ADVERTISEMENT

Lively gone

Seems like a great young man. Go get it done, and take care of your family!!
I always wonder sometimes why an 18 year old is supposed to earn all the money? Are all these kids families unable to work? Can’t the kids get a college degree, play a little basketball, then get a real job. When some of them don’t make the Pro’s and millions of dollars, then what?

I always wonder sometimes why an 18 year old is supposed to earn all the money? Are all these kids families unable to work? Can’t the kids get a college degree, play a little basketball, then get a real job. When some of them don’t make the Pro’s and millions of dollars, then what?
In most cases I agree but for Lively it's just him and his mom and she has been battling cancer. He wants to help her and I think it's a good decision for him. He will not improve his draft status by staying another year most likely

It's because they have a unique talent that can possibly get them and their family out of the poor situation they're in. If you took away the sport they are gifted at, in many cases, they would continue to live in poverty, or near it.

Lively and Whitehead almost have to go. If you are solidly in the first round you ought to go. I just don't like when guys leave to take a chance in the second round or go undrafted. That's why I think Flip could leave. But Flip has fallen to the 30's in some mock drafts, so he could go either way. Flip also turns 20 in November, which could be a factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: kingbluedevil
Lively and Whitehead almost have to go. If you are solidly in the first round you ought to go. I just don't like when guys leave to take a chance in the second round or go undrafted. That's why I think Flip could leave. But Flip has fallen to the 30's in some mock drafts, so he could go either way. Flip also turns 20 in November, which could be a factor.
He’s not going anywhere chris.

The Virginia kid might be a better fit if Flip returns, as he does things that Lively does, if not at that level. He is a good rebounder and defender. But I wouldnt complain about Flip and Holmes. Holmes has a lot of suitors. and may enter the draft. If Shedrick wants to come here I say take him.

Last edited:
He’s a legit 7’1, runs well, and is stronger than lively. I’m not saying he’s the immediate answer, but I think he could do as much as Shedrick can next year.
Disagree. Maybe as a JR or SR, Reeves starts scoring double figures. Not sure why anyone thinks Reeves is going to take some massive leap from doing absolutely nothing this year to being the reincarnation of Mark Williams next year. Give me Shedrick, Holmes, or Dickinson at Center with Flip returning and we’ve got the horses to beat UCONN in the tournament. I don’t see Young leaving no matter what. If Reeves wants to leave because he doesn’t get 20 minutes a game then so be it.

He would normally be a 3* incoming Freshman if he didn’t reclassify. Nothing would be expected of him this year. Reeves didn’t have one block during his play his entire Freshman year.

I dont think Reeves will make a giant leap this year. However, if anyone is excited about a combo of Young and Shedrick, I'll disagree with them until I'm blue in the face. Much rather Holmes (or even Hunter) but I'd rather completely pass on Shedrick and focus on someone else. Whether that's in the portal, or the development of Reeves, I really hope Shedrick isn't the staffs plan.

Again, getting Flip back is priority #1 as I think him staying REALLY attracts a quality 5

Disagree. Maybe as a JR or SR, Reeves starts scoring double figures. Not sure why anyone thinks Reeves is going to take some massive leap from doing absolutely nothing this year to being the reincarnation of Mark Williams next year. Give me Shedrick, Holmes, or Dickinson at Center with Flip returning and we’ve got the horses to beat UCONN in the tournament. I don’t see Young leaving no matter what. If Reeves wants to leave because he doesn’t get 20 minutes a game then so be it.

He would normally be a 3* incoming Freshman if he didn’t reclassify. Nothing would be expected of him this year. Reeves didn’t have one block during his play his entire Freshman year.
Who said he’s a reincarnation of Williams, or scoring double digits? I’m glad Lively scored double figure averages though……wait a sec….

Also we are now judging on blocks? If so, Young had a whopping 17 total the entire season lol. I’m not trying to tear your post apart but man you’re got some interesting, inconsistent rationale for your stance.

Last edited:
I dont think Reeves will make a giant leap this year. However, if anyone is excited about a combo of Young and Shedrick, I'll disagree with them until I'm blue in the face. Much rather Holmes (or even Hunter) but I'd rather completely pass on Shedrick and focus on someone else. Whether that's in the portal, or the development of Reeves, I really hope Shedrick isn't the staffs plan.

Again, getting Flip back is priority #1 as I think him staying REALLY attracts a quality 5
Don’t think anything happens with Shedrick.

If Flip comes back we will be very good 1-4 so we just need a guy who will defend and rebound and score a bit at the 5. I'd be happy with Young and Shedrick if Flip returns. If they want to aim higher that is great, but there is no guarantee we get a Hunter/Holmes quality 5.

Reactions: gstarr and Mac9192
Latest USA Today mock draft has Flip at 19. Ahead of Lively and Whitehead.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that Duke currently has 13 scholarships accounted for so no one can be brought in until and unless there is roster attrition, either through the draft or the transfer portal.

Reactions: christophero
If Roach and Flip come back, and we get a portal center, we could be looking at a 99 type team. My guess is we get one back. Roach and Flip would be 4 starters back; which would be incredible.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Roach has a tough choice to make between being the starter on a possible national championship team and making NIL and sitting on the bench in the G league.

He didn't play any valuable minutes as a freshman. Here's the real question! Can he, Reeves as a sophomore, put up the same numbers or better, as Lively if you gave him the same minutes???

Let's call out the elephant in the room!

Reactions: Fourteen44

Give Reeves Lively minutes...

Reactions: Fourteen44
I don't mean to be unkind here, but Roach is not remotely draftable by the NBA. Surely he knows this. I have never seen him on any mock 2nd round drafts.

I don't mean to be unkind here, but Roach is not remotely draftable by the NBA. Surely he knows this. I have never seen him on any mock 2nd round drafts.
That’s why he is expected to return. He could spend time in the G League or overseas, but I think the exposure & NIL money at Duke will be too much to pass up on.

Lively drafted 12th. Good for him. Cam Whitmore still around at 12 due to injury concerns.

Whitehead at 22; glad he didn't slide to the second. Was good to see Jaquez go top 20; score one for the super seniors. Oscar and Timme go undrafted. Only 2 ACC players in the first round; both Duke guys. Wong went in the later second round. Emoni Bates at 49.

Last edited:
Looking at last night's draft, I'm glad Roach stayed. However, I believe many of those who will have a long career in the ASSOCIATION weren't drafted in the 1st round.

Rumor is we are going to Rupp this year in the new ACC/SEC challenge.

I hope so- that roster looks bad

I’m happy for Lively - he needed to go given his moms health. He’s a good kid.

That said, I don’t see him lasting long in the league, maybe 3 years. That could change if he develops a decent jump shot but not sure that’ll happen. Hope I’m wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT