ADVERTISEMENT

Battle of Incoming 2022 Duke Recruits

bullcity gamer

Cameron Crazy
Oct 15, 2017
Mark Mitchell vs Dariq Whitehead at 5:00pm Eastern Time on ESPNU

#2 Sunrise Christian (KS) vs #1 Montverde (FL)

Last edited:
Reactions: christophero
Whitehead looks impressive. I haven't seen Mitchell play, but from what I have read Mitchell seems like a multi year guy. Of course I said that about Keels last year and now he's on first round mock drafts.

Watching the game now. Grady Dick (Kansas commit) for Sunrise and Dillon Mitchell (Texas commit) for Montverde are killing it. Dick looks like the best pure shooter I’ve seen in years - maybe better than JJ. Our guys have been pretty silent.

Not impressed so far by either of our guys. Whitehead plays soft and as if the lane was full of IEDs. Lots of off balance fallaway 3’s. Mitchell finally scored in the 3rd quarter. First time I’ve seen either outside of highlight videos, so hopefully an outlier for both.

Wow I wouldn't think Whitehead was soft. He looks like a very strong wing. Still, small sample. If we don't get Moore or Keels back it's going to be a rough ride. We've never had that much turnover before.

Neither looks soft to me . Just looks like sunrise defense has been good .

Reactions: Fourteen44
I didn’t say Mitchell looks soft. He just hasn’t shown much. But Whitehead has largely sat outside on O, waiting to shoot 3’s. And not making them.

Another opportunity to watch both Whitehead and Mitchell at 3pm and 5pm Eastern Time tomorrow respectively on ESPN+ FYI

I didn’t say Mitchell looks soft. He just hasn’t shown much. But Whitehead has largely sat outside on O, waiting to shoot 3’s. And not making them.
Didn’t say you did I’m was saying based on my opinion. Whitehead has a high arching three and Mitchell plays primary inside from what I saw . Good combination for Duke to have .

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Wow I wouldn't think Whitehead was soft. He looks like a very strong wing. Still, small sample. If we don't get Moore or Keels back it's going to be a rough ride. We've never had that much turnover before.

Basically the entirety of the last 7 years Duke has seen a lot of turnover year to year. I'm thinking next year may be a little bit like the 2016 or 2020 teams, worst case like the 2012 team.

I didn't watch last nights game and won't get a chance to see today's games but I am still amazed that fans continue to put so much stock in how players look before they get to Duke. I mean, I get the desire to watch them play but high school ball on tv has been a thing for long enough now that I thought most people have caught on to the fact that you simply can't take much of anything concrete away from these games in terms of how a player may end up playing in college or the pros. Just watch them play and understand this is where they are right now in their careers and this is how well or poorly they played in this one game. Nothing more, nothing less.

I remember seeing Hurley in the McDonald's game and not being all that impressed. I remember seeing Paulus in the McDonald's game and being very impressed. So seeing a player in one game in high school isn't very helpful in determining his college career.

I'll trust the coaches and how the guys develop once they get college coaching and training.

With all due respect, I think some may be over-reacting to my comments. I wasn’t second guessing the coaches’ recruiting judgment, or projecting how Whitehead’s or Mitchell’s college careers will go. As I said, first time I’ve seen either play besides highlights, and I wasn’t impressed with how they played last night. No more, no less.

I do remember Paulus looking good in that game too. He was passing to Josh M. for dunks repeatedly. Regarding Duke turnover, we've had turnover but we've never had only one guy in the rotation back. Which could happen next year. And we usually have several "wait your turn" guys coming back. I guess Blakes could qualify, but he has not played meaningful minutes.

Last edited:
In the new world, it could be that transfers count as "wait your turn" guys. Seems that if you get the right ones, they have the experience to hit the ground running. A somewhat more athletic Bates Jones would be a great pickup if he's out there. And transfers will see that there is playing time to earn next year.

Reactions: christophero
The transfer market is a great idea. A combo guard and a PF. But guys are going to see our highly rated recruits. But Jon and staff make a lot of money to convince guys to play a role. If Jon plays a deeper bench that would help, as coach k usually goes with 6 or 7 guys. It's not experience with Duke, so there is still a learning curve, as we see with Theo. Still it's college experience. I like Theo, but he has regressed a bit lately. Wonder if his knees are bothering him.

Last edited:
Yes I worry about Theo too. I liked him a lot but now he seems to be a step slow. We'll need him against Bacot and some other big guys down the road.

Yes I worry about Theo too. I liked him a lot but now he seems to be a step slow. We'll need him against Bacot and some other big guys down the road.
That’s the problem. Theo matches up with Bacot good just like Williams will too. It’s the smaller line ups that get him and Mark.
I think the incoming freshman know what’s a head of them next year.

Good bounce back game for Mark Mitchell today against #17 ranked Wasatch High School. Mitchell finished as the leading scorer for Sunrise with 21 points. Mitchell will need to improve on his free throw shooting, he had a terrible day at the free throw line shooting 5-11 yikes.

Dariq Whitehead and Montverde tip off at 5pm Eastern Time on ESPN+.

Whitehead’s struggles from last night carried over into Montverde’s win over Bishop Walsh tonight. He did not start the game and he didn’t play significantly in the game until Montverde was up 20 points in the game.

Whitehead’s struggles from last night carried over into Montverde’s win over Bishop Walsh tonight. He did not start the game and he didn’t play significantly in the game until Montverde was up 20 points in the game.
Sounds like if he didn’t start he could have been sick or something.

With all due respect, I think some may be over-reacting to my comments. I wasn’t second guessing the coaches’ recruiting judgment, or projecting how Whitehead’s or Mitchell’s college careers will go. As I said, first time I’ve seen either play besides highlights, and I wasn’t impressed with how they played last night. No more, no less.
You also said Dick may be a better pure shooter than JJ Redick. You literally typed that out, thought about it, and still hit the post button.

He said JJ. Maybe he meant JJ from Good times. Or Jalen Johnson.

Good point but as far as Duke goes there's only one JJ and for me it's Redick. As far as how good these guys will be at the next level only time will tell . Very pleased that we are getting both Whitehead and Mitchell and I will support them at Duke. I don't expect them to be All ACC or All Americans but they could be. All I can say is they are future Dukies and they are not going to play at UK or for cackles davis at cheater u. OFC

I watched some of the Gill/Westtown game last night. I can see why a lot of players reclassify. HS basketball is terrible! Both teams sat back in zone defenses so there is no movement on defense and little movement on offense. I've seen Lively play twice and both times he basically sits back in the middle of the zone defense and moves very little. i guess he's either bored or doesn't want to take advantage of being so much more athletic than everyone else on the floor.

I assume college coaches mainly recruit out of AAU ball because you can't see much of anything in these bad 32 minute sleep fests.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Wow I don't mind saying that the energy level in that game is twice what it was in the Gill game I watched over the weekend.

It seems over the years like "he does all the little things" is code for he cannot shoot a lick lol. But Whitehead looks really good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT