ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup

I thought the reffing favored Portugal today. Hand balls in penalty area not called....fouls in Portugal favors....etc
Thought I was watching a UNC home game. Gary7 agreed too so I know it happened

Reactions: dbav
Good game between Denmark and Australia so far. I wasn't expecting this to be so close. Denmark got flustered when Australia leveled it up.

France looks FAST. I think they could win the thing...

Mostly all young guys too.

I feel bad for Peru. They've played really well in this group, but have some tough teams. Sucks to play this well and not advance.

Argentina is starting to figure out the press.

Argentina's passing is awful. They keep putting each other in terrible position to receive the ball. It's likely a lot of the Croatian pressing, but it's been bad overall.

Argentina's passing is awful. They keep putting each other in terrible position to receive the ball. It's likely a lot of the Croatian pressing, but it's been bad overall.

There are a lot of comparisons to these Argentina teams and LBJ's Cavs teams. Only the Cavs have more talent (relative to the comp) than Argentina.
Argentina has a proud Futbol tradition, but this would be a 8-10 year lull if not for Messi. He alone is responsible for this team making any of these tournaments for the last 6-8 years. Without him, they don't qualify for the tourneys. And with the way the refs are letting defenses mug stars this year, Messi alone can't carry the day.
In group play, teams with good size, athleticism, and fitness can overcome teams with superior technical play. Once the knockout round happens, all the teams left have good size, athleticism, and fitness, so technical skills come back into play.
Argentina is a team that probably needs familiarity to succeed, but they just don't have the time together to forge that.

Iceland defeating Nigeria tomorrow would be the nail in the coffin for Argentina. A tie would be okay, as would a Nigerian win.

538 gives Argentina a 33% of chance of qualifying for the Round of 16. Even if they advance, which doesn't look likely, they'll be bounced out quickly by France.

This Serbia-Switzerland game has been great. The atmosphere has been insane.

It's weird, Tunisia hasn't looked bad at all, they just haven't taken their chances and have finished poorly. That and Belgium has been lethal on the counter.

I'm starting to think Belgium has to be considered among the favorites at this point. Tons of talent and they all seem to be clicking.

Agree dbav on Belgium looking like the favorite. I’m a huge Mexico fan since I am Mexican and that was not a hand ball against Korea. The ball hit closer to the player’s shoulder than his hand.

Seriously, the announcers for the Mexico games are so much fun. I wish I was that passionate about my job, haha. Its corny, but really genuine and endearing. I love the way they call the games.

Heck of a save by the Korean keeper. Anytime Mexico plays I watch it on the Spanish channel whether it’s Univision, Galavision, or Telemundo (where all the World Cup games are being shown this year), because like you said the announcers are very passionate about their jobs haha. I will say the Telemundo announcers are very biased in favoring Mexico while they are calling the game.

Heck of a save by the Korean keeper. Anytime Mexico plays I watch it on the Spanish channel whether it’s Univision, Galavision, or Telemundo (where all the World Cup games are being shown this year), because like you said the announcers are very passionate about their jobs haha. I will say the Telemundo announcers are very biased in favoring Mexico while they are calling the game.

They definitely are. But the fact that they are having so much fun actually makes the game more fun, haha.

Yeah Korea like Morocco are teams I feel bad for because neither of those teams played awful, it’s just that they couldn’t capitalize on their scoring opportunities.

This I hate. The Mexicans are starting to look like south Americans with the embellishment. Just see out the game.

Heck of a goal by Korea!

It really was. Mexico looks in sync. Only thing I would be concerned with is that I think that could be bullied by a European power (Germany tried to be too cute).

Now interested to see how Germany responds today.

I agree, it looks like it’s shaping up to be Mexico vs Brazil/Switzerland. I am hoping Mexico plays Switzerland in the Sweet 16 round. Germany and Sweden is going to be a heck of a game IMO.

I would say Belgium, Portugal, Spain, and Mexico are playing the best soccer right now in that order. I am very impressed with Belgium and Portugal.

Yeah, that should have been a penalty for Sweden. Wow.

Germany started off great attacking Sweden on a regular basis. The German midfield just looks very lackadaisical.

That German winner was bonkers.
it indeed was Patrick. Crazy that it comes down to the last game for both Sweden and Germany. This game may be the momentum shift Germany needed. All they have to do now is beat Korea. Mexico just has to make sure they don’t get blown out 3+ - 0 at the hands of Sweden.

it indeed was Patrick. Crazy that it comes down to the last game for both Sweden and Germany. This game may be the momentum shift Germany needed. All they have to do now is beat Korea. Mexico just has to make sure they don’t get blown out 3+ - 0 at the hands of Sweden.

Oof. England took out some aggression on Panama today. England wants to win the group. Thursday vs Belgium, a team likely to rest a few starters for injury purposes, could be interesting.

Oof. England took out some aggression on Panama today. England wants to win the group. Thursday vs Belgium, a team likely to rest a few starters for injury purposes, could be interesting.
What is funny though..the 2nd place team will get the better draw.
The 1 seed will get an easy 1st game (2nd place team in the weakest group, the Japan group) but then will play the winner of what is most likely gonna be Brazil Germany...yikes.

The 2 seed will play the 1 seed in the easiest group (Japan probably), but then will most likely get Mexico in the 2nd round.

If I'm Belgium/England, I throw away the final group game.

Initially I thought the group of Japan, Senegal, Colombia, and Poland was the weakest as well. Maybe, the group was misjudged and is actually the "Group of Death" haha. Japan and Senegal are in a battle right now. If Poland and Colombia do not end up in a tie, then the loser of that game will be eliminated.

What is funny though..the 2nd place team will get the better draw.
The 1 seed will get an easy 1st game (2nd place team in the weakest group, the Japan group) but then will play the winner of what is most likely gonna be Brazil Germany...yikes.

The 2 seed will play the 1 seed in the easiest group (Japan probably), but then will most likely get Mexico in the 2nd round.

If I'm Belgium/England, I throw away the final group game.

I think that might have been the plan as of Saturday morning, but Belgium beat them to the post by announcing several low grade "injuries" which just happen to have inflicted most of Bel's best players. Nothing serious, but enough to warrant sitting out the next game (v England) to keep their powder dry for the knockout round. England might have pulled something similar, but England didn't play until Sunday, which meant Bel (played Saturday) had the chance to "throw" the match first.
Beyond that, this is Belgium's year, because this is the peak year for their Golden Generation, many of whom might be starting to decline, if only a little, by the next WC. Conversely, England is young, and figures to be one of the favorites in four years, as the current stars will be at their peak in 4 years, with Kane as maybe the best player in the world.
Further, after years of WC failures, England would take winning the group, and a respectable showing in the knockout stages, and RUN with it. It is something they could build on later.
More further, the so-called power clubs haven't looked great. Too many divas/stars, and not enough nitty-gritty players. Germany and Brazil haven't looked that dangerous. On paper, they are supposed to be good, but it hasn't really played out that way on the pitch. Maybe avoiding them isn't the wise decision some thought it would be just 1-2 weeks ago. Some "lesser" teams, at least reputation wise, are playing very well right now. Though it seems strange to think, and could certainly change quickly, maybe the traditional powers aren't as scary as we thought.

Russia has finally played a good team and are looking overwhelmed. Also down a man for the rest of the match. It could get ugly.

Agreed that Germany and Brazil haven't looked dominant. But it's hard to compare their results with Belgium. Germany has played elite teams in Mexico and Sweden - and Brazil has played two pretty solid teams in Switzerland and Serbia. I agree that Belgium is a legitimate contender, but Panama and Tunisia are not quality teams. England has struggled mightily in recent years against quality teams in the WC and at the Euros, but Panama and Tunisia make England look really good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT