ACC. Overall, a good prospect; not great like RJ & Cam, and don't think Tyus."

Zion Williamson
What is known: freak athlete
What needs to be answered: can he score
Draft potential: 2-15
Intangible: strength
Projected position(s): positionless
"Everyone watches his YouTube dunks and such, but watch his basketball skills because they are there and they will get better in college. He checks all the physical boxes to be a Pro, but he's 6-7 max is shoes, so the Scouts need to find out ways to use him. Is he a 2 or a 3? Not yet, his basketball ball handing skills, decision making and how to move off the ball as a shooter (and shooting). Is he a 4 or stretch 4? Not really because he doesn't have that ideal size or post presence. Now all those points I touched on might seem like a lot but it's really not; it's fine tuning or honing in a skills because when you're that athletic things are easier to get done. He's so uniques and in the Pro's they will iso him and let him do his thing. At Duke he might get the same but he will need to do other things too. The one area I'm looking the closest at is what type of a rebounder will he be on both ends. It's not a concern but is he going to be the man in the glass like Bagley (a high volume rebounder) or is he going to be just another guy trying to grab rebounds. Duke needs him to play big and as some type of a 4 defensively but he's hybrid forward offensively; not just a guy you only plant in the post. He can do a lot of things and I'm looking forward to seeing how Coach K use him. Overall, the kid is the type of athlete the NBA covets and most any team will take him. Last thing, for all his fame, he's not an egomaniac. He's actually quite reserve and a good kid.

** I asked him to add EJ Montgomery
EJ Montgomery
What is known: scoring
What needs to be answered: willingness to play as a big
Draft potential: 2018 bottom 1 to top 2
Intangible: versatility
Projected position(s): 4 (and college 5)
"Ah, I kind of knew you'd bring EJ up. There's something about him and ask anyone from the McD's practices, he's talented and incredibly long. Easy 6-10 plus with over a 7-0 wing span. He's crafty with his left hand and does a good job of scoring in the post. He wants to be a face up type player but he's more than capable of playing in and out like a Bagley (just not Bagley). EJ is a player that might surprise once he gets on campus and infused into a college system. My old eyes might be off but if he's 215 that would have to be after eating a Holiday meal and soaking wet, but I could be wrong because his body is deceiving because he's so long. He will definitely need to add strength and weight. I actually think he would completely fit I at Duke (Kentucky, UNC, Vandy, Clemson or anyone else on his list). Where ever he ends up, he's a huge talent waiting to erupt but it could take some time. He's a Pro talent and if he shows that he could be on he radar for 2019."

I asked him if he could make some projections
Best Pro prospect: Reddish
Best Pro: RJ
The most to gain from being in college: EJ
The most to lose from being in college: Zion
Player who will surprise: EJ
Player that will be a fan favorite: All of them, but if one, that's hard, but Tre Jones

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News