ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari "goal was not to win national title". Well then mission accomplished!

That's the second time that he said that his goal for last season was to get 8 players drafter because he said the same thing in an interview earlier in the preseason or regular season too.

His uncanny ability to talk out of both sides of his mouth is one of the more incredible things I've seen in the CBB scene.

Reactions: John Caraway
Cal can shovel with the best of 'em...and he's got his draft picks trained in all the fine details of it. Don't anyone ever say Kentucky doesn't provide an education for it's student/athletes.

John%20Calipari%20BS%20Shovel%20Ready%20Job%20Approved.jpg

OFC

When Calipari says things like that, it is about recruiting and deflecting from a failed title run. If he won the title this year, would he have said this? Maybe, but I would bet no.

Poor guy just can't come to grips with reality! Don't you think for one second he thought they would lose once they got to the "final four". He obviously is still trying to deal with "what happened"?!!
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

I think the statement is ridiculous, I simply don't understand it. You know what else I don't understand? Izzo echoed the same sentiments as Calipari. "Everybody thinks the college coaches hold kids back," Izzo said. "That would be insane because when a kid gets drafted, that's bigger for your program than if you win a national championship."

The Izzo portion is at the bottom of the article
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ba-draft-combine-spt-0515-20150514-story.html

That has to make UK fans really happy about that. I thought HOF Coach Roy Williams could come out with some zingers but this one tops the Tar Heel orator. He really needs to take the Pelican job if offered. OFC

Reactions: dbav
cal's hurt the draft stock of all this players expect towns...twins likely won't be drafted

next year only skal is going to make it to nba draft as late first rounder after they have a first round exit in the NIT (repeat of 2013...love how media never mentions this fact which was truly embarrassing for the amount of talent UK had that year)

guy mite truly be one of the worst coaches ever and only wins due to recruiting top players by paying them (likely leaves for nba after his next scandal)

UK fans are trying to spin it as if it's a good thing.

Many people don't seem to believe it, but not every athlete has a goal of playing in college and then bolting after one year. Many really do want to win. Cal's statement was foolish because majority of the players he recruits will get drafted no matter where they go. So I'm sure the goal for those players is to win the championship.

Cal may manage to fail to have even five of his players drafted, let alone 8. Harrisons and Dakari are fringe 2nd round.

I expect Dakari to get a nod, and maybe the better Harrison. The crappy Harrison has no chance.
Andrew? The thing with Dakari is I see Daniel Orton, if that. He seemed to really underproduce based on what I recall from the tourney. Aaron Harrison might find his way onto a team if he's lucky, I guess he can point to his game-winning shots from last year.

This is a recruiting ploy and it makes sense. Everyone on UK's team wanted to win a title and everyone knows it. If I'm a fan of UK I wouldn't be upset by his comments, Cal struggled (by his standards) to recruit this year- he's reminding everyone that he gets kids to the NBA and that is his main goal. It's a good recruiting pitch and it takes the spotlight off of a failed championship run.

Reactions: shicashicu
This is a recruiting ploy and it makes sense. Everyone on UK's team wanted to win a title and everyone knows it. If I'm a fan of UK I wouldn't be upset by his comments, Cal struggled (by his standards) to recruit this year- he's reminding everyone that he gets kids to the NBA and that is his main goal. It's a good recruiting pitch and it takes the spotlight off of a failed championship run.

In my opinion, he doesn't get kids to the NBA. Majority of All Americans will get to the NBA no matter who their coach is. Besides Harrellson and maybe Liggins, he's always had NBA caliber players who would've made it without him. If I'm a top recruit who will make it to the NBA no matter who my coach is and I really care about winning, I don't want to hear a potential coach saying that winning isn't the main goal.

I don't really believe any high major coach "gets" their players to the NBA.

In my opinion, he doesn't get kids to the NBA. Majority of All Americans will get to the NBA no matter who their coach is. Besides Harrellson and maybe Liggins, he's always had NBA caliber players who would've made it without him. If I'm a top recruit who will make it to the NBA no matter who my coach is and I really care about winning, I don't want to hear a potential coach saying that winning isn't the main goal.

I agree, if you're good enough you will make it regardless. I'm just saying that's what Cal is selling when he throws out lines like "this is the biggest day in the history of Kentucky basketball" and "our goal was to get 8 guys to the NBA this year."

I disagree, a coach should get credit for getting these kids to the pros. Heck they get blamed if those same kids do not make it. I do not like Calipari but he is selling his school to kids who want to make it to the pros and he is getting them there at a high clip. The man does deserve some credit for that. Just as K deserves credit for getting his guys there as well.

I disagree, a coach should get credit for getting these kids to the pros. Heck they get blamed if those same kids do not make it. I do not like Calipari but he is selling his school to kids who want to make it to the pros and he is getting them there at a high clip. The man does deserve some credit for that. Just as K deserves credit for getting his guys there as well.

I agree that that a coach should get credit for helping them get there, but coaches like Cal, K, or Self do not "get" their players into the NBA.

Just because they get blamed if a kid doesn't make it, doesn't mean it was actually their fault.

cballover, You are minimizing the true effect guys like K, Calipari and Self have in getting these kids prepared for the NBA. From the moment they start recruiting them, they have plans in place to best optimize their talent and showcase it to the pro scouts all the while making them better players through team play. There is a reason why the three coaches I mentioned here are highly successful landing and seeing their guys get to the next level. So much more goes into this process than coaching. It isn't show up, play for a year and off you go. Actual work still has to be done.

cballover, You are minimizing the true effect guys like K, Calipari and Self have in getting these kids prepared for the NBA. From the moment they start recruiting them, they have plans in place to best optimize their talent and showcase it to the pro scouts all the while making them better players through team play. There is a reason why the three coaches I mentioned here are highly successful landing and seeing their guys get to the next level. So much more goes into this process than coaching. It isn't show up, play for a year and off you go. Actual work still has to be done.

I'm not minimizing their effect, but for anyone to say something like K got Okafor to the NBA is silly. He definitely did help him prepare, like you stated, but he certainly didn't get him there.

Same goes for most elite players. You'll never hear a top player say their coach got them to the league.

Eh, I disagree, most top players say they go to a college in part because of the coaches ability to send guys to the NBA. Then when they are drafted they almost all give credit to their college coach for preparing them. It is fairly routine.

Reactions: youngman42
Eh, I disagree, most top players say they go to a college in part because of the coaches ability to send guys to the NBA. Then when they are drafted they almost all give credit to their college coach for preparing them. It is fairly routine.

These three interviews back up what you are saying:

Don't forget Quinn's speech either.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil

I understand what you're saying but you're missing my point. Jahlil isn't going to the NBA because of K. Towns isn't going to the NBA because of Cal. They could've gotten there had they never played for them. I'm not trying to downplay any role they have in helping them.

My original point was regarding the comments Cal said that if I were a top player, I wouldn't really want someone who coached me; or is going to coach me for a year, saying he got me to the NBA. If I'm a top player going to the NBA regardless of who coaches me, I'd want their priority to be winning. If I know I'm only going to college for one year, I want something to commemorate my time there, which Jah, Justice, and Tyus have certainly done.

It's definitely a recruiting ploy, but I don't agree either that it makes sense nor that UK fans should be cool with it. On-court results and the obvious proliferation in the draft speak for themselves. K just pulled in a couple off-season recruits that catapulted our recruiting class from fringe top 10 (SI's issue covering the championship) to the consensus #1 w/o compromising his emphasis on team and "unpacking your bags" at all. Cal's direct statements about the draft being more important promotes a "me first" attitude that even me-first players know they better try to hide for the good of the team.

By definition, fans who are first and foremost fans of any college program care more about that program's success in the college game than its alumni's success in the NBA. The latter is good advertising, we know, but first and foremost is the college team's on-court success.

I don't think it removes the spotlight from their disappointing end to the season at all. If anything, it's obvious that's what he's trying to do, so it makes it just as spotlighted, but worse for the attempt to dodge. Once revealed to be a combover, the world's greatest combover ever is worse than an unapologetically bald,, shiny, sunburned crown.

Reactions: dbav
Damn, Justise sounds seriously squared away. That's a solid young man. Hate to see him go.

I'd be shocked if Cal actually preferred max draft picks to winning a title. It seems to me that his statement was just an attempt to deflect disappointment and claim success for a season that ended unexpectedly soon. I think our equivalent would be Coach K talking about our APR right after the Mercer/Lehigh losses. We'd have most folks on this board defending him and a few thinking he was nuts. Similar to what's happening on the UK boards atm.

Reactions: Dattier
I do think Cal is trying to placate his failure to win a title.

But, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with that perspective. Should winning a title be bigger than helping a kid post-college? No. All good coaches, Izzo, K, etc. are about developing kids in life. Sure they want to win a title. Bad. But, when they get down to it I think they are more proud about their kids becoming the best they can be in life over just winning a title. And, if the kid's dream is the NBA, and he has a real shot at that, then that should be a huge priority.

Give K, Izzo, Cal this choice - what do you think they would say: Option A) win a title and some kids don't see their dreams realized or are not as successful as they could be; or Option B) Lose in the FF but all the kids on the team realize their dream in life (e.g., NBA)?

I think you can do both nor does it mean a compromise with anyone. But, I also think Cal is trying to take a dig at K and argue that he's a better conduit to the NBA (though that is not correct).

But, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with that perspective. Should winning a title be bigger than helping a kid post-college? No. All good coaches, Izzo, K, etc. are about developing kids in life. Sure they want to win a title. Bad. But, when they get down to it I think they are more proud about their kids becoming the best they can be in life over just winning a title. And, if the kid's dream is the NBA, and he has a real shot at that, then that should be a huge priority.

Give K, Izzo, Cal this choice - what do you think they would say: Option A) win a title and some kids don't see their dreams realized or are not as successful as they could be; or Option B) Lose in the FF but all the kids on the team realize their dream in life (e.g., NBA)?

I think you can do both nor does it mean a compromise with anyone. But, I also think Cal is trying to take a dig at K and argue that he's a better conduit to the NBA (though that is not correct).

Getting a kid drafted and developing kids in life are not the same thing. Not even close. At no point did Cal say his goal was to prepare these kids for life after college. He said his goal is to get them drafted. I believe that's a distinction that needs to be made.

Most of these kids would have been drafted out of high school if possible, or would have been drafted regardless of where they went. So he doesn't even seem to be really helping them achieve their dreams.

There is a difference between helping these kids realize a dream and developing them. I don't see a lot of development with Cal.

It is obviously a recruiting ploy, but I can't agree with the notion that it would placate UK fans. They want championships, like any fan of a college bball team. I think almost all fans for any team would rather have a championship team with zero NBA players (as unlikely as that is) than a non-champion chocked with pro talent. Banners baby.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Do the banners count if they come down? Like a tree falling in the forrest type of situation.

Reactions: jibip

If he's taking a dig at K -- and I agree that he is -- the statement is already compromised. I absolutely see why anyone -- including me -- would have a problem w/ that perspective.

Saying the goal is to get guys drafted is putting the end product ahead of the process. It's like saying you want to be rich as opposed to saying you want to do something so well that it leads to riches. It's a hollow, poorly prioritized perspective.

Call would be the kind of guy who tells 8th graders that grades don't matter b/c they don't get reported to college when he ought to be telling 1st graders that what they do now establishes the habits for 2nd, 3rd, up through 8th grade, that they take to high school, when colleges will start paying attention to grades.

Reactions: denniden and dbav
I understand what you're saying but you're missing my point. Jahlil isn't going to the NBA because of K. Towns isn't going to the NBA because of Cal. They could've gotten there had they never played for them. I'm not trying to downplay any role they have in helping them.

My original point was regarding the comments Cal said that if I were a top player, I wouldn't really want someone who coached me; or is going to coach me for a year, saying he got me to the NBA. If I'm a top player going to the NBA regardless of who coaches me, I'd want their priority to be winning. If I know I'm only going to college for one year, I want something to commemorate my time there, which Jah, Justice, and Tyus have certainly done.
I gotcha. Good post!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT