ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What are your favorite David Letterman memories?

DutchDevil

Recruit
Apr 21, 2015
A true television icon is officially retiring this week and I was wondering if anyone else enjoyed his comedy and interviews as much as I have over the years, and if so, what are some of your favorite memories.

My favorite guests were Jack Hanna and Richard Simmons. Whenever Jack Hanna would come on with his zoo animals I knew things would quickly get out of control and I loved how he always tried to remain serious and describe the animals while Letterman was losing it. I also enjoyed the shows where Richard Simmons would be a guest and Letterman would end up spraying him with a fire extinguisher or doing something else hilarious at Simmons' expense.

I like Jay Leno a whole lot better but I love the top 10s any time I watched him it was to see that

I like the top tens but Johnny Carson still tops the charts for me. OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
I'm not a huge Letterman fan, but I do like the stupid pet/human tricks...and some of the Top 10 lists. And I agree, Dutch, that Jack Hanna was/is a great guest...tuned in anytime I saw he was on Letterman (or Leno).

OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
I remember when he had a series of shows on the West Coast. He got a convertible and filled it up with crispy tacos from Taco Bell and drove around giving them away. It was hilarious when he literally ordered a car load of tacos at the drive thru. Anyone else remember that?

Sad to see him go. He entertained my family for many, many years and gave my brother and I the perfect excuse to stay up past our bed times during the summer months on break from school.

I agree, Letterman is far, far too left for me also. Originally he tried to stay neutral but became more liberal as he aged and then when Obama was elected he really blossomed.

I grew up on old-school Late Night with David Letterman. Some of the funniest stuff ever done on television back then, Larry Bud Mellman, Chris Elliot as the guy under the seats...stupid pet tricks, great stuff. When he went to CBS he lost a lot of his edge and I eventually tuned out. He was also getting more left-wing by the time I stopped watching, early Dave though skewered both parties equally...

Letterman's talk after 9/11 was awesome. Was never a big fan of his but that speech was perfect!

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
Whenever someone starts an NBA-related thread and people chime in with things like "I hate the NBA," the NBA fans respond with comments like "Why are you reading this if you don't like the NBA?"

In that spirit, if you don't like Letterman, piss off. Dude was on TV for more than 30 years. Too bad you couldn't enjoy the laughs or great music because of your politics. Your loss.

Years ago he was making fun of Ted Turner. Turner had made some crazy sound and Letterman kept looping the sound bite and it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen at the time. It was the late 80's or early 90's. I was in tears with laughter. Letterman loved it.

I am simply blown away by how some people let politics run their lives. There are more important things than being pissed off all the time. What a waste of energy.

I find the disdain for him by some on here perplexing. He's an institution.

No doubt. To deprive yourself of something or dismiss it because of your political affiliations or the like is bizarre to me, particularly when said item is not overtly political. I wouldn't be willing to miss out on so much.

I always have been and will always be, strictly, a Conan man. Neither Letterman nor Leno and CERTAINLY NOT Jimmy Fallon.

Though I acknowledge Carson's legendary status. He was just before my time, literally.

Love Conan. Wish NBC and Leno hadn't screwed him over, since it just feels weird watching his show on TBS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT