ADVERTISEMENT

Not a great Spring for the men.

Willcampbell

Cameron Crazy
Oct 20, 2004
MLax failed to make the NCAA field and Baseball failed to make ACC tourney. Can't remember the last time MLax didn't make it....anyone?
Women did well, though, and I follow them a little. Not quite ready to resort to golf or tennis.
OFC

MLax failed to make the NCAA field and Baseball failed to make ACC tourney. Can't remember the last time MLax didn't make it....anyone?
Women did well, though, and I follow them a little. Not quite ready to resort to golf or tennis.
OFC
Seems like an uphill battle for a private school in baseball. Only 11.3 scholarships? Not many if that's not the right number. Vanderbilt is always good. Lacrosse is very surprising.

OFC
M Lax was a shocker. I saw the Notre Dame game, and we just collapsed, blowing a 5 goal lead. We actually lost to the Irish twice, and had some losses to teams we should have definitely beaten IIRC. Very disappointing and uncharacteristic year for the program,not to make the dance.

Baseball certainly doesn't have the brand of Duke Men's Lax, but this was totally unexpected. Not making the ACC TOURNEY after WINNING it last year is difficult to even imagine. We were 23rd nationally at preseason. Off the field issues?? One never knows, but I will have to admit the backslide was somewhat baffling.

OFC

There's a good chance that Duke will not make the ACC baseball tournament. But the regular season doesn't end until next weekend and that determination has not been made yet.

Reactions: Willcampbell
There's a good chance that Duke will not make the ACC baseball tournament. But the regular season doesn't end until next weekend and that determination has not been made yet.
Jim please tell us what's wrong that's triggered the drastic reversal in fortunes...

OFC

It was certainly a down year for both lacrosse teams and even the women's golf team didn't excel as usual. I'm sure the lacrosse and golf teams will come back and the rise of the softball team is just amazing.

Reactions: hart2chesson
It was certainly a down year for both lacrosse teams and even the women's golf team didn't excel as usual. I'm sure the lacrosse and golf teams will come back and the rise of the softball team is just amazing.
Our softball team has been a beacon of light in a pretty dismal spring overall. OFC

Our softball team has been a beacon of light in a pretty dismal spring overall. OFC
Women's tennis is doing well. They won the ACC Tournament and are in the final eight in the NCAA Tournament.

Baseball? Darned if I know. Duke lost a lot from last year but on paper they've had the best recruiting classes they've ever had. Been a Murphy's law kind of season. Get good pitching and the bats are silent. Score some runs and the pitching falls apart. But two things stand out. The bullpen has struggled and Duke has struggled batting with runners in scoring position.

But the trend lines are still good. I would look for a bounce back next season.

This season? Duke finishes at Virginia Tech. They may need to sweep and hope for some slippage from one or both of Clemson and Georgia Tech. Not impossible. But Clemson is playing Boston College and the Eagles are just plain bad.

Duke needs to take care of business and get some help. Not either/or. Both.

And Duke does not get into the NCAAs as an at-large team. Win the ACCT or go home.

Women's tennis is doing well. They won the ACC Tournament and are in the final eight in the NCAA Tournament.

Baseball? Darned if I know. Duke lost a lot from last year but on paper they've had the best recruiting classes they've ever had. Been a Murphy's law kind of season. Get good pitching and the bats are silent. Score some runs and the pitching falls apart. But two things stand out. The bullpen has struggled and Duke has struggled batting with runners in scoring position.

But the trend lines are still good. I would look for a bounce back next season.

This season? Duke finishes at Virginia Tech. They may need to sweep and hope for some slippage from one or both of Clemson and Georgia Tech. Not impossible. But Clemson is playing Boston College and the Eagles are just plain bad.

Duke needs to take care of business and get some help. Not either/or. Both.

And Duke does not get into the NCAAs as an at-large team. Win the ACCT or go home.
Wow, tough odds for baseball. Jim thanks for enlightening us so much! Please visit more often, we know you've got the scoop.

BTW, wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your insights on the history of the ACC TOURNAMENT this winter on The ACC NETWORK!

OFC

Reactions: jeffrey236
Wow, tough odds for baseball. Jim thanks for enlightening us so much! Please visit more often, we know you've got the scoop.

BTW, wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your insights on the history of the ACC TOURNAMENT this winter on The ACC NETWORK!

OFC
Thank you,

Reactions: hart2chesson
Jim we've lost the first two of three at Virginia Tech. With one game left, I assume we will not qualify for the ACC Tourney???

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT