ADVERTISEMENT

NBPA Top 100 Camp Notes

BrianMc

Publisher
Staff
Apr 4, 2005
NBPA Top 100 Camp Day One Notes

The NBPA Top 100 isn’t saturated with Duke prospects, but there’s certainly quite a few squarely on Duke’s radar. The first day of the camp is always a little out of sorts, so to speak. Players are trying to get adjusted, media is trying to get settled and, honestly, it can be a whirlwind.

In the midst of all that, I was able to get a look at quite a few Duke targets yesterday. Here are my early thoughts on what I’ve seen.

* David McCormack

Clint Jackson is as familiar with McCormack’s game and recruitment as anyone, so there’s not a ton I can add that he hasn’t already shared. As far as my first impressions this weekend: He’s the real deal, and while I don’t have any say in the rankings or ratings he’s given, I can’t imagine he doesn’t ascend the list from his current No. 60 ranking. That’s just me talking, but I would be surprised if he didn’t. At 6-foot-10, 280-plus pounds, he is formidable in the paint!

McCormack is certainly skilled in the post, and he had moments where it was clear he has good footwork in the paint and possesses the tools to really develop that aspect of the game. He’s a smart player and really used all the tricks of the trade to his advantage in the paint - using the rim to shield defenders, ball fakes and drop-step spins to the hoop. He didn’t try to play outside of his skill-set, and I loved that.

There were times he could’ve been more aggressive going to the rim. He had a great move in the post, spinning to the middle of the lane and finding himself with an open look at the hoop. After elevating to finish the play (well over the rim), he tried to drop in a soft layup, and missed. The ball hit the back of the rim, leaving him a little frustrated. He knew he should’ve thrown it down and finished with authority.

Defensively, he was working hard but found himself out of place on occasion. I’ll give him a pass on that right now, as he is fresh off a trip to Italy. Tired legs, I’m sure, but he hasn’t used that as an excuse.

He will visit Duke this weekend, followed by a trip to NC State. More on that later.

* Cole Swider

This was my first chance to see Cole Swider - well, at least in which I paid closer attention. He’s drawn comparisons to Kyle Singler and Ryan Kelly.

I see a little of both in him. He’s not as wiry and long as Ryan Kelly, but he does have moves to the basket reminiscent of the former Blue Devil. He’s a little more physical than Kelly, more along the lines of Singler and he certainly didn’t seem to shy away from contact.

He’s another smart player that moves well, and understands his role and how he can best impact a team. During the first game on Wednesday, Swider was really all over the floor making plays. He can really shoot from the perimeter, and he showed it in the opener going 3-of-4 from long range. Swider scored 15 points on 5-of-7 shooting and grabbed three boards to lead his team in the first game. In the nightcap game, Swider played just 15 minutes (heard he was injured, but have not confirmed), scoring eight points on 2-of-4 shooting (a perfect 2-of-2 from 3-point range).

Need to see more to really gauge his primary areas of improvement. I liked him a lot, though. Definitely see why Duke made a move with him.

* Matthew Hurt

I have to be completely honest - I have seen Hurt play five or six times, and he’s never performed well in front of me. At least not to the top 10 ranking he currently holds. Now, let me be clear - I’m not saying that ranking is not warranted, I just haven’t seen it personally yet.

In his defense, this week probably isn’t going to produce the best examples of his skills either, as he’s coming off an injury to his hand. He was just cleared to play about three weeks ago. So, I give him a pass altogether right now.

Having said that, I have seen some moments where it’s clear he can be a threat offensively. I watched him once on Wednesday, with him scoring eight points and grabbing two rebounds. Naturally, he performed better in the second game - the one I didn’t watch - shooting 3-of-6 from long range.

He just needs to do work physically to really reach his potential, and he is very aware of that. He’s focusing on putting on weight as we speak, aiming to jump from around the 205-pound range to 220 or 225 by the start of his season.

Will have more on him later as well.

* Armando Bacot

My exposure to Bacot on day one was limited. I saw bits and pieces of his game, and from what I could tell he really played well within the team concept. He averaged eight points in the first two games, and was really efficient with his shots, shooting over 60-percent from the floor. Really played within himself.

He’s drawn quite a bit of attention here at the camp so far from onlookers hoping to get a glimpse of what makes him one of the more coveted prospects in his class.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News