ADVERTISEMENT

New Duke Blue Planet vid

Roach mentions Quinn Cook and he would be a great role model for Roach.

It was great seeing Tatum come back.

Proctor looks taller than I expected. I think he is going to do big things this year.

Seeing the 3 grad students was really interesting. What an opportunity to work toward a graduate school degree while playing for the Duke team.

I love the blend of old and young on this team. I think the coaches saw what a good influence Theo was last year and wanted to get more of that influence on the team.

I can't wait for the season to start!

He still wanted to transfer after starting on a final four team? I could see midway through the season but not the way he ended the year. I imagine it is a lot of pressure.

Last edited:
He still wanted to transfer after starting on a final four team? I could see midway through the season but not the way he ended the year. I imagine it is a lot of pressure.
I think it was more or less he’s a pg . If you watch some of the games he played off ball and him coming off the bench I don’t think was ideal in his camps eye being he was the only real pg on Duke’s roster with on court experience. Never the less, he stayed and Scheyer did a great job at recruiting him to do so . Given the new transfer rules and the fact he would be the only returning player on the team it’s not out the realm that he could have contemplated that a fresh start would have been no different then the one he would be returning to.

A fresh start maybe, but the accolades of staying with Duke is something he and his support system couldn't buy.

Transferring to another high tier D1 school is a dice game for many. Roach made the right decision, and I'm glad Jon prioritized his PG coming back.

Reactions: sheyduke
It was pretty clear that Jeremy was frustrated during the middle of last season, he was coming off the bench until Keels got hurt, which was sort of a blessing in disguise. I was so happy Roach finally put it all together in March.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I've had a theory that may not be popular. That the idea of playing for Duke is very different from actually playing for Duke the last 5 years or so. Borderline guys entering the draft, transferring, guys having to be talked into staying. Maybe its the pressure, the hate, the intensity. But it seems to be a thing for a lot of our guys lately.

Reactions: DukeFanDan1982
I've had a theory that may not be popular. That the idea of playing for Duke is very different from actually playing for Duke the last 5 years or so. Borderline guys entering the draft, transferring, guys having to be talked into staying. Maybe its the pressure, the hate, the intensity. But it seems to be a thing for a lot of our guys lately.
I think your theory is more NCAA related than Duke. The amount of transfers Duke has annually is much less than the NCAA average (most programs are seeing 3-5 guys transfer a year).
The draft hit us hard this year with Keels being the guy that should have come back. But the year prior we returned Mark & Wendell who surely would of been drafted.

Or maybe it simply had to do with guys thinking they were actually better then they thought or deserved time when they didn’t receive any . Kids are just different these days. It’s either fastest way to the league or fastest way onto the court.

Reactions: christophero
If Wendell left after year two I'm not sure he would have been drafted. He surely would have been second round if he did. Mark would have been second round.

If Wendell left after year two I'm not sure he would have been drafted. He surely would have been second round if he did. Mark would have been second round.
He would have been drafted that I’m sure of . The kid is a baller, true team player and all around good young man . I suspect we see him a lot in off season Duke videos . He was a true Duke player IMO .

He would have been drafted that I’m sure of . The kid is a baller, true team player and all around good young man . I suspect we see him a lot in off season Duke videos . He was a true Duke player IMO .
I think I can see either way for Wendell. I can easily see him not getting drafted and I think he proved the value to come back and make it a certainty that he would. Kudos to him.

I think Mark had the chance to get drafted late first round after his finish to that year. Again, kudos to him for proving he can be late lottery (even though he was 15).

Yeah Wendell and Mark are shining examples of how to do it right. Coming back one more year they left nothing to chance with their draft status and led the team to the final four.

Roach and Grandison named team captains.
Edit now DBR saying just Roach.

Last edited:
Yeah I think they assumed Grandison would be a captain, he might be, but it’s coming from he and Roach will be joining Jon at the ACC media kickoff.

Roach and Blakes are the only ones who can answer the question what is it like to play for Duke?

Yeah Wendell and Mark are shining examples of how to do it right. Coming back one more year they left nothing to chance with their draft status and led the team to the final four.
They did risk career-ending injuries by coming back. Thank heavens they thrived. Gonna miss those two guys a lot.

According to DBR Mitchell has replaced Flip on the first team in scrimmages. I imagine we will have 7 different guys who start.

Last edited:
I love the idea that some team thinks they have seen Duke's best and then Flip and Proctor come off the bench with a completely different skill set! This is going to be a very difficult team to game plan for.

I’d look for Proctor to start. Just don’t see him coming off the bench. It’s scrimmages so don’t take nothing from them . I’d pencil in Flip and Lively as starters as well. Mitchell and Schutt are the wild cards with Blakes. You pretty much know what your getting from young and Grandison.

Young and Mitchell will be tough coming off the bench . It will switch two perimeter bigs out for two post bigs. Wear down the other teams bigs by making them chase flip and Lively then let Young bang in the post and Mitchell attack the basket from 12 feet out. Duke’s front court has four legitimate players that could start.

We could be very good. Our youth is still a concern, but we will be talented. I agree we need to use our depth and wear teams down.

We could be very good. Our youth is still a concern, but we will be talented. I agree we need to use our depth and wear teams down.
I think Duke will be good. I see a legit eight man rotation with Scheyer utilizing his length in the front court. It’s going to remain to be seen how deep the back court will go once Whitehead is healthy.
What’s surprising is the lack of talk on both Schutt and Blakes as I think we all agree the other two grad transfers we’re brought in for practice players . I still think we could see Catchings get spot minutes at the three for defensive purposes given he played as a pf.

I have some concern about Lively. He doesn't seem to have a lot of an offensive game and he is soooo thin. I could see some games where he's overmatched due to his lack of bulk. Luckily Flip is a little wider and Young is definitely bigger for those physical situations.

I have some concern about Lively. He doesn't seem to have a lot of an offensive game and he is soooo thin. I could see some games where he's overmatched due to his lack of bulk. Luckily Flip is a little wider and Young is definitely bigger for those physical situations.
My only concern with Lively is, like you stated he is rail thin. However ain’t to many bigs going to be able to run the floor with him either. As far as his offense he can shoot but I’d rather him play inside .

Reactions: Liftee
They just seem so much weaker than Banchero and Williams. But we do have Young and Mitchell. Several of the top teams have strong senior bigs returning. It will be interesting.

Play these kids early and see what rotation fits. With Whitehead out, that's plenty of extra minutes and overtime for some others to get.

Get Well Whitehead. In the meantime, play them boys!

Good opportunity for guys like Schutt, Blakes and Catchings to get some PT. Assuming Jon goes deeper than K, which I think he will.
Roach and Proctor play the guards, Grandison at the wing. Schutt, Blake and Catchings can backup with little worry of getting pulled right away. Great opportunity for these kids to get some burn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT