ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Detroit Tiger Al Kaline passes at 85.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
Former Tiger great Al Kaline has passed away at age 85. He became a MLB player out of high school at age 18 and won his an American League batting title at age 20 the youngest to ever do so. One of the most underated players of all time. OFC

Yes Sky, he was a great one that was very underrated. The 1968 WS against the Cardinals was one of my favorite World Series while I was growing up. Kaline was the heart of those Tiger teams.

Reactions: Liftee and skysdad
Was neat watching him and other greats on the old Home Run Derby Show. Not old enough to have watched it originally but somebody used to replay them. Maybe ESPN.

Reactions: skysdad
Several former athletes have passed away recently. Former NFL KIicker Tom Dempsey passed away on Saturday and former NFL player Bobby Mitchell passed away yesterday.

Reactions: skysdad
Kaline was in the golden age of right fielders. Aaron, Musial, Maris (whom I loved), Clemente, Frank Robinson, Wagner, seems like everyone had one. Kaline could do everything and did it quietly. Great arm, great bat.

Wow does that bring back memories.

OFC

The tigers were my favorite team growing up and Kaline was a steady player. He seemed to get the clutch hit and had some power. If my memory is correct it seems Cash had a few pinch hit homers.

Interesting note on Kaline.His signing bonus was $35,000.00. Pretty good money for 1953. OFC

Reactions: kingbluedevil
In 1972 kaline salary was $100,000 and next was willie horton at 80,000. Thirteen players on the roster made 13,500

The only live game I seen him play was the 1974 allstar game. He pinch hit and the American League only got four hits all night. Some all time greats played that night.

That 1968 team had light-hitting but great gloved Ray Oyler at short. They felt that they needed more bat for the series so they moved Mickey Stanley from center to short which allowed Northrup to stay in CF. That team also had an aging Eddie Mathews splitting some 3B time. Man, those days were great. Growing up in the 60's and following MLB was special.

Reactions: Liftee and skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT