ADVERTISEMENT

Coming to Durham

Gator Chef Al

Recruit
Nov 14, 2013
I will be traveling to Durham NC late June. Besides all things Duke what should I do? Even all things Duke besides a campus tour, the basketball hall of fame tour what should I do to see the most of the campus/team? Should I rent a car to travel outside of Durham? Where should I go, eat, what should I see, etc? Thanks for any help.

Go Duke!

Explore the RDU area. Spend a day in Chapel Hill and a day in Raleigh after exploring Duke/Durham.
I would suggest renting a car but advise against spending too much time in the CH/ Raleigh Glenwood South bars and trying to drive back to Durham.
I would maybe get hotel room wherever you do the bar hopping.

Get a burrito at Cosmic Cantina. It's a rite of passage for every Duke student

Duke Gardens is another campusy thing you should do. Catch a Bulls game if they're in town. Look up events for the week at indyweek.com . There might be a good band somewhere or something.

I wouldn't go to either Chapel Hill or Raleigh, especially Chapel Hill, but that's just me.

Durham has so many great places to eat. I couldn't possibly begin to list them.

I'm married w/ 3 kids and my wife is a farmer, which means I'm a farmer, too. I go to work just to get some rest. So I probably don't know what in the world I'm talking about. I'll be living vicariously through you w/ all my suggestions. Some of the places I would recommend might not even exist anymore.

Definitely check out the Duke museum in the Schwartz-Butters Athletic Center right next to Cameron. It wasn't there when I was an undergrad, and I saw it for the first time when I went back to Durham for the Va. Tech game in 2014. Blew me away seeing all the trophies for every sport up close. Definitely make time for that.

Grab a drink at the Washington Duke on campus, especially if it's nice out.

And if you want a really nice meal in the area, I've always been partial to Angus Barn, even if it's a hike from campus.

I was on campus yesterday and it was a nightmare because of all the construction going on. Was still able to see the hall of fame again and Cameron. Got to the store in Card gym and the student store in the Bryan center which has changed since I was there last. All in all it was worth the trip. Just wish the construction hadn't been everywhere but oh well

if you walk out of Duck Shop and look left you'll see it. I never hang out in Durham unless it's a sporting event on campus. I'll check it out soon and let ya know
Oh man, the Duck Shop! That place brings back memories.

That entire stretch of Ninth Street looks so different than it did when I was in college. Thankfully Cosmic Cantina is still around. I could sure go for a chicken burrito right now.

I am sure everything has changed in almost 30 years but here goes:

- McDonald's Drug Store on Ninth Street served real fountain drinks (mixed syrup and carbonated water by hand).

- Ninth Street Bakery (which I have heard is not on Ninth Street anymore but retains the name).

- Go to a Durham Bulls Game and get yourself a Durham Bulls T-Shirt or Hat - THIS I know still exists.

- Five Points Bookstore - at one time was the largest Used Bookstore in Southeast. I used to buy books from their dime rack every week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT