ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pet Peeves

dukiejay

Mar 2, 2005
Minneapolis
We all have them. I'm a bit like Larry David in that I have many.

One of my current biggest is when people post a score from a game and say, "we lost 60-62." Ummm....no, you didn't. You lost 62-60. Never, ever, under any circumstance do you post the losing score first. Ever.

What is one of your biggest pet peeves? Trust me, this could 30 pages on my pet peeves alone. I'm very cynical by nature.

I could go on and on and on. I'll take your lead here though on basketball. I absolutely hate when you get someone that looks at a box score and the FT discrepancy and determine from that alone that the game wasn't called fairly.

Another OT because it happened this morning- a Yield sign, doesn't mean stop completely when no one is coming. just freaking go.

1. Mopeds. Especially those knuckleheads who play the, "I can take up the entire lane and I dare you to hit me" stance.

2. Litter bugs. I see trash everywhere I go, the beach, up in the mountains miles down the trail, fishing, trash in the water, on the bank. Just about everywhere you go , no matter how remote, some dumbass has thrown down a beer can, candy wrapper or cigarette butt.

3. People who don't use turn signals. WTF do you think that little lever is for on your steering column. Use your damn signal, we'd like to know where you're going.

4. Texting drivers. I get run off the road almost every day by some dipstick who thinks it's more important to finish that FB post than live to see tomorrow. You honk so they don't finish running you completely out of your lane then they flip you off. omg.

5. Shopping cart Laz-tards . After you put your groceries in your vehicle walk your lazy, sorry ass to the cart return section. Don't leave the cart rolling free in the parking lot to bang against our car you inconsiderate lazy turd. Half the time we're dodging your cart to park. Stop being worthless.

6. People who will not yield to faster traffic in the passing lane. If everyone on the road would yield to the right if the car in back of you is closing, all our travels would be flawless. Drives me insane.

:D:DThis gonna be fun because we are gonna step on each others toes. People who text while driving, while in church, while at funerals, while in restaurants eating with you, texting while having a conversation with you and any type of distracted driver whether it's texting, on the phone, eating, reading the morning paper or applying make up. They are just as dangerous as a person D.U.I. because they can cause an accident and be completely unaware that they caused it because they were so into the distraction. Sorry if I did step on toes. :D OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: christophero
Pet peeves?

Your and you're aren't the same word.
Complimentary and complementary aren't the same word.
Its and it's aren't the same word.
Their, there and they're are three different words, with three different meanings.

And I love it when sentences have periods at the end.

Obviously, I'm fighting a losing battle on this. :)

Bad drivers. They drive me crazy. If the speed limit is 55 all I ask is that you go 55. Don't go 48. It pisses me off. One more thing....horrible left-lane drivers. If the speed limit is 65 and you're doing 60 do it in the right lane.

Pet peeves?

Their, there and they're are three different words, with three different meanings.

Your so right Its something that drives me crazy to They're people in this world who will never learn

1. Mopeds. Especially those knuckleheads who play the, "I can take up the entire lane and I dare you to hit me" stance.

2. Litter bugs. I see trash everywhere I go, the beach, up in the mountains miles down the trail, fishing, trash in the water, on the bank. Just about everywhere you go , no matter how remote, some dumbass has thrown down a beer can, candy wrapper or cigarette butt.

3. People who don't use turn signals. WTF do you think that little lever is for on your steering column. Use your damn signal, we'd like to know where you're going.

4. Texting drivers. I get run off the road almost every day by some dipstick who thinks it's more important to finish that FB post than live to see tomorrow. You honk so they don't finish running you completely out of your lane then they flip you off. omg.

5. Shopping cart Laz-tards . After you put your groceries in your vehicle walk your lazy, sorry ass to the cart return section. Don't leave the cart rolling free in the parking lot to bang against our car you inconsiderate lazy turd. Half the time we're dodging your cart to park. Stop being worthless.

6. People who will not yield to faster traffic in the passing lane. If everyone on the road would yield to the right if the car in back of you is closing, all our travels would be flawless. Drives me insane.

We have some of he same pet peeves. Texting see below and litter bugs. I work part time at a local lake and once a week or so I go out on the Gator and pick up guard rail trash on both sides of the bridge crossing the lake. I can't count the times that right after I have picked up litter on one side of the road that some rude,inconsiderate idiot throws out garbage just right after I picked it up. They saw what I was doing and did it anyway. OFC

I hate when slow drivers are in the left lane. Even more than that I hate when a slow driver is in the left lane and is going the same speed as someone in the lane next to them so that no one can get around and they single handily hold up everyone.

Pet peeves?

Your are correct in you're observations on this Jim. Now go and answer the trivia question. I know you will get it correct. ;) OFC

Reactions: sgrooms
I was going to lost about the turn signals but Show beat me to it. It is an epidemic in Virginia and North Carolina (where I spend all my time).

Also (as ridiculous as it is for it to bother me) people who write checks at stores. It is 2016 for Christ sake. Get a card and get moving.

Never, ever, under any circumstance do you post the losing score first. Ever.
I grant one exception: when listing the score in a spreadsheet format from the perspective of one team. This eliminates the need to identify "W" or "L."
I agree with the rule, though.

Mine: When drivers can safely and easily move over to accommodate merging, but don't. (We could probably do 30 pages on driving pet peeves alone.)

Political seasons bring all kinds of bs rhetoric to mind, most recently pretending that the Orlando shooting could have been carried out just as easily with a Nerf football if he had a mind to murder as a means of thwarting even the discussion of sensible gun control.

We all have them. I'm a bit like Larry David in that I have many.

When I saw the title of this thread I was afraid the first sentence would be "When people start multiple movie threads on the basketball board". :)

Mine would include when people add an "s" to the end of the words "toward", "forward", and "backward".

When people say "I could care less" when what they mean is "I couldn't care less".

I'm with Show as to the blinkers.

I'll have to think about the many more.

Not necessarily a pet peeve that gets my blood boiling, but I find it interesting and somewhat rude when there's a little group chat going on and then someone uses a third person pronoun to talk about someone else that is present in the group discussion. It gives the impression to the subject that the conversation is about them, but not with them - even though they're right there.

Reading all the posts let me emphatically agree with people who cited texting-while-driving. Moronic, selfish and dangerous beyond comprehension.

Reactions: skysdad
My biggest pet peeve is when you're talking to someone through text or messenger and they stop responding without any warning

Reactions: Dad2ze
When I was still dating before engaged I hated first dates where she text.. You don't get much ruder than that.

3. Turn Signals - OMG!!!! You are asking permission to come over. I don't have to grant you permission. These morons just flick it on and move right on over.

5. Shopping Carts - the only free pass is the elderly and I'll usually put it away for them and very pregnant women and newborn moms who are alone. Again I put it away for them. I saw a lady the other day right in front of me. She parked beside the cart return, loaded groceries in back of her car, rolled cart to front of car and left it. I was like WTF!!!!! You took more effort to walk to the front and finagle the cart don't wouldn't roll away.

Reactions: Showenuff
Someone who text you while driving and you call them. They don't answer but respond with text saying "busy call ya later!" You just texted me. You can't be that damn busy!!!!

People who get off an escalator or step out of an elevator and just stop to figure out where they are going.

People who walk over a piece of trash that is in their path and don't pick it up.

Turn signals -- there just there. You should use them.

Driving slow in the left lane. It's called a passing lane for a reason.

Hey DJ -- thanks.....as I post these I find I'm getting more irritated.

For basketball -- I really do not like watching basketball with people who are rabid football fans and don't know the game of basketball. They end up yelling at stuff that makes no sense. smh

Right!!! "Hey Diehard brb!" "Diehard call ya back" see it's not that hard and we aren't texting. That makes me furious.
Exactly, it's one thing if it's late and the person falls asleep (still not a good thing but more acceptable than if they just stop responding). How hard is it to just say "goodbye" or "talk to ya later".

Reactions: Dad2ze
I would rather watch the game with a diehard tarheel fan than someone who pretends to like duke. call me crazy but pretending to like my team really irritate me- "oh i'm the biggest fan" but they couldn't tell you the most basic stuff that would constitute even an average fan. fake fans irritate the hell out of me.

This gets to me. out of courtesy you let someone out in heavy traffic and they don't even acknowledge in anyway whether it's a nod of the head or a wave of the hand as a form of gratitude. They just pull out and go on. Of course many of these people are on the phone or texting so I guess they feel if they give you a thank you it could cause an accident because they wouldn't have a hand free to do it. I did pull up beside a driver that I let out to see if he would acknowledge and say thanks and he was still on the phone . We were at a long stop light and I ask he did he appreciate that I let him out in the traffic jam. He ask me what I meant. He didn't even realize I let him out. Double pet peeve on theses type of people. OFC

Lcs4mid.gif

Cheap home construction: no insulation on ductwork, no foundation, narrow hallways, etc. Why does vinyl siding exist? Why are we using folding closet doors or glass patio doors on tracks? Did hinges suddenly stop working? I get that it's cheaper, but it doesn't work and you have to rebuild it every 30 years.

1. On 3 lane highways, people who camp out in the middle lane when there is no one in either the left or right lane.
2. News people on TV who are suddenly thrust into doing sports and act like they know what they are doing even though they are pronouncing players' names wrong. I'VE HEARD TWO ANNOUNCERS MIS PRONOUNCE KYRIE SINCE SUNDAY NIGHT! DO YOUR HOMEWORK!
3. People who yell by using capital letters. Sorry about that.

Drivers who stop in the middle of the road so they can talk to someone walking. Doesn't seem to be as often as it used to be though.

Females at the banks drive through who finish with the teller, count their money, check their mirror to see if they look ok even worse put on lipstick before pulling off.

Also people who use the banks drive through for transactions that should be done INSIDE the bank.

Drivers who stop in the middle of the road so they can talk to someone walking. Doesn't seem to be as often as it used to be though.
I have a lot of friends that do this and I'm usually the person that they stop in the middle of the road to talk to but I will let them know when a car is coming up behind them so that they can pull over out of the way or drive off

Bad drivers. They drive me crazy. If the speed limit is 55 all I ask is that you go 55. Don't go 48. It pisses me off. One more thing....horrible left-lane drivers. If the speed limit is 65 and you're doing 60 do it in the right lane.

I will take that a little further. I don't know if the signs are the same everywhere, but the signs on the highway down here say "slower traffic keep right". It doesn't say anything about if you are going the speed limit you can drive in the left lane. If I am going 10 over and someone is going faster than me, I get the eff out of their way. It's safer for everyone to just let the faster car go on by. I've never understood the mindset of people who so stubbornly stay in the left lane because they think that because they are going the speed limit they can throw etiquette out the window.

Reactions: hpnole
I grant one exception: when listing the score in a spreadsheet format from the perspective of one team. This eliminates the need to identify "W" or "L."
I agree with the rule, though.

Mine: When drivers can safely and easily move over to accommodate merging, but don't. (We could probably do 30 pages on driving pet peeves alone.)

Political seasons bring all kinds of bs rhetoric to mind, most recently pretending that the Orlando shooting could have been carried out just as easily with a Nerf football if he had a mind to murder as a means of thwarting even the discussion of sensible gun control.

Another pet peeve of mine would be when people take a good thread and use it to push their political opinions on other people.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT