ADVERTISEMENT

Pro Scout and others chime in

Jake1985

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2002
I was able to get some feedback from some of the sources I trust the most regarding the 2019 class. It took some time for me get all of their responses, but it was interesting to hear what they all said.

What college program will end up with the best 2019 recruiting class?

Pro Scout- “I think Kentucky is in a good spot for having the top class. It remains to be seen where the remaining players go, but if they land at least a couple of those guys, their class will be tough to beat.”

AAU Coach (CA)- “I think USC and Arizona’s classes will be right up there. I can see Arizona at least being in the conversation if they get Mannion and McDaniels. I think what makes the classes are necessarily the 5 star guys but how many of the high 4 star type players they also add.”

HS Coach (FL): “UNC has the makings for a monster class. One that will put them back on the map as a legit force in the recruiting world. I can see Josh Green and Cole Anthony committing there. Landing Bacot was the first piece and he is a primary reason that some other guys in the class could end up at UNC.”

AAU Coach (TX): “Kentucky. I’m not sure that any one program, this summer, has invested as much time with the top 30 players and getting this kind of positive responses. It just seems as though Coach Cal and his staff are delivering a new message that has the players and their families not only listening, but believing it.”

In your opinion, which player has the most pro potential?

Pro Scout: “I think when you say pro potential, it’s Cole Anthony. His game is already made for the pro game. He has it all and one year in college (if he goes) he will be able to work on those specific parts of his game such as seeing passes earlier in his reading of the game, and his strength. He is a sure fire one-and done kid.”

AAU Coach (CA): “James Wiseman. He is an Anthony Davis clone in my opinion. There are other players that might be more skilled or physically stronger, but I feel that he has the best chance to make the biggest impact as a pro as a rookie.”

HS Coach (FL): “Vernon Carey. He has it all as a modern-day NBA big man. The thing I like the most about his game is he is able to play inside, outside offensively and rebound on both glasses as well as be a rim protector. He’s so strong.”

AAU Coach (TX): “Josh Green. This kid can flat out score in many ways and the NBA likes players like that. I think that as the year goes on and he plays in college, his name will be mentioned as a potential top 3-5 pick in the draft.”

Favorite player in the 2019 class?

Pro Scout: “Matthew Hurt, although I really like Cole Anthony. Hurt to me is a player who is really part of that positionless basketball theme. He is a tall guy at around 6-9, but he has guard skills and shot making ability. Now he does need to add strength and become more committed to playing physically in the paint and battling for rebounds, but I think that will come in time. I really enjoy watching him play; he keeps expanding his game and it’s fun to watch.”

AAU Coach (CA)” Khalil Whitney is my pick. He can do a little bit of everything and going to Kentucky, he will be able to showcase all of his versatility. I think he has flown a tad under the radar, but is now getting the recognition he rightfully deserves. He is so smooth.”

HS Coach (FL): “Josh Green. I’m not trying to be a homer because he’s at IMG (Academy), but I like his ability to score, defend and play make. He has a chance to be special this year and his one year in college. I like his shooting form and the way he moves off the ball and gets in himself in a good shooting position.”

AAU Coach (TX): “Jaden McDaniels. He is very capable of being a legit scorer. I think he has a huge upside and that he will continue to improve. He is the ideal size for a pro 2 or 3 and I can see him to be ready to exploding in college. I want to see him in head-to-head matchups with other elite players and see how he responses.”

Who is the most versatile player in the class?

Pro Scout: “This is a tough one because I feel that the class is not so much an abundance of elite type players, but a bunch of players that can do a lot of things. I like a lot of kids, but I’ll go with Josiah James. He is a player that can play offensively the 1-3 and defensively the 1-4 (in college). It’s not uncommon for players to be multi-dimensional offensively, but it’s his willingness to impact the game defensively that catches my eye.

AAU Coach (CA): “ Precious Achiuwa. He just can do it all. He is more physically developed than most HS kids, his competitiveness is off the charts intense and he dominates opposing players. I am not sure his value will really show until he gets to the pro level, but I really enjoy his game.”

HS Coach (FL): “Wendell Moore. I was at some of the events this summer and he just impressed me. He influenced the game in so many ways. It could have been getting a defensive rebound, an offensive put back, making a bucket or tough man-to man. I am impressed by his willingness to sacrifice personal stats or glory for the benefit of his team.”

AAU Coach (TX): Tyrese Maxey. By far he is my favorite player to watch. It might be because he is a Texas kid and I’m from Texas too, but he is so explosive both on and off the ball. I would put him in the same category as Cole (Anthony) as far as a player that is most likely to be on the Sports Center top 10. He is so gifted both athletically and skillfully. I just can’t say enough.”

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffrey236
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News