ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS CLEMSON OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

I feel like I was more mad than them…lol

I would of been tossed out of the game no doubt.
I don't know. I saw a lot of WTF faces when K hugged the kid that made the terribly dirty play. I think the Clemson players and coaches knew how bad it was and took a more apologetic approach. That probably helped the situation from getting out of hand.

Impressive road win. Keels showing why he is a one and done. AJ with a nice game, and Mark and Banchero played well. Like to see Banchero hit another gear down the stretch.
Yeah, I've seen a lot of negative comments about Paolo. I thought he differed in big moments for better shots. Knowing he wasn't having his best game he still played tough. I think if he finds that gear then this team has a very high ceiling.

I don't know. I saw a lot of WTF faces when K hugged the kid that made the terribly dirty play. I think the Clemson players and coaches knew how bad it was and took a more apologetic approach. That probably helped the situation from getting out of hand.
K made a great move there. If he goes off, who knows what happens. Kid made a dirty play, owned it, and K knew Duke needed to answer with their play on the court. And they did.

Reactions: jeffrey236
Missed the whole game but glad to see the win...did win two rounds of trivia at the bar though! :)
Looks like a different Keels showed up...but Roach was still light on his contribution..Williams a beast!
Will have to catch the replay to see what team showed up!

I mean, I don't wish any ill will on the kid. But we all saw what he did. He never once looked like he had any intentions of leaving the floor. He wasn't even looking up. This isn't quite owning his mistake, IMO.
Yeah he lowered the shoulder/arm into Wendell and everything. Most dirty play I can ever remember happening to a Duke player.

Can't get that foul out of my head. Unbelievable. I'm glad we wiped the floor with them, but man, that was terrible.

Reactions: GillJET
I mean, I don't wish any ill will on the kid. But we all saw what he did. He never once looked like he had any intentions of leaving the floor. He wasn't even looking up. This isn't quite owning his mistake, IMO.
Not giving him a pass at all here. Dirty play for sure. I do think he's remorseful. But we can agree to disagree. Neither of us truly know what is in his heart. I did appreciate Brad and Collins coming to apologize to K and the team. K had a great moment with Collins there. I think he should be suspended for some time and we move on. Bigger fish to fry.

Not giving him a pass at all here. Dirty play for sure. I do think he's remorseful. But we can agree to disagree. Neither of us truly know what is in his heart. I did appreciate Brad and Collins coming to apologize to K and the team. K had a great moment with Collins there. I think he should be suspended for some time and we move on. Bigger fish to fry.
We agree on the big picture here. And yes, we don't know where his thought process was at the time. But what we see as evidence doesn’t line up with his explanation. IMO, he shouldn't have given an explanation. He should have just acknowledged how bad it was and extended an apology. Which he did apologize and good on him. There's no doubt that it was intentional. But the reaction from Clemson was professional and they deserve credit for that.

Paolos frustrated from the double teams against UVA and forcing the action . He’s kinda been forcing it the whole season though but anywayyy theres a time when he needs to force it and a time he needs to play the decoy role and find the open man. He hasn’t figured that out yet and probably won’t tbh…

I don't know why Paolo hasn't developed a little half hook off of both shoulders. He could get that shot up quickly before the double team comes instead of waiting or trying to make 3 moves.

My two takeaways from the game are: (1) thank God Wendell is OK. That's the scariest thing I've seen since David Thompson fell on his head in I think 1974; and (2) If this is the game when the light went on, offensively, for Trevor, then we will remember this game in late March.

Jeremy Roach was the first man on the scene after the Wendell/Collins foul. I am surprised he didn't throw punches. But he looked to just be in shock. Meanwhile in the background Joey Baker came sprinting in like he expected something to go down and he was ready to help. Good for him.

I'm not one to encourage anyone throwing punches during a damn basketball game, but if Roach had last night I'd be sitting her defending him this morning, I'm sure of that.

If I had fallen like Wendell fell there I would be dead. On the spot. Wendell didn't even come out of the game. Jesus that kid is tough.

After watching the video, it dang sure looked intentional but at least Wendell wasn't seriously hurt. I would bet that he is stiff and sore this morning. I realize the Clemson player apologized but he also needs to be suspended for a while. I think instinct kicked in and stop him at any cost was in the guy's mind. He needs to sit for a time and think about what could have happened (like a broken neck).

Reactions: youngman42
Definitely a great win in a hostile environment. Paolo’s struggles may be the product of the coaches telling him he had been too deferential, and now he’s forcing shots. It seemed like we missed about 10 open looks to get the ball to Mark, who few teams have an answer for when he gets it low. Even if he gets fouled, he’s a pretty good FT shooter. He should be fouling out 2 guys every game. Hopefully that gets fixed. Outside shooting is great when you’re on, but you can’t beat dunks! One thing that has struck me recently is K’s willingness to expand his bench. He’s been playing 9 guys pretty regularly. Usually by this time of year we are a 7-8 player rotation. That should bode well down the stretch. I wonder if that’s due to some influence from Scheyer.

It seems to me that Roach has digressed. 1 for 5 from the field, ZERO assists. Banchero, aside from rebounds, is really struggling: 5 for 15 from the field, 3 TO's. When he does not have an open 3, he does not seem sure of what to do and ends up forcing a bad shot. He must be leading the team in TO's, or close to it. I see no continuity or smoothness to our offense. Too much delay between passes, hesitancy in taking shots. Despite the score, I do not think we looked particularly good against Clemson. We play like that against a better team, we will have a problem as we did with UVA. Still waiting for this team to knit. OFC

Interesting, that Roach played better suddenly when Trevor got hurt, and now has regressed. Wonder if Roach plays better when he doesn't have the pressure of being replaced by another guard. If so I hope he gets over it.

Reactions: DukeJim99
Good on Collins here.

Garbage explanation. Wendell was already in the air for the dunk, he had more than enough time to stop. I don’t think it was malicious but it was really stupid
If it's a duke player making that dirty play it's leading ESPN. But it's a Clemson player doing it, so who cares?
This isn’t true at all. It’s all over the place especially on espn. Let’s not do that.

Great win in a hostile environment. Great to see Keels play well and several others.

And glad that Moore was not hurt badly.

But, sorry, bleediteveryday3, that was frankly Not, "Good on Collins!" That foul was bad and a lousy excuse.

What he should have said (which would have been the truth) was,

"I was pissed about being stripped and in my anger I went into him. I was wrong and need to have better control of my emotions in the future and am truly sorry for my actions."

That would have been good on Collins. What he said was not "good."

Nor was that take on him,.

Garbage explanation. Wendell was already in the air for the dunk, he had more than enough time to stop. I don’t think it was malicious but it was really stupid

This isn’t true at all. It’s all over the place especially on espn. Let’s not do that.
You're right. I got carried away. My bad.

It seems to me that Roach has digressed. 1 for 5 from the field, ZERO assists. Banchero, aside from rebounds, is really struggling: 5 for 15 from the field, 3 TO's. When he does not have an open 3, he does not seem sure of what to do and ends up forcing a bad shot. He must be leading the team in TO's, or close to it. I see no continuity or smoothness to our offense. Too much delay between passes, hesitancy in taking shots. Despite the score, I do not think we looked particularly good against Clemson. We play like that against a better team, we will have a problem as we did with UVA. Still waiting for this team to knit. OFC
I think Roach has played extremely well the last few games...particularly when Keels was out. He's improved alot since last year and the offense flows better with him on the court.

Reactions: Devilinside
I think Roach has played extremely well the last few games...particularly when Keels was out. He's improved alot since last year and the offense flows better with him on the court.
Roach has had 2 really bad games in a row. His playing time has been cut. Moore is playing more point. What can I say? OFC

The undercut of Moore scarily reminded me of Robert Brickey being undercut by a Seton Hall player. I think it was a Final Four game. Duke had the lead when it happened. Brickey was not able to stay in the game, and Duke ended up losing. OFC

Reactions: KDSTONE and Mac9192
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT