ADVERTISEMENT

If you could give the pre game speech for Thursday nights game what would you say.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
Here's mine off the cuff.

There's 20,000 plus unc fans out there who are hoping we lose tonight. They think they all are better than you. They think they are privileged and entitled simply because they are unc fans. They look down on you simply because you chose Duke University to play basketball. Their coach recruited most of you but when you turned them down they said that none of you were unc type players and they really didn't want you. They are correct in saying you are not unc type players but they wanted you. Most of you have never played here. A few of you have and they are going to be unmerciful in the things they are going to yell at you. A lot of them are ram's club members and you can recognize them with their little old wussy blue haired wive's sitting beside them that don't know squat about basketball other than they think they are better than you and your fans. They won't say it but they think they are going to beat us tonight and that's fine. They have lost some games down here but never will admit that were beat without the help of officiating. That's just the way they are. Their fans despise you just because you play for Duke. They have compared your coach to Satan, Hitler among other horrid things. They don't despise him, they hate him. When we come down here 20,000 plus people can get loud even the whine and cheese crowd will get involved. The best way to stop that is to start strong from the opening tap to the final buzzer never letting up. If you do that half of them will leave by half time. In 2012 we came down here as under dogs. The game was close and the crowd was loud. going into the final seconds when we had a freshman just like many of you are. You know the rest of the story as Austin Rivers hit a 3 pointer at the buzzer. The crowd became so quiet you could hear a pin drop. heel fans were crying as Duke players celebrated. I want you guys to experience that moment. I want you guys to experience that all night. I want you guys to experience the sound of silence.OFC

In a perfect scenario my speech would be: Guys see #3 here, Grayson. Stand up Grayson. Guys, I expect him to get a lot of good touches tonight. I want screens set for him. If you don't, your a** will come to the bench and someone will go in that will help free him up some. Grayson, shoot the f%#*+^• ball son. Wendell and Bagley are options 2/3. Grayson is gonna lead us in delivering an a** beating the Holes haven't had in years.
Rebound the da#% ball!!! Help out on defense. Play your a**e* off our someone else will!!!!! I want to beat them into submission. With 5 minutes to go in the game, I expect to see sweater vests exiting this sh%^ hole. Do you fu^*%#* understand what I'm saying?!
Let us pray.

In a perfect scenario my speech would be: Guys see #3 here, Grayson. Stand up Grayson. Guys, I expect him to get a lot of good touches tonight. I want screens set for him. If you don't, your a** will come to the bench and someone will go in that will help free him up some. Grayson, shoot the f%#*+^• ball son. Wendell and Bagley are options 2/3. Grayson is gonna lead us in delivering an a** beating the Holes haven't had in years.
Rebound the da#% ball!!! Help out on defense. Play your a**e* off our someone else will!!!!! I want to beat them into submission. With 5 minutes to go in the game, I expect to see sweater vests exiting this sh%^ hole. Do you fu^*%#* understand what I'm saying?!
Let us pray.
Helluva pregame speech Mac, I'm ready to run through a wall for you!

Reactions: skysdad and Mac9192
If we win, we’re going to Bojangles!

sum.gif

Probably something from the Rocky movies, cause Duke basketball reminds me a lot of Rocky. This team is more like the diva Rocky that was training at the hotel before Clubber Lang and wasn't taking his opponent seriously and thought he could showboat his way through fights, and got destroyed. They need to get back to some old school ways of fighting and training.

Reactions: pisgah101
Here's mine off the cuff.

There's 20,000 plus unc fans out there who are hoping we lose tonight. They think they all are better than you. They think they are privileged and entitled simply because they are unc fans. They look down on you simply because you chose Duke University to play basketball. Their coach recruited most of you but when you turned them down they said that none of you were unc type players and they really didn't want you. They are correct in saying you are not unc type players but they wanted you. Most of you have never played here. A few of you have and they are going to be unmerciful in the things they are going to yell at you. A lot of them are ram's club members and you can recognize them with their little old wussy blue haired wive's sitting beside them that don't know squat about basketball other than they think they are better than you and your fans. They won't say it but they think they are going to beat us tonight and that's fine. They have lost some games down here but never will admit that were beat without the help of officiating. That's just the way they are. Their fans despise you just because you play for Duke. They have compared your coach to Satan, Hitler among other horrid things. They don't despise him, they hate him. When we come down here 20,000 plus people can get loud even the whine and cheese crowd will get involved. The best way to stop that is to start strong from the opening tap to the final buzzer never letting up. If you do that half of them will leave by half time. In 2012 we came down here as under dogs. The game was close and the crowd was loud. going into the final seconds when we had a freshman just like many of you are. You know the rest of the story as Austin Rivers hit a 3 pointer at the buzzer. The crowd became so quiet you could hear a pin drop. heel fans were crying as Duke players celebrated. I want you guys to experience that moment. I want you guys to experience that all night. I want you guys to experience the sound of silence.OFC
This game doesn’t matter. Let them win.

I would say this and don't hammer me for it as it is my opinion only

"Grayson and Duval you are coming off the bench and Jordan and Alex you are starting"

"Marvin and Wendell if you shoot a 3 you are coming out the next dead ball"

"Go to hell Carolina....let's go kick their asses"

Then I walk out of locker room

"Grayson and Duval you are coming off the bench and Jordan and Alex you are starting"

Even though I agree about the three point bricks I'm not sure this speech pumps the team up

The only part you have right is the Go to Hell Carolina line.
Sit Grayson down? The only guy who plays with heart the whole time? The only guy who takes charges? Sure he's not playing his best, but maybe our studs should set a SCREEN for him, and look for him like he looks for them.
If Grayson coming off the bench is your answer to our problems, I don't want to know what the question was.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Even though it's on the road I would use the one from Rudy where he says:

"Nobody, and I mean nobody, comes into our house and pushes us around."

We own that place anyway.

What could it really hurt to bring Grayson off the bench?

And yea let Wendell be out shooting guard since his percentage is so good....sheesh

No I don't want either of them shooting 3s in sorry...I want them dominating down low

What could it really hurt to bring Grayson off the bench?

What does it help? That's the better question. Grayson is our lone senior and captain. He's historically played some of his best games against North Carolina the last two years. But you want to bring him off the bench in Chapel Hill and start one of Alex or Jordan is his place? I love those two kids, but they've looked overwhelmed against lesser opponents on the road, that I hardly doubt that would be the best for the team or either of them.

People tend to get too cute. Earlier in the year it was Gary who should sit. Now we hear it's Grayson or Duval. None of those takes made sense a month ago or do today. Our five best players are pretty plain to see. Sure, they've all had their struggles at times, but they're also the engines.

Reactions: skysdad
Wofford won here, are you going to let them out do you? I would mainly say that just because it sounds good not really motivational but it has a good ring. “Wofford won here guys”!!!! Still love it

Reactions: hart2chesson
They asked a question and I answered it...you don't agree with what I said and that's fine.everyone has their own opinion...no harm no foul

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT