ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS BOSTON COLLEGE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD (VIGOROUSLY KNOCKING ON WOOD)***

Huge win. We are a team with issues but they gutted it out. Could have used Tape tonight for his experience. I was just thinking this week that it could be a long season if Hurt is our best guy. He is good but any other year he would be the second, third, or fourth option. Great to see Moore get it back; this young team sorely needs him and to get JJ back. A win is a win, but we need to get a lot better.

Huge win. We are a team with issues but they gutted it out. Could have used Tape tonight for his experience. I was just thinking this week that it could be a long season if Hurt is our best guy. He is good but any other year he would be the second, third, or fourth option. Great to see Moore get it back; this young team sorely needs him and to get JJ back. A win is a win, but we need to get a lot better.

J-Gold, Moore, and Hurt showed signs of leadership tonight. I was impressed with how each of them picked their spots at the end to make an impact. Nothing was forced by our vets in the crucial stages late. Roach/Steward had some good moments and then some bonehead freshman mistakes. It happens. Clearly this team is still searching for an identity and we need Jalen back ASAP so he can mesh with whatever it ends up being. That said, I liked the resiliency they showed to come back and win after going down 16 in the 1st half. The 3 week layoff definitely didn't help the team. The rust was evident at the start. Also, I think Jon and the coaching staff did a remarkable job with this team tonight. Hopefully K is back on Sat against WFU. If not, I have 100% faith in these guys to get us over the hump.

Kids played hard. May not be a good team, but can’t blame it on effort. Hadn’t played in 21 days, only had played 5, and no Coach K.
Where’s the resident downer @VaBlueDevil33, who posted all the way up to when Duke took the lead? He must be disappointed they didn’t lose.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
14 steals....they get after it....the defensive pressure at the start of the 2nd half should be most of the game.....at least they didnt fold

Wasn't pretty, but I'll take it. A couple things....
-I'm so happy for Wendell, he really needed that kind of game.
-Goldwires experience/leadership was HUGE down the stretch, that floater he hit with around 3 min left to tie the game was massive.
-Hurt drives me crazy on defense and I absolutely hate his post up fade-away, but that 3 he hit at the end was clutch.
-Mark Williams only got 6 minutes, but this wasn't a Mark game. They didn't have a true big and we needed shooters out there to attack the zone, he will be fine.

Reactions: christophero
Wasn't pretty, but I'll take it. A couple things....
-I'm so happy for Wendell, he really needed that kind of game.
-Goldwires experience/leadership was HUGE down the stretch, that floater he hit with around 3 min left to tie the game was massive.
-Hurt drives me crazy on defense and I absolutely hate his post up fade-away, but that 3 he hit at the end was clutch.
-Mark Williams only got 6 minutes, but this wasn't a Mark game. They didn't have a true big and we needed shooters out there to attack the zone, he will be fine.

That floater from Goldwire was massive, as were those two free throws he hit. Great job by him to go 2-2 from the line in that spot.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
I liked the amount of pressure defense that was played. I think BC's guards were tired by the last 5 minutes.

If this were the 14th game for Roach and Steward instead of the 6th, maybe there would have been fewer wild passes and shots.

We need to play games. Regularly and often.

"Nothing was forced by our vets in the crucial stages late"

You may have turned the channel, but did you miss the Goldwire one on one when we were up 2 with less than 90 seconds left? :) Or the long 3 Hurt took we fortunately rebounded?....decision making by this team was a C at best and late game we were bailed out by Moore..and clutch FT's by Goldwire....it was a gutsy win but composure wasn't our best asset in the final minutes. Next game.

Game recap.

Three observations.

Player of the game.

Scorching hot take alert: having damn near a month between games really hurts your continuity and rhythm.

Duke really did have some significant things to overcome: huge break between games, no Johnson, no Tape, and far above all else, no K. In addition, this was probably BC's best game from an offensive standpoint. If you shoot 56% from the floor and 56% from three, as BC did, and you have five guys in double figures, you probably win 75ish% of the time. It was ugly, but Duke grinding one out in those circumstances is great. This is the kind of team that is going to have to win a lot of "grinders."

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
Scorching hot take alert: having damn near a month between games really hurts your continuity and rhythm.

Duke really did have some significant things to overcome: huge break between games, no Johnson, no Tape, and far above all else, no K. In addition, this was probably BC's best game from an offensive standpoint. If you shoot 56% from the floor and 56% from three, as BC did, and you have five guys in double figures, you probably win 75ish% of the time. It was ugly, but Duke grinding one out in those circumstances is great. This is the kind of team that is going to have to win a lot of "grinders."
I don’t necessarily think that was a scorching hot take. Everything u said is on point... at least in my viewpoint it is.

Reactions: HuffyJB
"Nothing was forced by our vets in the crucial stages late"

You may have turned the channel, but did you miss the Goldwire one on one when we were up 2 with less than 90 seconds left? :) Or the long 3 Hurt took we fortunately rebounded?....decision making by this team was a C at best and late game we were bailed out by Moore..and clutch FT's by Goldwire....it was a gutsy win but composure wasn't our best asset in the final minutes. Next game.

I didn't miss that, haha I stand by my comments. Those three guys steadied the team during key moments and gave us the win.

Kids played hard. May not be a good team, but can’t blame it on effort. Hadn’t played in 21 days, only had played 5, and no Coach K.
Where’s the resident downer @VaBlueDevil33, who posted all the way up to when Duke took the lead? He must be disappointed they didn’t lose.

No we are a great team...there is your positive post....now take it and shove it

They escaped a 2-7 pitiful BC team...my lord some of y'all never see a problem with anything

Never said bad effort...we just aren't a very good team...covid or not we aren't very good right now

No we are a great team...there is your positive post....now take it and shove it

They escaped a 2-7 pitiful BC team...my lord some of y'all never see a problem with anything

Never said bad effort...we just aren't a very good team...covid or not we aren't very good right now
Thanks for the "analysis." It's not hard to see that we don't have the elite talent of some past Duke teams. This is clearly a team that is a work in progress, and it's gonna take some time and some real game action to get better. BC is better than a normal 2-7 team, every one of their losses were to power conference schools, notably Nova, Minnesota, and Louisville.

This team does some things better than previous Duke teams though. We shoot the 3 better, which everyone seemed to complain about the past few years. We are deeper, which allows us to press more, which Goldwire is insanely good at doing.

Not sure what to take away from yesterday but 4 and 2 is a lot better than 3 and 3. We did come back and win but we also got down big at home to a 2 and 7 team. Yes they shot well but when you leave guys open that is what happens. Now let's get JJ back and Tape back for depth. Moore breaking out is great but he needs to maintain that. A step in the right direction.

We have had two ACC games postponed and could have won both. Add the two non confetence games that we would have won and we could be 8-2. 3 weeks is a long time not to see any actual game play. The second half last night was really strong offensively. Getting out to defense the three point shot really needs work, let'see how things go Sat as to how we stand. We really just need to play . Coach Jon did well. He can't play defense just like any coach. All he can do is yell at them to get at it defensively. The kids do not know how to play defense now. They just are not taught in high school. If Coach K does not coach Sat I still feel Coach Jon is more than capable. OFC

Jon did a good job the last 3 minutes calling the timeouts to setup plays at the most crucial possessions. He showed composure and worked well with his assistants. He saw that Moore had the hot hand and got him the ball.

I was ready to say that Scheyer played more people but then saw the minutes breakdown and realized that if you substitute Moore's minutes for Williams', he played 5 guys most of the game with Brakefield and Baker getting typical sub minutes. Neither Brakefield or Baker really showed enough to merit more minutes, other than Joey hitting one corner 3.

It's easy to see when Johnson gets back that we go to a 6-7 man rotation. Williams/Tape gets spot duty when we need some size, and Baker and Brakefield get a few minutes to see if one of them is hot.

Reactions: skysdad
I was ready to say that Scheyer played more people but then saw the minutes breakdown and realized that if you substitute Moore's minutes for Williams', he played 5 guys most of the game with Brakefield and Baker getting typical sub minutes. Neither Brakefield or Baker really showed enough to merit more minutes, other than Joey hitting one corner 3.

It's easy to see when Johnson gets back that we go to a 6-7 man rotation. Williams/Tape gets spot duty when we need some size, and Baker and Brakefield get a few minutes to see if one of them is hot.

Any updates on Johnson? OFC

Reactions: geddoughton23
Has anyone other than Goodman mentioned any issues with Johnson? Because if not, I conclude that this is Goodman's impression of Johnson's body language and nothing more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT