ADVERTISEMENT

“Champions” Classic - Now a Misnomer?

jeffrey236

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 30, 2004
Simsbury CT
Three of the 4 annual participants - Duke, Michigan St and Kentucky - aren’t even in the top 25, with Duke and Michigan St getting only a handful of votes and Kentucky not getting any. And Carolina isn’t making an argument to replace anybody in that group. Only Kansas is holding up their end of the bargain. Paradigm shift or anomaly? My gut tells me the outliers are just that, and will return to being perennial powers, but will they become the overwhelming dominant forces in their respective conferences again? MSU in particular seems to be sinking into mediocrity, and when Izzo retires (probably not too long before that happens), some of their mystique will be gone. Kentucky is Kentucky, and after Calipari leaves (probably sooner rather than later, if BBN has their way), they’ll get a top notch coach who, not burdened by some of the ethical constraints imposed at other schools, will quickly pull their program up. I’m rooting for Jon, but the jury is out as to whether he can get the program to run at the level K did for many years. IMO, the answer is probably whether he can find the right blend of OAD’s, retaining not-quite-ready-for-the NBA players and transfers, and get away from the heavy OAD approach we’ve been on - I don’t think it’s an X’s and O’s Issue.

Reactions: dukesince91
I’ve been going to the Champions Classic every year for a while now, and this year was the first time it wasn’t a packed sold out arena. This year was maybe 75% full.

Chalk it up to possibly a few reasons: the economy? K no longer being at Duke? Football dominating the headlines and Tv ratings? Whatever the reason, it was weird and kinda sad.

The Jimmy V classic at Madison Square Garden was at 60% capacity. A good portion of attendees left after the first game too. In year's past, it was full for Duke games.

What is "teams that used to be great." Duke had star power with Coach K and usually a superstar OAD or two. I don't think the average fan knows any of our players except Roach.

Last edited:
The idea of the Champions Classic is teams that have traditionally strong programs. It will die when the TV ratings are no longer good enough.

Who do you suggest, Gonzaga, Purdue, Baylor and Arizona? In 3 years those teams may be irrelevant, except for maybe Gonzaga.

I’m wondering whether they (meaning ESPN) should decide after each season, based on who they think would be the most attractive early season matchups. Of course, no conference could send 2, because they play each other during the regular season, conf tourneys and, God forbid, the NCAA’s. And of course that would dilute ESPN’s product as well. They can also leave it as is, but need to be prepared fora lot of sarcasm when they feature 3 teams who don’t make the NCAA’s the year before (I’m not saying that’s what’s going to happen this year, although it’s not improbable either…)..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT