ADVERTISEMENT

Impact on 2020-21 Roster

Sounds like we’re jealous that kids over at chapel hole stay longer than ours do. Who gives a sh%*!
Boy how the roles have reversed. This is 1986-98 with the fan bases talking a different tune. I used to hear a lot of hole fans bragging about all their nba talent. My response then? How many titles have you won with all that talent.

Henson has made himself quite the living at the next level. Plus, when he was at UNC, despite it only being eight years ago, things were a lot different in college basketball than they are now.

John, if you look at top 10 recruits based off rsci rankings since the 2006 class and Roy keeps these kids much longer than K. Until Bradley and last year with Nassir and Coby, Roy has kept top 10 kids in college more so than any college coach in the nation.If Bacot was at Duke and had 11 double doubles, he wouldn't be at Duke next year.

Sounds like we’re jealous that kids over at chapel hole stay longer than ours do. Who gives a sh%*!
Boy how the roles have reversed. This is 1986-98 with the fan bases talking a different tune. I used to hear a lot of hole fans bragging about all their nba talent. My response then? How many titles have you won with all that talent.

Yeah, but it's the fact Roy is doing less with more and has competitive teams when top talent stays for 3 years. I mean, imagine if K was able to keep kids in school 3 or 4 years the way college basketball is now.

I know every recruiting service isn't created equal, but on Rivals alone, UNC didn't have a top 10 recruit from 2012 to 2017. That's six recruiting cycles....so I don't know where you're getting the top 10 thing from. Now, Justin Jackson was #11 and you could argue was maybe under ranked some, but UNC wasn't piling up top 10 kids. Where they feasted were the late teens, 20s and lower with guys like Marcus Paige, Isaiah Hicks, Theo Pinson, Joel Berry, Tony Bradley and Kennedy Meeks. Of those listed, only Hicks and Pinson were even in the teens.

The last three years their recruiting has spiked a bit and higher ranked guys are coming in....we saw Coby White and Nassir Little leave after one season and we know Cole Anthony will leave this year. It's still not certain whether Bacot will return or not. As for Garrison Brooks, he was ranked outside the top 100.

Maybe I'll ask this question....over the last eight recruiting cycles, who do you think should have or could have left earlier other than Justin Jackson? As far as I know, none of 2012 to 2017 guys I listed are currently on active NBA rosters.

Reactions: timo0402
I know every recruiting service isn't created equal, but on Rivals alone, UNC didn't have a top 10 recruit from 2012 to 2017. That's six recruiting cycles....so I don't know where you're getting the top 10 thing from. Now, Justin Jackson was #11 and you could argue was maybe under ranked some, but UNC wasn't piling up top 10 kids. Where they feasted were the late teens, 20s and lower with guys like Marcus Paige, Isaiah Hicks, Theo Pinson, Joel Berry, Tony Bradley and Kennedy Meeks. Of those listed, only Hicks and Pinson were even in the teens.

The last three years their recruiting has spiked a bit and higher ranked guys are coming in....we saw Coby White and Nassir Little leave after one season and we know Cole Anthony will leave this year. It's still not certain whether Bacot will return or not. As for Garrison Brooks, he was ranked outside the top 100.

Maybe I'll ask this question....over the last eight recruiting cycles, who do you think should have or could have left earlier other than Justin Jackson? As far as I know, none of 2012 to 2017 guys I listed are currently on active NBA rosters.
I know this was slightly more than 8 years ago, and times were different than, but it's insane to think that Roy was able to keep Harrison Barnes around for more than 1 year when you consider how massive of a recruit he was at the time.

I know this was slightly more than 8 years ago, and times were different than, but it's insane to think that Roy was able to keep Harrison Barnes around for more than 1 year when you consider how massive of a recruit he was at the time.

Well, if you remember, a couple variables played into that....

1) Barnes had a bit of a slow start, but then turned it on, and 2) the pending NBA lockout played a role.

Plus, Barnes was a little different in that he made it known he wasn't committed to being one-and-done. As much as the guy makes my stomach turn now, he had Duke written all over him (IMO) throughout the recruiting process. He reminded me a lot of Shane as a 16- and 17-year-old.

Think that had more to do with 1. He wasn’t going to be the first pick and 1a. There was a lockout.

Henson's lasted eight years in the NBA. That's more than either Kyle Singler or Nolan Smith. That's worthy of some respect, at least from where I sit, which is on my couch binge-watching The Expanse.

Lol, I don't disagree. But Henson was a 5 star prospect that was the 5th ranked player in his class. He had the skills to make it to the league and spend several years there.

One n done has changed over the past 5-8 seasons. Example, now more kids ranked around 25 are going pro and even ones not guaranteed to be 1st round (guys like Gary Trent). However top 5 kids have almost always gone pro after one year in college since “one n done” has been a thing.

Reactions: jamsession3
One n done has changed over the past 5-8 seasons. Example, now more kids ranked around 25 are going pro and even ones not guaranteed to be 1st round (guys like Gary Trent). However top 5 kids have almost always gone pro after one year in college since “one n done” has been a thing.

One and Done does not work if you pick a school that won't showcase your talent. This happens too. Unfortunately, these kids will go to the draft and possibly get stuck in the G - League or spend a couple more years in college. It's just a harsh reality.

The transfer rule is starting to be more influential than the one and done. Supplementing rosters with experienced and proven college players vs straight out of HS "media rated" prospects is shaping CBB - Baylor is a good example this year, Ttech last year....if the NCAA goes ahead with the removal of the need to sit out a year then its going to be chaos during and after the season. The unpredictability of their roster for coaches from season to season will be crazy.

Interesting concept related to transfers and their impact. Recent sentiment has been "student athlete " centered. Dont make them sit out.
Athlete, sure, immediate eligibility, all about balling.
Student, how is 1 more year of free college a bad thing? Ever?
NCAA/Colleges, sit out a year. Stability, continuity, fans, all want less guys transferring out of their school and transfers in being more productive, more invested.

And had no business being at UNC for 3 seasons.

Maybe, maybe not. Times change....even though we're talking about just a decade ago. If Henson showed up at UNC today his probable intent would be one, maybe two years.

The reason guys have stuck around at UNC longer in the last six or seven years has been because their recruiting drastically slipped. The last three years it's spiked again....thus, why two went early last year, why two could go early again, and why the same issue could happen next spring.

The Kyrie/Rivers starting backcourt.
We’re probably winning the title that year with 0 assists on 1247 made field goals.

haha no doubt Duke would of had the best/deepest backcourt in the country had Kyrie returned for his Sophomore season between him, Rivers, Curry, Dawkins, and Thornton.

Reactions: jwill133
First guess at captains...JGold/Joey/Wendell?

If you guys could have one or the other back who you talking....CASH or HURT?!
I really like Cash and think he is better than Hurt at this point in their careers.. but having a Stretch-4 like Hurt is something you can’t turn down in today’s game.. I would take Hurt.

I hate these kind of posts. Getting people’s hopes up.
Let me just say that I’ve never seen someone pull one of these cryptic posts and then leave. I’m not saying Cassius is staying but usually when they do this they tend to say. It’s also very possible that he’s just bored lol

If I had to choose, Hurt might be more important than Stanley due to need. We are thinner in the frontcourt than the backcourt and our best forwards ( Moore, Johnson) are not great shooters. If Moore and Johnson erre better shooters, I would go with Staley for D, scoring, transition, and being able to put a team out there that could overwhelm with athleticism.

The government only approves Instagram posts that are accurate to within 95%. Just sayin.

Well, if you remember, a couple variables played into that....

1) Barnes had a bit of a slow start, but then turned it on, and 2) the pending NBA lockout played a role.

Plus, Barnes was a little different in that he made it known he wasn't committed to being one-and-done. As much as the guy makes my stomach turn now, he had Duke written all over him (IMO) throughout the recruiting process. He reminded me a lot of Shane as a 16- and 17-year-old.

I'm sorry. barnes is solid but he is in the top 5 of my most dispised cheater player list. Maybe it's because of the way he announed his commitment. I just thought he could have done it better like calling Coach K before he skyped it. Plus I was in a room full of tar heel fans at the time. I'm sure he had went to Duke I would have liked him. OFC

Cassius's Instagram post is very similar to Tre's last year when he said he was coming back.
I'm not gonna get my hopes up just yet on either Cash or Vernon returning, but this is encouraging. Neither was a lottery pick and with the NBA Season/Draft in flux and a total question mark, maybe the safest play is to come back for 1 more year and play into a possible lottery pick??

The staff taking Tape tells me they know Vernon is gone, but Cassius?? MAN that would be awesome.

I don't see any way Vern stays. He's the best player in the college game already.

I would be shocked if Cassius stays also.

The only way I see those 2 staying is if the current public health emergency somehow impacts the draft.

I don't expect Hurt back either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT