ADVERTISEMENT

Jared McCain to Duke

Welcome young man to the brotherhood!

Had a buddy say Wendell hurt his hip and may not playSunday? Anyone hear this? I haven't.

Great to hear!

Can he be an early entry for 2021-22 and join the team today? ;)

we could use a good shooter.

Really good to see Jon and Co. recruiting a shooting guard who can, you know, actually shoot. The one weakness Duke has had for several seasons now.

Don't know much about him but can he legitimately shoot? Not trying to be a smart ass but we thought Baker was a good shooter as well?

Interesting choice of time to announce his decision, right before our game. That tells me he was ready to announce and didn't need the attention that some of these kids want.

Had a buddy say Wendell hurt his hip and may not playSunday? Anyone hear this? I haven't.
Coach K did say something about Wendell getting hurt when he slipped twice in consecutive plays. But, I would think that Wendell will give it a go. He does have a day in between games.

Baker’s shooting about 40% from 3. That’s good.
Baker hasn’t hit a shot since before the UNC game at Cameron. On a funnier note, thought it was hilarious that good old Alex OcConnell choked in the last 5 minutes of the Kansas game. That’s the OcConnell we all came to know.

Reactions: youngman42
Baker hasn’t hit a shot since before the UNC game at Cameron. On a funnier note, thought it was hilarious that good old Alex OcConnell choked in the last 5 minutes of the Kansas game. That’s the OcConnell we all came to know.
Baker hit a shot in the CS Fullerton first round game.

Reactions: sheyduke
Duke will need some help from their bench .

A 3, IIRC. You gotta be in the game to even attempt a shot.

Not that it matter at all, but Baker missed on a 3 but did hit a short jumper or possibly a layup. But he has looked bad the past few weeks, not good defensively either.

Reactions: youngman42
Not that it matter at all, but Baker missed on a 3 but did hit a short jumper or possibly a layup. But he has looked bad the past few weeks, not good defensively either.
No worse then Keels looked on Friday .

Baker’s 3 was about as significant as a shoot around 3. Of course he can make one.

Meaningless 3s are way different than when they matter in a tournament game. Those he can’t hit with any consistency.

Reactions: christophero
Not to turn this into a pile on Baker thread but I agree. Remember how amazing Baker looked in the scrimmages. Hitting from all over the court. I still hope he comes back, but he does not seem to thrive in pressure situations. Great kid and teammate though. He's not a 3 star or a walk on; this kid was a big time recruit. I give him credit for staying; but coach K does not seem to have a lot of faith in him right now.

Last edited:
Baker’s 3 was about as significant as a shoot around 3. Of course he can make one.

Meaningless 3s are way different than when they matter in a tournament game. Those he can’t hit with any consistency.
At the time it was made it gave Duke a 19 point lead and the cover.... That dunk at the end by the Fullerton kid was a terrible back door cover. Other than that, he has to be shooting low 30% when it really counts.

Taylor King was like that. When we were up 20 he was on fire; but when the game got tight so did he.

Reactions: Quavarius

No one said it was meaningful. But he corrected someone saying that, no, he did not make a 3. He did. That's all. I am not coming to the defense of Baker by saying he hit a shot.

No worse then Keels looked on Friday .
I disagree. Keels always gives great effort on defense whereas Baker looks lost on both defense and offense. All he does on offense is sit in a corner hoping the other guys can create an option to get him a 3 point shot. Think K sent Baker and Keels a massive signal in the 1st half of the MSU game. Either play solid defense or I’m giving your minutes to Bates Jones. Keels got the message and played really well the 2nd half (especially on defense).

Reactions: Quavarius
I disagree. Keels always gives great effort on defense whereas Baker looks lost on both defense and offense. All he does on offense is sit in a corner hoping the other guys can create an option to get him a 3 point shot. Think K sent Baker and Keels a massive signal in the 1st half of the MSU game. Either play solid defense or I’m giving your minutes to Bates Jones. Keels got the message and played really well the 2nd half (especially on defense).
Funny you said this....Shaheen Holloway was on the Dan Dakich show today and he said that he told his players that he won't take them out for messing up on offense but will take out for messing up on defense

Reactions: df64
At the time it was made it gave Duke a 19 point lead and the cover.... That dunk at the end by the Fullerton kid was a terrible back door cover. Other than that, he has to be shooting low 30% when it really counts.
It would have been a cover if the refs didn't make a pure BS foul call on Baker...

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
McCain reading this thread. 10 congrats, followed by 50 Baker can't play defense posts.
I’m pumped about getting a SG like McCain. We’ve had a bunch of bigger SGs recently. Would like to have the speed and quickness at that position that McCain can provide.

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT