ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS GEORGIA TECH OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

I think that's the most frustrating thing for all Duke fans right now. We spend a lot of time pointing to individual play or questioning coaching, but there's a mental side right now that's really lacking with this group. IMO, it's probably the team's biggest hurdle moving forward. Last night should never have been close. To be up 63-38 with a little over 12 minutes left and see Georgia Tech cut the lead to 10 is beyond maddening.

My thoughts exactly.

I think that's the most frustrating thing for all Duke fans right now. We spend a lot of time pointing to individual play or questioning coaching, but there's a mental side right now that's really lacking with this group. IMO, it's probably the team's biggest hurdle moving forward. Last night should never have been close. To be up 63-38 with a little over 12 minutes left and see Georgia Tech cut the lead to 10 is beyond maddening.

It's really hard to deal with. It's has gotten to be that we know it's coming. A nice lead only becoming a towel biter. I was watching the game and when we went up by 25 my wife's ask me do I think if we have it. I hesitated a little and said We should but there's a lot of time left. Pretty soon that lead dwindled and and dwindled and I said to myself it's happening again. I really don't like that feeling and don't understand why we just can't go ahead and put teams away. DJ had a good word for it. Frustrating. OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Agreed, I think some of it has to do with Boldens ability to use both hands in the post.
Read a little bit of Coach K's post game--Seems he felt Bolden gave good minutes early, but faded later in the game. He played 25 minutes. He foresees him as being able to give 15-18 strong minutes in the future and that sounds about right when the team is at full strength.

He did not elaborate, at least from what I saw, on Duval being benched and if it is going to continue. He did feel that Duval played his best game in awhile.

Also, Bagley is expected to be back for Va Tech.

Last edited:
I'll take the blame for the nail biter guys. I have this magic power, I swear it happens too many times to be a coincidence. I was out to dinner with my parents, checked the score on my phone midway thru the first half, we were up 20. Great! Checked my phone getting into the car to come home, up 24 into the second half at the 14 minute mark. Nice, a nice blowout win. I get home, turn on the TV only to watch GT's big run start. Not what I had planned. :( Every time I turn on a game when we have a lead it all goes to hell.

I haven't watched the first half, but it was concerning to see the disorganized, deer in the headlights look in that last 10 minutes. Bad entry passes to the post for turnovers three times?!?!? I hoped Grayson would step up and take control. No question it was good to see him put up some points and a decent stat line, but the late possession when he dribbled out the shot clock was disturbing. How does a senior not recognize the shot clock? It was nice to see Duval hit that corner three to stabilize us a bit, good for him!

Anyway, a W is a W. Next please! VT is dangerous. Let's hope we come out firing on all cylinders for 40 minutes!

Alan

Reactions: Jnood
I'll take the blame for the nail biter guys. I have this magic power, I swear it happens too many times to be a coincidence. I was out to dinner with my parents, checked the score on my phone midway thru the first half, we were up 20. Great! Checked my phone getting into the car to come home, up 24 into the second half at the 14 minute mark. Nice, a nice blowout win. I get home, turn on the TV only to watch GT's big run start. Not what I had planned. :( Every time I turn on a game when we have a lead it all goes to hell.

I haven't watched the first half, but it was concerning to see the disorganized, deer in the headlights look in that last 10 minutes. Bad entry passes to the post for turnovers three times?!?!? I hoped Grayson would step up and take control. No question it was good to see him put up some points and a decent stat line, but the late possession when he dribbled out the shot clock was disturbing. How does a senior not recognize the shot clock? It was nice to see Duval hit that corner three to stabilize us a bit, good for him!

Anyway, a W is a W. Next please! VT is dangerous. Let's hope we come out firing on all cylinders for 40 minutes!

Alan

We have the same power! Only it's if I quit doing house cleaning, things fall apart!

No need to complicate things. Our best athletes and scorers aren't the best system players, but they're trying to get better. We are all witnessing the growing pains of a young, talented group that is being asked to defer to the game-plan, but then be assertive when appropriate. It aint easy. Duval is like an 800-HP sports car with sensitive throttle. The moment we learn how to feather that gas, we'll be flying around turns and demolishing straightaways.

We’ve always let the gas off at the end of games, this has been a thing for a while with Duke. I saw this game as a positive thing, Bolden was great in the first half and if he can get some confidence I think he’ll give us big minutes. I for one, am happy with a double digit road win. As some are saying, if Duval becomes consistent we could be a major threat in March.... it’s just a big if at this point.

Obviously these guys struggle with consistency, especially on the road. But if there's one thing we know, it's that they have the fight in them needed to make a run. I keep saying it, but I think this team will perform well in a win or go home tournament. So no matter how comfortable I feel following the last game against Carolina, I will remain optimistic. I will say though, the last 15 minutes last night were very hard to watch. Just unlike a Duke team to give up leads in no time. The last 2 years it has been way too normal.

I sorta get pissed off watching this Duke team on a two on one or three on one break. The player leading the break especially Trent will not pass the ball.

Reactions: Mac9192
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT