ADVERTISEMENT

“No dominant team this year”

BlueDevils725

Starter
Jan 12, 2015
i think the whole “no dominant team this year” phrase should be canned. We’ve dominated our past 3-4 games against sure fire tournament teams.

The SFA game scared me, but wowza, i think it was a blessing in disguise. I know its early but, i don’t know a team in the ACC that i’m scared of. This year could be special.

Go Duke!

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
We're better now than we were last month. And we were better last month than the month before that.

We always talk about wanting to have a team which improves as the year goes on, and I think we have one. While we may not see individual improvement on a game-by-game basis, the team's improvement is noticeable because of our depth. Coach has the luxury of pulling someone who's not playing great and subbing in someone who is.

We're better now than we were last month. And we were better last month than the month before that.

We always talk about wanting to have a team which improves as the year goes on, and I think we have one. While we may not see individual improvement on a game-by-game basis, the team's improvement is noticeable because of our depth. Coach has the luxury of pulling someone who's not playing great and subbing in someone who is.
Well said, agree 100%.

I want to see how we play Louisville. If they dominate that game then yea, I think FSU will be the toughest test in conference.

We seen way too many times Duke teams we loved in December and January fail in late March. I'm trying REALLY HARD to enjoy the ride and not get ahead of myself. (not working well but I'm trying")

I want to see us against a few more capable teams before i say we’re dominate. I love the track we’re on but i feel its a little early. If we get to the Louisville game without a loss and we beat them then maybe I’ll say we’re the most dominant team in the country.

I’d love to get through January without a loss. It’s been a long time since Duke was able to afford a couple late season losses and still comfortably be a 1 seed (2011??). Home against Louisville is really our only tough game on paper this month. And Louisville has some problems at the moment.

Home FSU, at NC St, and at UVA will be tough, it would be nice to be ACC undefeated going into any of those games.

I’d love to get through January without a loss. It’s been a long time since Duke was able to afford a couple late season losses and still comfortably be a 1 seed (2011??). Home against Louisville is really our only tough game on paper this month. And Louisville has some problems at the moment.

Home FSU, at NC St, and at UVA will be tough, it would be nice to be ACC undefeated going into any of those games.

That's gonna be tough to do. OFC

We seen way too many times Duke teams we loved in December and January fail in late March. I'm trying REALLY HARD to enjoy the ride and not get ahead of myself. (not working well but I'm trying")
I think we've tended to hit our ceiling in late December while most other continue to improve. I don't think we've hit our ceiling yet this year. This team is still coming together.

Reactions: Liftee
We're lucky we don't get FSU in Florida this year. Syracuse will be tough up there if we catch one of those cold shooting nights. If we attack the zone the way ND did yesterday (getting the ball in the middle of the zone) we can defeat any zone. We just have to keep improving at the defensive end.

Reactions: skysdad
I think we've tended to hit our ceiling in late December while most other continue to improve. I don't think we've hit our ceiling yet this year. This team is still coming together.

I can't until we hit the roof. After the roof it's the sky and after the sky, infinity. OFC

Last edited:
Bilas said it last night...then transitioned into best overall conference....he picked the B10. I think the ACC/B10 challenge was 8-6 to B10 but pretty close. He had the Big East and B12 over the ACC too - the ACC isnt the 4th best conference by a long shot. As for individual teams, its pretty close this year and any given night is a lottery...Zags only won on a blocked 3 against 7-8 Pepperdine last night, and so far at least 4 other top 10 teams have lost this weekend. So, as for a dominant team, I'd have to agree...but if pushed to pick one, Duke would be as good a choice as any!

Reactions: DukefanKY
We're lucky we don't get FSU in Florida this year. Syracuse will be tough up there if we catch one of those cold shooting nights. If we attack the zone the way ND did yesterday (getting the ball in the middle of the zone) we can defeat any zone. We just have to keep improving at the defensive end.
I'm not one bit concerned about the cuse zone. For me, it has nothing to do with are we capable of hitting the three, but more to do with the poise of our players when operating in the paint and passing ability.
We have more than Zion or RJ to flash in the middle this year. Not to mention Tre handled it just fine last year when K used him to flash across the middle. We are better and Cuse is not compared to across the board talent from last year up there. Just my 2 cents. I totally agree, continue to improve and bring it every game.

We keep getting better because we don’t have many star players. We have role players that’s getting an opportunity to play and get comfortable in their roles. It’s building confidence in everyone. Vernon and Tre are very consistent in what they do. The other freshmen are continuing to get better.

Reactions: DukefanKY
I'm not one bit concerned about the cuse zone. For me, it has nothing to do with are we capable of hitting the three, but more to do with the poise of our players when operating in the paint and passing ability.
We have more than Zion or RJ to flash in the middle this year. Not to mention Tre handled it just fine last year when K used him to flash across the middle. We are better and Cuse is not compared to across the board talent from last year up there. Just my 2 cents. I totally agree, continue to improve and bring it every game.

The problem with Syracuse and the zone is that it is very difficult to blow them out. The zone leads to longer possessions and thus less possessions. Going to the carrier dome in a rowdy environment the home team can always get hot. That place will always make me nervous.

Reactions: retiredsoldier
Bilas said it last night...then transitioned into best overall conference....he picked the B10. I think the ACC/B10 challenge was 8-6 to B10 but pretty close. He had the Big East and B12 over the ACC too - the ACC isnt the 4th best conference by a long shot. As for individual teams, its pretty close this year and any given night is a lottery...Zags only won on a blocked 3 against 7-8 Pepperdine last night, and so far at least 4 other top 10 teams have lost this weekend. So, as for a dominant team, I'd have to agree...but if pushed to pick one, Duke would be as good a choice as any!
If I'm not mistaken the tarheels lost a game this weekend also

FSU is tough and we play them after being on the road for 8-9 days. Luckily, we get to look past Carolina to the Noles.:D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT