ADVERTISEMENT

#1 in Coaches Poll

Duke is #1 in the preseason coaches poll. But what I found the most interesting is that all 4 teams in the Champions Classic are ranked 1-4. Duke, Michigan State, Kansas And Kentucky is 4. What a night that will be.

Also, lawyers payed for UNC to be 9th.

UNC won't be ranked #9 long, they're going to struggle this season. Roy is already throwing his frontcourt under the bus.

UNC won't be ranked #9 long, they're going to struggle this season. Roy is already throwing his frontcourt under the bus.

To be honest I think unCHEAT. will be fine this year. Seems to me some of us thought they would have a down season last year and guess what. They won in 2009 and guess who won in 2010. Yep. Let's hope history repeats itself . Maybe repeat itself entirely. Wasn't 2010 the NIT year for unCHEAT OFC

To be honest I think unCHEAT. will be fine this year. Seems to me some of us thought they would have a down season last year and guess what. They won in 2009 and guess who won in 2010. Yep. Let's hope history repeats itself . Maybe repeat itself entirely. Wasn't 2010 the NIT year for unCHEAT OFC

I don't think people realize how bad their frontcourt is. They're going to struggle this season, mark my words. I'm predicting 13 losses for the holes.

I don't think people realize how bad their frontcourt is. They're going to struggle this season, mark my words. I'm predicting 13 losses for the holes.

I hope so. Don't forget about big luke maye and according to some sources the 3 big freshman coming in all are 5 star players now. 20 losses would please me more. OFC

Reactions: toophly1124
Unx will be number 1 before we know it. With Luke "Bird" Maye, Joel "magic" Berry, and Theo "Dr J" Pinson, this team cannot be stopped.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I'd have Arizona in the top 4 instead of UK for the time being, though it certainly wouldn't be surprising to see UK there at some point.

I've been cautious about predicting UNC's demise ever since their '05-'06 team exceeded expectations, and after having doubts they could sustain the loss of Paige and Johnson from '16 last year, I have more reason than ever to be conservative in predicting they'll fall off. Hoping for another '09-'10, though!

I'd have Arizona in the top 4 instead of UK for the time being, though it certainly wouldn't be surprising to see UK there at some point.

I've been cautious about predicting UNC's demise ever since their '05-'06 team exceeded expectations, and after having doubts they could sustain the loss of Paige and Johnson from '16 last year, I have more reason than ever to be conservative in predicting they'll fall off. Hoping for another '09-'10, though!

Paige and Johnson were big losses, however, they returned majority of their team from the 2016 year and 95% of their frountcourt from that season (I believe UNC had the most top 15 HS recruits to stay for last season). This season, their best frontcourt player is Luke Maye and they have a bunch of low ranked freshman anchoring down the post. Roy has already been on record stating he's very concerned about his frontcourt. As we all know, Roy runs his offense through the post and too stubborn to change his coaching philosophy. Just to put things in perspective, UNC's 2010 frontcourt would run circles around this years UNC frontcourt. I'm not saying UNC won't make the tournament, but 12-13 losses is very realistic.

Last edited:

Arizona is a mystery right now with the Addidas sting.There is a lot of talent there but the question is how much of it wlll be available this year

Champions Classic will be FOR REAL this year! 1vs2 and 3vs4, but that’s if the AP poll agrees with the coaches poll.

I don't like being ranked #1 unless we deserve it. I think we do. Preseason is just an educated guess. PG ....CHECK. Center.....check. 3 ball bomber from hell.......check. Great wings.......check. Great reserves.......check. Best coach......check. Still healthy.........check. #1.....CHECK !

I’ve always thought it was crazy how that has happened that after one won a title then the other won a title within a few years. We won in 91 & 92 then they won in 93. We won in 2001 then they won in 2005. They won in 2009 then we won in 2010. We won in 2015 then they won in 2017. So like you said hopefully we continue the trend and win the title this year.

Reactions: skysdad
I don't like being ranked #1 unless we deserve it. I think we do. Preseason is just an educated guess. PG ....CHECK. Center.....check. 3 ball bomber from hell.......check. Great wings.......check. Great reserves.......check. Best coach......check. Still healthy.........check. #1.....CHECK !

And I don't think we are writing "check" that our butts cant cash either!!!

Reactions: Showenuff
I love that we’re ranked #1 and can’t see how that worries anyone. Duke has a giant target whether it’s being ranked #1, #5, #20 or unranked. I want these players to feel hunted every single night. It’s only going to make them better.

As for UNC, they have the best point guard in the country. They’re a threat to be really, really good. If one of their freshman bigs plays over his head they’re a top three team in the ACC....and if you finish in the top three of the ACC you’re capable of playing in early April. Do I think it’s likely? It’s certainly less likely than the last two years, but it still hardly inconceivable.

I think with the talent we have on hand, many Duke fans (and Duke players) have somewhat realistic expectations of making the FF, and perhaps winning the natty. And with those goals in mind, it doesn't seem like being ranked preseason #1 is too scary to handle.

As for Carolina, well, karma is overdue.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
I like being ranked #1 right now because as loaded with talent as is team is, I'd hate to think there is another out there that the voters think have even more talent than we do. I also do not believe in curses, jinx's, ufo's, bigfoots, or ghosts...so...lets get those #1 ranked Blue Devils on the court kicking some butt!!!

Reactions: timo0402
It means nothing in terms of the season but at the same time it does mean that we are extremely talented. We knew this already and this shouldn’t change anything about achieving our ultimate goals. Here’s to good health. Let’s go DUKE!

It means nothing in terms of the season but at the same time it does mean that we are extremely talented. We knew this already and this shouldn’t change anything about achieving our ultimate goals. Here’s to good health. Let’s go DUKE!
Yes! More than anything, I hope our guys stay healthy!

I think with the talent we have on hand, many Duke fans (and Duke players) have somewhat realistic expectations of making the FF, and perhaps winning the natty. And with those goals in mind, it doesn't seem like being ranked preseason #1 is too scary to handle.

As for Carolina, well, karma is overdue.

OFC
Agree with ya Dirt. Bring the hype on. Everyone is right, we have talent, seems like we have a tough and hungry team as well. The one thing I haven't read yet though is the hunger of Coach K.
The old man has to still be steaming from last season, then the damn Holes and Ol Roy cutdown the nets. Duke was the anointed ones last year, and it went all to hell before it even started. I see K more determined, pissed, and fired up than ever.
Now add in Grayson. He has to feel like a man with a second chance on life. I'm sure he's chomping at the bit to pound anyone not wearing Duke into submission.
Screw the Holes. Regardless of what happens with them this year, I think we stomp them whether we play them two times or four. I think when we play them in Chapel Hill you will see sweater vests exiting before the game is over.

I love that we’re ranked #1 and can’t see how that worries anyone. Duke has a giant target whether it’s being ranked #1, #5, #20 or unranked. I want these players to feel hunted every single night. It’s only going to make them better.

As for UNC, they have the best point guard in the country. They’re a threat to be really, really good. If one of their freshman bigs plays over his head they’re a top three team in the ACC....and if you finish in the top three of the ACC you’re capable of playing in early April. Do I think it’s likely? It’s certainly less likely than the last two years, but it still hardly inconceivable.

I agree with the overall sentiment about Berry's ability to carry a team, but I don't know if he's the best point guard. I would take Jalen Brunson, Jevon Carter, Jaylen Adams, Jaaron Simmons, and Jordan McLaughlin over him, personally. I think Matt Farrell and Emmett Naar are both better facilitators and shooters. And who knows how good Colin Sexton, Trevon Duval, or Trae Young might be? He's top 10, I'll grant you. But I don't think he's the best. JMO.

I agree with the overall sentiment about Berry's ability to carry a team, but I don't know if he's the best point guard. I would take Jalen Brunson, Jevon Carter, Jaylen Adams, Jaaron Simmons, and Jordan McLaughlin over him, personally. I think Matt Farrell and Emmett Naar are both better facilitators and shooters. And who knows how good Colin Sexton, Trevon Duval, or Trae Young might be? He's top 10, I'll grant you. But I don't think he's the best. JMO.
I agree DD. While Berry is a good college PG, I don't see him being the best. Also think his numbers will be down this year as he will more than likely be the focal point of oppositions defense. Take him out and I think the holes will struggle.

Berry isn't going to be much of an NBA player, but in college I take him over every single player you listed. I don't like him, but he's really, really good.

I agree DD. While Berry is a good college PG, I don't see him being the best. Also think his numbers will be down this year as he will more than likely be the focal point of oppositions defense. Take him out and I think the holes will struggle.

Berry's scoring numbers will rise....no doubt about it. I'd say he's around 16-18ppg.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT