ADVERTISEMENT

Good Season Guys - Honest thoughts on K and Brooks

Mar 26, 2016
Curious to know what your honest thoughts are on this whole situation. Was K pissed that the kid took the shot? The clock was running out - what was he supposed to do? Or was it the fist-pump and scream afterwards? That's more understandable I think.

Dunno why K denied the talk when it's been proven with audio but what he said really wasn't bad - just kinda weird that he would take that into his own hands instead of talking to the coach or letting him discipline his kids.

Jason McCollum (@jmacsc on twitter) - If you scroll down a bit, he starts posting tweets of where BI has taken 3's with under a minute left and huge leads.

BI is going to be a freaking monster at the next level though! Dude can shoot and is sooo lanky! Wish my Atlanta Hawks had the first or second pick..

I think it is almost hilarious how big a deal this is being made out to be. Should a head coach really even have to share comments made in a handshake line? Something personal between he and a player? I mean, don't you think he was right? Duke had stopped playing, respectfully showing Oregon had won and the kid was out there showboating, nothing wrong with how K approached him with that and nothing wrong with K trying to keep that private. I see a lot of unc fans running around like little kids saying K was caught in a lie. Are you fuking kidding me right now? Unc calling K a liar over that lil incident and you crowd have been one big lie for the past 20 years? I don't know how you pitiful bastards sleep at night. Seriously. I think K and his old fashioned ways are wonderful . I think the blown up BS is being cultivated by various writers from other Institutions who are jealous over Dukes history. And I think this whole Duke is villain crap is gonna get dumped in your lap real heavy next season, K is gonna crush the ACC with this class. Hold on to your ass.

Interesting - kinda what I expected honestly. But hey, who isn't going to stick up for their coach?

Don't agree with everything you said but I do agree that it was meant to stay private until Books brought it to light. Not a huge fan of K lecturing another player other than his own but I do understand the annoyance of that fist pump etc..

From an unbiased college basketball fan, I do find fan-bases calling for any team's head kind of ignorant. Calipari is the grimiest of them all and we haven't heard of any wrong-doing at UK..kids on my Division II golf team were cheating in class LMAO!

So he lectured him? You mean in that all of 4 seconds they came face to face? LOL.K was not disrespectful to him nor gave him bad advice. You believe to much of what you read man.

Reactions: Dad2ze
The new catch phrase is K is a sore loser, another BS line. I've followed him for many, many years. I've seen him go into the opponents locker room after they had beaten Duke and congratulated them and motivated them, seen him be there for other coaches in time of need, even Dean and Roy. I've seen him gracious in defeat commending opposing coaches. Kinda lame calling a guy out for doing what he's always done....the right thing.

I knew what K was gonna say to that young fella before he said it. K likes teaching moments. He grasps them. And I'm almost certain, he could care less what cbs or espn thinks about that. Much less you or I.

There are certainly some unknowns when it comes to conversation K had with Brooks. I mean, we know UNC fans and people who don't like Duke will draw their own conclusions and paint K in a bad light. That's been happening for years.

I didn't have an issue with the shot being taken. To be honest, I'm not sure that's what K's talk with Brooks was about. He was talking a lot the entire game. K telling him he was a great player and being better than that doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Like it or not, and people who dislike Duke hate knowing this, but K is well respected in coaching circles and by the biggest names in basketball. Is it his place to say something to Brooks in that situation? Probably not. But guess what? He did it. It's not like the people hating on K right now didn't hate him already.

In all honesty, I'm shocked more isn't being made of Grayson not being excited to be bear-hugged by Brooks. Obviously UNC fans think it's a story, but for the most part that can be expected. When it comes to rationalization they're probably not the best source.

Interesting that it is the OP's 1st & 2nd post, or is it..........................

Why does this always get pointed out? I've never posted on here..so what? I'm not attacking Duke or K - just wanted your guy's opinion since everyone else is on the other side.

I think the main theme coming from all other camps is that Coach K doesn't need to talk to other players about anything - that's their coach's job. Coach your own players and handle your own problems (i.e. the tripping that everyone has been talking about all year and the lack of hug/handshakes whatever from Grayson).

I swear that I meant absolutely no dig and I don't know how I morphed into a UNC fan all of a sudden. But yeah, huge story when it's such a small incident. But then again Duke and Lebron are about all that ESPN covers so of course it's going to be a huge story since Duke is no longer playing.

ESPN making this a big deal - any other coach or program and its not even news. Like all the Allen coverage. Brooks should be glad that the greatest coach in basketball cared enough to pass on some advice to him- K knows a little about leadership. As for a sore loser...just watch his press conferences. His grace when winning or losing is what made me a Duke fan 25 years ago knowing nothing about College basketball when I arrived in the States. He continues to exhibit class and grace win or lose every year no matter what.

There are certainly some unknowns when it comes to conversation K had with Brooks. I mean, we know UNC fans and people who don't like Duke will draw their own conclusions and paint K in a bad light. That's been happening for years.

I didn't have an issue with the shot being taken. To be honest, I'm not sure that's what K's talk with Brooks was about. He was talking a lot the entire game. K telling him he was a great player and being better than that doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Like it or not, and people who dislike Duke hate knowing this, but K is well respected in coaching circles and by the biggest names in basketball. Is it his place to say something to Brooks in that situation? Probably not. But guess what? He did it. It's not like the people hating on K right now didn't hate him already.

In all honesty, I'm shocked more isn't being made of Grayson not being excited to be bear-hugged by Brooks. Obviously UNC fans think it's a story, but for the most part that can be expected. When it comes to rationalization they're probably not the best source.

No disrespect but if you think it's only UNC fans - you're clueless. Everyone except for Duke fans and Coach K's disciples know that he was wrong. It's just the level of "wrongness" that is up for debate. And then to lie about it for what reason? Brooks already put it out there - you might as well just say yeah, no biggie but I thought it was wrong on his part.

ESPN making this a big deal - any other coach or program and its not even news. Like all the Allen coverage. Brooks should be glad that the greatest coach in basketball cared enough to pass on some advice to him- K knows a little about leadership. As for a sore loser...just watch his press conferences. His grace when winning or losing is what made me a Duke fan 25 years ago knowing nothing about College basketball when I arrived in the States. He continues to exhibit class and grace win or lose every year no matter what.

Agree to disagree but regardless - good year! Not much depth but they made it work. Like I said, BI is going to be a stud.

P.S. - Don't be upset with ESPN...Duke/K is their media darling...only second to Princess James.

Reactions: trig81
No disrespect but if you think it's only UNC fans - you're clueless. Everyone except for Duke fans and Coach K's disciples know that he was wrong. It's just the level of "wrongness" that is up for debate. And then to lie about it for what reason? Brooks already put it out there - you might as well just say yeah, no biggie but I thought it was wrong on his part.
So you went from asking questions to now saying he was wrong. Ok. People act like he called him a jackass or something. Do I think he should have said something? Probably not, but good lord it isn't a big deal.

So you went from asking questions to now saying he was wrong. Ok. People act like he called him a jackass or something. Do I think he should have said something? Probably not, but good lord it isn't a big deal.

I asked a question because I wanted to know what the Dukie fan base thought. I have my own opinion which is that Coach K was wrong. Huge deal..not really. Wrong...absolutely. If I was Oregon's coach would I want to pimp slap K...probably.

I'll leave you guys alone though, no big deal. I know that it's hard to be rational when your team just got knocked out. It's pretty obvious that no one on their own board will ever agree with anything wrong about their team/coach regardless of what happens. It's been that way with the tripping and now this. It's kind of like UK fans throwing stones when their coach is Calipari..

I asked a question because I wanted to know what the Dukie fan base thought. I have my own opinion which is that Coach K was wrong. Huge deal..not really. Wrong...absolutely. If I was Oregon's coach would I want to pimp slap K...probably.

I'll leave you guys alone though, no big deal. I know that it's hard to be rational when your team just got knocked out. It's pretty obvious that no one on their own board will ever agree with anything wrong about their team/coach regardless of what happens. It's been that way with the tripping and now this. It's kind of like UK fans throwing stones when their coach is Calipari..
Honest question. If The roles were reversed and Allen had shot that three, how would you have felt about it? If Altman then "scolded" Allen in the handshake line would you have cared? One more, when Allen got elbowed in the mouth against Louisville did you care or did you think he deserved it? Just curious on your honest thoughts.

Uh oh, someone has never coached or played at a competitive level.

My honest feelings. I don't think K should have said something to Brooks. If that makes him wrong, ok he was wrong. I also don't think he was disrespectful in the way he did it.

Honest question. If The roles were reversed and Allen had shot that three, how would you have felt about it? If Altman then "scolded" Allen in the handshake line would you have cared? One more, when Allen got elbowed in the mouth against Louisville did you care or did you think he deserved it? Just curious on your honest thoughts.

He/she didn't care when Grayson was slapped in the head right before Grayson tripped the same fsu player....

1) Read my post again.
2) Your tone changed a lot from your first post. Most knew what you were up to but we played along.
3) You came here with an agenda. You chose not to have the conversation.
4) Please depart.

I think it is almost hilarious how big a deal this is being made out to be. Should a head coach really even have to share comments made in a handshake line? Something personal between he and a player? I mean, don't you think he was right? Duke had stopped playing, respectfully showing Oregon had won and the kid was out there showboating, nothing wrong with how K approached him with that and nothing wrong with K trying to keep that private. I see a lot of unc fans running around like little kids saying K was caught in a lie. Are you fuking kidding me right now? Unc calling K a liar over that lil incident and you crowd have been one big lie for the past 20 years? I don't know how you pitiful bastards sleep at night. Seriously. I think K and his old fashioned ways are wonderful . I think the blown up BS is being cultivated by various writers from other Institutions who are jealous over Dukes history. And I think this whole Duke is villain crap is gonna get dumped in your lap real heavy next season, K is gonna crush the ACC with this class. Hold on to your ass.
So, he lied then......why the diatribe?

Reactions: UNC '92
Haha. God people are so hungry to bring down the king. Call him what you will crybaby, it may make you feel a little more significant. Watch your step though, the liar King will be breathing fire again next season. Coming to an azz whipping near you.

Don't fret fellas, he's getting old, you'll only have to deal with him dominating the landscape another 4 or 5 years.

"I think the main theme coming from all other camps is that Coach K doesn't need to talk to other players about anything - that's their coach's job. Coach your own players and handle your own problems (i.e. the tripping that everyone has been talking about all year and the lack ofhug/handshakes whatever from Grayson)."

"But then again Duke and Lebron are about all that ESPN covers so of course it's going to be a huge story since Duke is no longer playing."

"P.S. - Don't be upset with ESPN...Duke/K is their media darling...only second to Princess James."

"No disrespect but if you think it's only UNC fans - you're clueless. Everyone except for Duke fans and Coach K's disciples know that he was wrong. It's just the level of "wrongness" that is up for debate. And then to lie about it for what reason? Brooks already put it out there - you might as well just say yeah, no biggie but I thought it was wrong on his part."

"If I was Oregon's coach would I want to pimp slap K...probably."

"I'll leave you guys alone though, no big deal. I know that it's hard to be rational when your team just got knocked out. It's pretty obvious that no one on their own board will ever agree with anything wrong about their team/coach regardless of what happens. It'sbeen that way with the tripping and now this."

These are a sample of your posts, Max. You're not looking for conversation.

For the past 2 two days, I've been reading all the articles on the 3 pointer and everyones thoughts on it. Everyone seems to think Brooks hit the 3 and then got lectured from K. Well.....

It looked to me like Brooks hit the 3, turned toward Duke's bench and saluted them (or did the whole 3 fingers to the head crap) in a very exaggerative and excited way. If that was what Brooks was actually doing, it would then make sense for him to apologize in the handshake line when K told him he was too good of a player to do that. Which is exactly what Brooks did. It's been said that the players were jawing back and forth all game. It's also been said that Brooks even said something to the Duke bench after nailing a 3 in the first half of the game. All that jawing is part of the game, I get it. But if he did mean to salute the Duke bench after nailing a 30 ft 3 with seconds left in a decided game, then I absolutely agree with K saying something to him. "Beating my team is fine, but showing them up is not." I honestly believe that if Brooks made the 3 and simply celebrated with his teammates, I doubt K would have said what he said.

With that said, I'm confused on why K denied it in the post game. My only thought is that if he was to explain his actions, he would have to explain Brooks' as well. I doubt he wanted to do that.

But anyway, just my opinion. Haven't seen any articles on Brooks motioning towards Duke's bench after the shot.

Reactions: Showenuff
Haha. God people are so hungry to bring down the king. Call him what you will crybaby, it may make you feel a little more significant. Watch your step though, the liar King will be breathing fire again next season. Coming to an azz whipping near you.
Is this the 'conversation' the mod referenced, because it seems like you're way more verbally abusive than any of my posts......and I for one am not interested in bringing down anyone, but you guys are unwilling to admit that he lied. It is what it is, why so combative about a FACT?

"I think the main theme coming from all other camps is that Coach K doesn't need to talk to other players about anything - that's their coach's job. Coach your own players and handle your own problems (i.e. the tripping that everyone has been talking about all year and the lack ofhug/handshakes whatever from Grayson)."

"But then again Duke and Lebron are about all that ESPN covers so of course it's going to be a huge story since Duke is no longer playing."

"P.S. - Don't be upset with ESPN...Duke/K is their media darling...only second to Princess James."

"No disrespect but if you think it's only UNC fans - you're clueless. Everyone except for Duke fans and Coach K's disciples know that he was wrong. It's just the level of "wrongness" that is up for debate. And then to lie about it for what reason? Brooks already put it out there - you might as well just say yeah, no biggie but I thought it was wrong on his part."

"If I was Oregon's coach would I want to pimp slap K...probably."

"I'll leave you guys alone though, no big deal. I know that it's hard to be rational when your team just got knocked out. It's pretty obvious that no one on their own board will ever agree with anything wrong about their team/coach regardless of what happens. It'sbeen that way with the tripping and now this."

These are a sample of your posts, Max. You're not looking for conversation.

Literally NOT ONE of those is a post I made....if you want ban me from a free board (lol) go ahead, but don't lie to everyone about the real reasons.....

Is this the 'conversation' the mod referenced, because it seems like you're way more verbally abusive than any of my posts......and I for one am not interested in bringing down anyone, but you guys are unwilling to admit that he lied. It is what it is, why so combative about a FACT?

That's what it is....yes. You nailed it. You're brilliant!

Reactions: dbav
Don't fret fellas, he's getting old, you'll only have to deal with him dominating the landscape another 4 or 5 years.

So? No one is arguing he's a great coach, stay on topic. The lie is what this thread is about. You can worship K in almost every other thread on this board. If you don't want to converse, do like the mod suggested and "go away dude."

So? No one is arguing he's a great coach, stay on topic. The lie is what this thread is about. You can worship K in almost every other thread on this board. If you don't want to converse, do like the mod suggested and "go away dude."

I admitted you're right. Will you leave now that everything is settled?

Hey Max, seriously. Do you think anyone at this board actually cares what your views of K are? Do you actually think we believe the reason you came here was to learn any new information? Lemme help . NO and NO.

Obviously OP cares about this more than we do. Nice attempt to jab us, but we don't care what you read on bleacher report. Btw, you can learn more about Coach K in one of his books or documentaries. He's a pretty unique man.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with the kid taking the shot, but saluting the Duke bench afterwards was a little much. Even then it's not really a big deal, imo. Reverse the situation, however, and if Duke had the game won with Grayson shooting the shot and saluting the Oregon bench then this would be story about how Grayson is a huge douche.

Lump me in with those that think K shouldn't have said anything to him. Is it the big deal people are making it out to be? Not even close - but K shouldn't have said anything, imo. Again, reverse it. If Tony Bennett or Rick Pitino had words with Grayson in the handshake line after tripping their players, we'd all probably say it wasn't their place but K's.

I think K's lying about it was more of him just brushing the question off as not important and not a big deal - because it isn't. But I don't think we can say "K was having a personal discussion" with him when they're on national TV, in front of the media table, surrounded by cameras and microphones.

I do wonder if K's comments had more to do with Brooks bear-hugging Grayson immediately after the win. People are saying Brooks was showing good sportsmanship, but it seemed a bit much to me. I mean, your team wins and you immediately bear hug the other teams player? And out of all people, Grayson? Meh, I dunno. Lastly, yeah Grayson didn't hug him but if you watch, you'll see Grayson pat his arm; so he didn't totally snub him.

Last edited:
Reactions: youngman42

Intelligent people of all kinds, regardless of their school, read these kinds of comments and facepalm. Can't you see that?

I really couldn't care less about what Coach K did or didn't say to Brooks. I mean K says all sorts of stuff on the sideline that would never be able to be heard on TV, but hey, this is still sports, right? It's not basket weaving as far as I know.

It's so obvious that the only reason this is an issue is because it's Duke and Coach K. If the nation wants to focus that much energy on hating us, be my guest, it's nothing new. If the nation is OK with being spoon fed the narrative from the sports media rather than thinking for themselves, go right ahead. I don't expect Duke haters to be rational.

The shot? Eh.... I would have a much bigger issue with it had it been a dunk. But he basically threw up a prayer and it happened to go in. Personally I don't care about the celebration, but have no problem with anyone who does, it was pretty silly.

K's comments? Wouldn't have been made into the deal it has been if it weren't for the amount of hate that people already have for him. (As if anyone has a REAL reason to hate him). Like said ITT above, how much could he really have said in the few seconds of face talk between the two?

I would like to add that starting a K bashing party through the media by telling the reporters what was said only because he knew what it would lead to is more disrespectful and unsportsmanlike than what they are portraying K out to be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT