ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread: Duke Vs Boston College

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
This one is scheduled for 1pm tip in Boston on the ACCN with duke currently a 9 point favorite.
After two very large goose eggs on the road in the ACC this game seems like a must have in this young conference season with many tougher teams waiting in the wings. We could be at a turning point

Boston college has already lost to us by 20 but since then they have managed a great win over VT and another good win over Notre Dame. Coach Earl Grant I’m sure has tomorrow circled as a day his program “could” get a very nice signature win for itself.

I’m not sure how many “must wins” we will have on this season(it feels like a lot) but this game seems very important for this duke team to get a W. We have a heck of a schedule the next two weeks and if we can’t get a win here we are probably in trouble. With that said-

BC-72
Duke- 74

Last edited:
This one is scheduled for 1pm tip in Boston on the ACCN with duke currently a 9 point favorite.
After two very large goose eggs on the road in the ACC this game seems like a must have in this young conference season with many tougher teams waiting in the wings. We could be at a turning point

Boston college has already lost to us by 20 but since then they have managed a great win over VT and another good win over Notre Dame. Coach Early Grant I’m sure has tomorrow circled as a day his program “could” get a very nice signature win for itself.

I’m not sure how many “must wins” we will have on this season(it feels like a lot) but this game seems very important for this duke team to get a W. We have a heck of a schedule the next two weeks and if we can’t do what we need it’s not worth having.. with that said-

BC-72
Duke- 74
345 am. Impressive most impressive
Looking at the sched ahead this is one of the more winnable games albeit on the road. On top of that it will be interesting to see how they respond. I hope the guys remember that millions of people would trade places with them in a heartbeat and go out there and play with pride and intensity

Looking at the sched ahead this is one of the more winnable games albeit on the road. On top of that it will be interesting to see how they respond. I hope the guys remember that millions of people would trade places with them in a heartbeat and go out there and play with pride and intensity
After a couple late starts I can’t afford to lose this job ;)

Duke wins by two .

Going to be another ugly offensive game but hopefully the defense gets back to normal .

Reactions: hart2chesson
I’d like to think Duke comes out pissed off but I think there is still a lot of “AAU ME” play for some reason. Duke will need to pass the ball, pound it inside to Flip/Young, and stop shooting the 3 ball. If that happens Duke will win by 5. I don’t see it happening.

BC - 73
Duke - 64

I’d like to think Duke comes out pissed off but I think there is still a lot of “AAU ME” play for some reason. Duke will need to pass the ball, pound it inside to Flip/Young, and stop shooting the 3 ball. If that happens Duke will win by 5. I don’t see it happening.

BC - 73
Duke - 64
I think Dad summed it up well. I love DUKE,and this level of play is difficult to watch.However "AAU ME" ball describes it well.

Until Duke shows me something (like a road win), I cannot pick them to win. BC not only beats the spread, they beat a spiraling Duke team. OFC

Reactions: Dad2ze
I think we win. But I’m not sure it matters at this point…we can’t get a full team on the floor and it’s the middle of Jan. You can’t develop a team that way….this season is toast I’m afraid.

I think we get the win. Coach K teams would usually get wins like this when we needed it. I hope Roach recovers soon, he was clearly not his best self. If we can't beat BC in a game we need badly I'm not sure there's much left to say. I'd like to see us play together, play tough, and pass the ball for the best shot. Take guys out if they don't follow the game plan.

Last edited:
I hope I'm wrong but I think we lose today. Main question is if Roach will recover this season? Had a couple of 10 day off days and it didn't seem to help him.

Duke will be fine . It’s time for players to play to their POTENTIAL and until THEY believe that they can it’s all up in the air .

Well Jon, time to earn that big paycheck today. :)
If we go down 10-0 I'm going back to binge watching Yellowstone.
I've been a cheerleader for Grandison, but he's been quiet lately. He needs to step up today. With Roach out him and Young are the only guys who played in college last year. (Blakes didn't play)

Last edited:
I see that Star Wars reference there.
I can't watch the game out west. I've heard we have gotten off to a good start.

Reactions: KDSTONE
At least it looks like we’re running stuff and moving the ball today

Reactions: Dad2ze
Young, Flip, Whitehead, Proctor and Mitchell.
I don’t understand one thing snd that’s why we refuse to kick out when going into a double team. Proctor had Whitehead wide open.

Reactions: christophero
Whitehead and Young appear to have gotten good starts.
12-6 Duke and 4 guys have scored. 14-12 now. 16-12. Blakes in. Proctor 0-3.
Ryan Young has made 14 straight shots.

Last edited:
We could have been up ten easily and instead it’s a game. I don’t think that’s good for us.

Whitehead with 8 points. Flip and Mitchell with 4 each. So far, so good. 21-19. At some point we need our guards to score.

Someone has to coach up Flip....the kid had a great start to the season but looks completely out of synch out there...what are his strengths? Play to those vs just driving the ball into trouble and outside shooting...he should be a force not a forced turnover...

Someone has to coach up Flip....the kid had a great start to the season but looks completely out of synch out there...what are his strengths? Play to those vs just driving the ball into trouble and outside shooting...he should be a force not a forced turnover...
Totally agree! Every time he touches the ball above the free throw line he turns it over to the other team.

He has been absolutely terrible for two weeks now. And it’s clear he’s not getting coached up because either 1) he keeps doing the same stupid stuff or 2) He keeps doing the same stupid stuff without finding his tail on the bench….

Either way coaching isn’t happening….

Reactions: jeffrey236
Agree. 50% of the time Flip puts the ball on the floor he loses it (more like 75% if it’s his spin move). And Proctor similarly needs to play to his strengths - he doesn’t have the strength or quickness to drive to the hoop. Decent mid-range shot, and can be a decent facilitator. But he seems too intent on being like Kyrie.

PG is the glaring black hole on this team...even with one out there its not a strength. A program like Duke should have elite PG play every year....in every recruiting class. Its like having a mediocre QB and expecting to win every game.

So far junior year Casey Sanders gave us more than Lively. I really hope he comes on strong late in the year. We need early year Flip back as well. Those 2 were supposed to be forces for us.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
I like Blakes but not running the point.

His handles aren’t good enough and he can’t beat his man off the dribble in half court offense.

When he gets to the basket it’s almost always off fast break or on an assist in half court.

Whitehead coming out, we need him to have a chance at turning this season around

Reactions: K-oach Q
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT