ADVERTISEMENT

With the season upon us, who will your leaders be?

ticket2ride04

All Conference
May 13, 2004
First, I'm not a troll or here to cause problems. If you don't know me, it's because you were in middle school hiding your boners while me and @Showenuff were arguing about Sean May eating too much fast food or if Sheldon Williams was from another planet. Anyways, it's a new day. The scandal is gone, we are forever the UNCheats with Huckleberry at the Helm(s banner). And I'm ok with that. Love him to death.

So now it's a new day. How does this Duke team stack up? We all know it's one of the most talented K has ever had. Who leads in points, rebounds, assists, and trips (to the FT line of course).

Will Bagley live up to the hype?

What does K do for Duval to ease the transition? Also, can someone tell me about his game? I've heard the hype, just not watched videos.

Last, my guess is Grayson will really have to step up and pull this group together. He's the only guy back with any meaningful experience. As much as it pains me to say, you're my favorite to win it.

Scoring i would expect to be lead by Grayson and Marvin- both around 17.5-20ppg.

Rebounding I'm not sure who leads, maybe it is Marvin, maybe it's Carter or maybe it's just a group effort with someone like Javin surprising in the stats category. My guess is Marvin around 7.5 a game.

Assists wise it has to be Duval- it has to be, otherwise we might be in trouble. He will be dared to shoot from the outside but I think win the playmakers around him he should be fine. He's so good with the ball in his hands and in transition and should be very comfortable with said talent. Maybe he averages 5 a game or so.

The leader of this team will be Grayson. Make fun of him all you want, the kid is first and foremost a great player. He's been through it all, the highest of the highs and some pretty awful lows. This is his team and his season. I'm counting on him and think he answers the bell. I think you could see Javin emerge as a vocal leader as well this season. He's starting to show that right now.

I'm just ready for Friday night and hope I can make it down there.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
Scoring i would expect to be lead by Grayson and Marvin- both around 17.5-20ppg.

Rebounding I'm not sure who leads, maybe it is Marvin, maybe it's Carter or maybe it's just a group effort with someone like Javin surprising in the stats category. My guess is Marvin around 7.5 a game.

Assists wise it has to be Duval- it has to be, otherwise we might be in trouble. He will be dared to shoot from the outside but I think win the playmakers around him he should be fine. He's so good with the ball in his hands and in transition and should be very comfortable with said talent. Maybe he averages 5 a game or so.

The leader of this team will be Grayson. Make fun of him all you want, the kid is first and foremost a great player. He's been through it all, the highest of the highs and some pretty awful lows. This is his team and his season. I'm counting on him and think he answers the bell. I think you could see Javin emerge as a vocal leader as well this season. He's starting to show that right now.

I'm just ready for Friday night and hope I can make it down there.
Thanks for sharing. I’m curious to see how the team gels. K has had mixed results with these young rosters. But given his track record, that is more reflective of the kids than the coach. Plus, you think he’d have learned a few things from last year as well. Finally, that teams short comings will be a great teaching tool for this years young guys.

This Duke team is scary talented and I honestly hope we can steal one this year.

Thanks for sharing. I’m curious to see how the team gels. K has had mixed results with these young rosters. But given his track record, that is more reflective of the kids than the coach. Plus, you think he’d have learned a few things from last year as well. Finally, that teams short comings will be a great teaching tool for this years young guys.

This Duke team is scary talented and I honestly hope we can steal one this year.
Obviously any time you are bringing in the amount of youth that Duke is, gelling will be a key topic. Last year was just a bizarre year, the injuries, even for K, Grayson, you name it. The situation never allowed for us to gel, but we have had success and K is a master at bouncing back. Grayson is as determined as ever to leave on a high note- I'm honestly not concerned but again you never know with freshmen. Nothing would truly surprise you.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
If Allen embraces the Senior Leader role such as Cook (2015) then it bodes real well for the Blue Devils. Cook faced some adversity during his 1st 3 years playing for Duke as well and he turned out into a great leader his senior year. I know this is wishful thinking, but if Vrankovich as a Junior sees the court maybe he can have the type of effect Brian Zoubek had his Senior year. DeLaurier looks like he is trying to be a vocal leader (similar to Jefferson?)

It is Allen's time. Hopefully all he has gone through, both good and bad - National Championship glory to tripping - have prepared him for his senior year, when he is the unquestioned loudest voice on a good team.

Reactions: Mac9192
Grayson needs to be the main lead. Not saying some of the other guys can't step up even Vrank can be a strong leader just like Marshall was his junior year. We need leadership from the bench. But it's Greyson's team and he can become everything he's expected to be this season. OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac9192
Team leader emotionally: Grayson
Scoring leaders: Grayson, Bagley (just a guess Duval)
Rebounding leaders: Bagley & Carter
Shot blockers: Bagley & Bolden
Steals: Duval & Javin
Assist: Duval, Grayson & Bagley

It has to be Grayson. If he's not ready for it, then I'm afraid a repeat of last season is possible. That said, I don't expect that at all. I think we're going to see him return to All-American status and do special things his final season.

We also need Bagley to be really good. And I know....he's already really good, but we need him buying in for the name on the front of the jersey, and not the back. If he does that, then this Duke team can do some pretty special things.

Grayson has to be. If he can handle being the leader, and I think he can, and his teammates follow him, then we can have a special year. I believe we're going to get that bad taste out of our mouth that has been in there since last season.
In my opinion, if Grayson does lead like we need him to, he will be as revered as Battier, who was the best court leader to ever play at Duke.

His name is Robert Paul...no, wait...his name is Grayson Allen. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT