ADVERTISEMENT

E.J Montgomery

Whats the status with this kid? Is he still a heavy Duke lean?
My "I have no idea other than what I read on twitter and message boards opinion"- He is waiting on what Bolden does. If Bolden goes pro, EJ is 100% coming to Duke. If Bolden returns, 50/50 Duke and somewhere else.

My "I have no idea other than what I read on twitter and message boards opinion"- He is waiting on what Bolden does. If Bolden goes pro, EJ is 100% coming to Duke. If Bolden returns, 50/50 Duke and somewhere else.
This is my feeling as well. I really want Bolden back. Nothing against EJ, but 5 freshman starters is a little scary. I suppose we could go with Javin and EJ off the bench.

What’s even more important to him is what PJ Washington and Jared Vanderbilt do in regards to going pro. If either or both stay, he’s coming to Duke no matter what Bolden does. If they both leave, he will likely go to Kentucky.

Reactions: christophero
Having Bolden and EJ would possibly put us at preseason number one again.

If I ignore the fact that I know nothing about this recruit or his choices, I would hope EJ is confident enough about his own game that Bolden would is a non-factor. Duke gets more attention than any other program and is a brand that can elevate your draft status. The only reason he'd be hesitant about Duke is PT is less of a guarantee, but if you can't get minutes over Bolden, it probably means you're not as good as you think you are. Don't be afraid to earn it, young man. I imagine it actually looks worse to scouts if you're a 35 minute per game guy putting up poor efficiency numbers.

Ask yourself this: would Trae Young's stock be higher had he played at Duke even though he'd have averaged way fewer points? The answer is yes if Trae plays within the system.

Good points, but I'm assuming today's kids want to start. If Bolden comes back and stays healthy I think he will be very solid.

Bolden showed flashes this year with his potential. He can be a very good college player his last two years if he wants to be.

A lot of so-called experts don't seem to think Montgomery is a one-and-done kid. It's possible he's another kid in the mold of Bolden who takes a few years to get his wings. I think he would be a nice addition to the current class.

Good points, but I'm assuming today's kids want to start. If Bolden comes back and stays healthy I think he will be very solid.
We wonder why some of these kids transfer. Well let's see, you have the kids that think they're one and done, and will play serious minutes. So why would a kid that thinks he can contribute, be gung ho to sit the bench for 2,3, maybe all 4 years of his college career?

I haven't watched him play a ton but couldn't he play the 4 at Duke with Bolden at the 5? I guess most people assume Zion plays the 4 but Zion can play the 3 too when one of RJ, Jones or Cam go out.

The ideal scenario would be for EJ to come and Bolden to stay. But if Bolden leaves, that's a big opportunity to earn serious minutes right away.

I haven't watched him play a ton but couldn't he play the 4 at Duke with Bolden at the 5? I guess most people assume Zion plays the 4 but Zion can play the 3 too when one of RJ, Jones or Cam go out.
I think EJ definitely could. He is more of a 4 than a 5 from what I’ve seen and definitely wouldn’t be a 5 in the NBA. He has a good enough post up game but also likes to face the basket and drive. Seems to be a pretty solid shot blocker as well.

I think people have been giving Bolden an unecessarily hard time. He’s shown great flashes this year of his ability to rebound, defend and hit the little jump hook. He doesn’t need to average 15ppg for next years team to be successful. 15rpg on the other hand would be great!

Is there a real possibility that Bolden leaves?? Can’t see him getting drafted. Would make no sense to transfer at this point since he’s the number 1 big at Duke.

Having said that, I assume EJ would get minutes at the 5 since there is PT available. Will Vrank get minutes next year?

Is there a real possibility that Bolden leaves?? Can’t see him getting drafted. Would make no sense to transfer at this point since he’s the number 1 big at Duke.

Having said that, I assume EJ would get minutes at the 5 since there is PT available. Will Vrank get minutes next year?
I wouldn’t count on Vrank getting any meaningful minutes.

Not sure we need EJ. He's a multiyear guy and the projected 2019 crew is stacked with big men to go along with maybe Marques and Javin. We will be fine next year with these tall wing players surrounding a Bolden. Not to mention Cam and RJ are pretty tall for their positions and both doesn't mind posting up periodically against smaller guys. Cam would do it moreso to set up other guys. RJ can legitimately score in the post against smaller defenders

If Bolden returns, Duke will have Bolden, Javin and Vrank as the only true bigs (and that's stretching it about Javin) then Zion, Jack and JRob as guys that can play the 4.

To be honest, Duke will have bodies as bigs but I just don't feel that quality depth is there and the overall quality isn't ACC good.

I'm hopeful for big leaps in development for both Javin and Jack. But I hate to think as it is now, the UNC bigs will pound Duke.

Sounds like to me and I may be wrong if he's waiting on what Bolden then he doesn't want to work for that starting position. If he wants to come to Duke then he doesn't care who's here and is willing to prove he belongs a stater. Just my opinion. OFC

I would like to have EJ but prefer to have a Junior Bolden for defensive reasons. I don’t see Bolden as a first round draft pick this year. Maybe late second round this year with the plethora of big men in this year’s draft. He may slide into the late first round of next year’s draft if he comes back.

Javin hasn’t progressed as much as I had hoped for over the past two years. He is not really a center or a small ball five. He can’t protect the rim on defense, fouls too much because doesn’t have the lateral quickness to guard faster more atheletic players.

I think Bolden will play well next year. I thought he showed a lot of improvement this year. I don't expect him to be a scoring machine, and we don't need him to be. I would like to still get EJ, especially if he is a multi hear kid. You never know when you are going to lose someone to injury

I would like to have EJ but prefer to have a Junior Bolden for defensive reasons. I don’t see Bolden as a first round draft pick this year. Maybe late second round this year with the plethora of big men in this year’s draft. He may slide into the late first round of next year’s draft if he comes back.

Javin hasn’t progressed as much as I had hoped for over the past two years. He is not really a center or a small ball five. He can’t protect the rim on defense, fouls too much because doesn’t have the lateral quickness to guard faster more atheletic players.
Not sure if we need this EJ kid. What would be ideal is for Bolden to be our junior center. Hope that happens, and he works hard this summer.
Delaurier should live in the gym. He should take hundreds of jump shots from 7-20 feet. This kid may be the most athletic player we've had in quite some time. He could, if he really dedicates himself, be that kid that we have that the other team has no answer for. I think he has as much potential as anyone that's played for Duke in years. I still wish he had redshirted his freshman season.

Same sentiment as most people here. I’m more than content with Bolden and Vrank. I thought EJ would be more of a backup to Zion anyway. Even if Bolden doesn’t come back, I still see him being a backup to Vrank. Would love to have the kid as long as his expectations are realistic.

Just curious, what makes everyone think EJ will be a multiple year college player? He is the no. 12 recruit in the country who seems to be quite skilled. We’ve certainly seen kids ranked much lower head to the NBA lately.

Just curious, what makes everyone think EJ will be a multiple year college player? He is the no. 12 recruit in the country who seems to be quite skilled. We’ve certainly seen kids ranked much lower head to the NBA lately.
Chase Jeter says hello. I have no idea if EJ will be a one and done. But I'm pretty sure he thinks he will be.

He can play the 4 but will he be happy coming off the bench? Hope he signs with Duke accepting the fact he will have to earn PT and is planning on playing for 2 years at Duke.

Lots of questions for EJ to answer prior to making an announcement

Where to go:
- Duke, Kentucky, UNC or Vandy

How do the coaches plan to use him
- Inside & out
- face up 4
- role
- potential for play time

How much does he feel like a priority/important
- is he part of something special
- is he the missing piece the team needs
- how much effort is he getting from the staff

Just lots going on.

Are we better getting EJ or letting the returning guys develop? I'm leaning towards the latter but truthfully haven't seen EJ play. I just like White and don't want to see him buried on the bench. We've been over this but if Bolden leaves then it becomes a need.

Lots of questions for EJ to answer prior to making an announcement

Where to go:
- Duke, Kentucky, UNC or Vandy

How do the coaches plan to use him
- Inside & out
- face up 4
- role
- potential for play time

How much does he feel like a priority/important
- is he part of something special
- is he the missing piece the team needs
- how much effort is he getting from the staff

Just lots going on.

If I really have one and done aspirations, I just go with whoever is going to play me the most. In the end it's just about showing off moves and being in a place that helps you train. Every top program has great trainers. Winning doesn't matter that much. Being featured doing what you do best against top competition is what's important. All the schools on his list offer that IMO, Vandy being somewhat of an outlier. Just go with the best brand. Duke.

We need points from our big men. Bolden can give us a solid 10 every now and then, outside of that Javin can’t create offense to save his life (I hope he develops a jump shot). When Javin was on the floor, it was 4 on 5 with an automatic double team on Bagley. Bring in Montgomery to give us more low post scoring options.

Ej Montgomery needs to gain weight and get stronger, he is to soft right now. If he goes to duke or UK he will be on the bench.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT