ADVERTISEMENT

Why is this Duke team so powerful THIS EARLY???

hart2chesson

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Oct 13, 2012
In last nite's post game presser, Coach K was asked this question by Gary Parrish of CBS Sports. K's answer ranged from strategy to a thinly veiled reference to last year's team in my opinion. His answer showed his strategy for "positonless players" produces not only the most potent offense possible, but harmony among teammates. He also said this team has a quality perhaps last year's squad did not-"These guys are over themselves."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-blue-devils-are-able-to-be-so-good-so-early/

OFC

I also really believe another reason that Duke is playing well out of the gates is the upperclassmen are doing what they need to do to be leaders of this team and they are not about themselves and wanting to get theirs, and allowing the Freshmen to be who they are. Really good harmony and chemistry.

I believe it truly has something to do with a mix of secure talented individuals, throw in guys that love being around each other having a blast, and you have the start of a perfect storm. These guys seem to really love playing with each other
K has mentioned countless times about how these guys truly have fun around each other. Watching them on the court, you can truly see it. Watch them when one guy makes a play. They all go crazy.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Defense and chemistry. Last few seasons we did not play team defense. Tatum's year we struggled mightily early.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I think it's a combination of a few things. It's still early to predict how good we will do, but so far our freshmen are team players. RJ had 5 assists last night. Our 'older' kids are team players as well. For the most part over the years, the upperclassmen have been more team oriented than some of our one and done's. No body wants the new kid to come in thinking he's the man. It's more on the freshmen to mesh with the team. No matter how talented.

That's why the 15 team was successful, they blended their talents with the veterans. Tyus seemed to respect the hell out of Quinn. Ingram fit in the next year too, we were just a little short in the talent area. But that team gave it all they had.

The other reason I think may catch me some flack. Capel. It's my opinion that over the last couple seasons, K hasn't had the control he needs. We know the kids really like Jeff, and he has been such a great asset to K, but I think his time wore out. K, even though he has learned to delegate responsibilities to his assistants, had some of his power slip away from him.
I think politely, he parted ways with Jeff, so he could regain what he needed.

I think it's a combination of a few things. It's still early to predict how good we will do, but so far our freshmen are team players. RJ had 5 assists last night. Our 'older' kids are team players as well. For the most part over the years, the upperclassmen have been more team oriented than some of our one and done's. No body wants the new kid to come in thinking he's the man. It's more on the freshmen to mesh with the team. No matter how talented.

That's why the 15 team was successful, they blended their talents with the veterans. Tyus seemed to respect the hell out of Quinn. Ingram fit in the next year too, we were just a little short in the talent area. But that team gave it all they had.

The other reason I think may catch me some flack. Capel. It's my opinion that over the last couple seasons, K hasn't had the control he needs. We know the kids really like Jeff, and he has been such a great asset to K, but I think his time wore out. K, even though he has learned to delegate responsibilities to his assistants, had some of his power slip away from him.

I never thought about it much but the Coach Capel thing makes sense to me. OFC

Let’s not forget this team was afforded the time to play together this summer on a trip the previous class didn’t. Last year’s team was supposed to play during the summer but didn’t. We also had a late re-class as well. Also, we have all of our players (no injuries) at the start of the regular season (the 2017 team didn’t).

Everything came together. Everyone is healthy, we have a PG and we had extra practice time before the season started.

The stars finally aligned!

Last edited:

Disagree with your Capel assessment since you have no factual evidence to provide. I mean, Capel was able to take over for K, when he neeed him because of illness and surgery. I doubt K had any power slippage while Capel was here. In fact, Capel may have extended K’s coaching career with the talent he brought in and having HC experience to allow K to rest when he needed to step away from the sidelines. Capel kept things afloat while K was away.

Edit: I overlooked where you said “it is of your opinion.” My bad

Last edited:
Disagree with your Capel assessment since you have no factual evidence to provide. I mean, Capel was able to take over for K, when he neeed him because of illness and surgery. I doubt K had any power slippage while Capel was here. In fact, Capel may have extended K’s coaching career with the talent he brought in and having HC experience to allow K to rest when he needed to step away from the sidelines. Capel kept things afloat while K was away.
Hence why I said 'opinion'. But, K does seem to really enjoy this team. The comment to this team, while being filmed, about their hustle compared to last season, and the comment made last night about them being over themselves. Two very powerful comments, compliments to this bunch, but not to the prior teams. I don't think the last couple seasons were fun for K, and felt he wanted to go a different route.

I stand by what I said, but I respect that you disagree.

Hence why I said 'opinion'. But, K does seem to really enjoy this team. The comment to this team, while being filmed, about their hustle compared to last season, and the comment made last night about them being over themselves. Two very powerful comments, compliments this bunch, but not to the prior teams. I don't think the last couple seasons were fun for K, and felt he wanted to go a different route.

I stand by what I said, but I respect that you disagree.

I just updated my post.

Reactions: Mac9192
I have a super double secret I need to share. I got to CTC early and meet up with K and the guys. K wanted me to talk to the team about putting egos aside for one purpose (TO WIN IT ALL!). He said, "Honk talk to the kids about sacrifice and devotion to one goal." Tell them about the time you and three of your friends walked into a Chapel Hill bar rocking your Duke gear, minding your own business when twelve UNC thugs stepped to you. Tell them how the three of you came together as one and completely wiped the floor with those punks asses"

So I go on to tell the guys of how my friends and I came together as one unit and cleaned house in that shithole bar. We call it, 'The night the lights went out in Chapel Hill'. You guys should have seen the fire in their eyes when I was done. I mean they were ready to eat raw meat and run through a wall! It was beautiful! They told me every time they step on the court they will use that as their fire and motivation to completely destroy any team in their paths.

You can read the entire story of that ass whooping co-authored by K and I in our new book, "Honkey and the G.O.A.T". It will be on shelves in January 2019.

This Duke team is so powerful because we have the 3 best players in the country, along with our best PG in years, and some role players who know their role.
It's really that easy.

I could care less about talking about Capel and the past few years, this Duke team is too fun to look back. I love all our current assistants and hope they stick around for years to come.
However....if we didn't have Capel, we probably don't have RJ, Cam, AND Zion, soooo.

I have a super double secret I need to share. I got to CTC early and meet up with K and the guys. K wanted me to talk to the team about putting egos aside for one purpose (TO WIN IT ALL!). He said, "Honk talk to the kids about sacrifice and devotion to one goal." Tell them about the time you and three of your friends walked into a Chapel Hill bar rocking your Duke gear, minding your own business when twelve UNC thugs stepped to you. Tell them how the three of you came together as one and completely wiped the floor with those punks asses"

So I go on to tell the guys of how my friends and I came together as one unit and cleaned house in that shithole bar. We call it, 'The night the lights went out in Chapel Hill'. You guys should have seen the fire in their eyes when I was done. I mean they were ready to eat raw meat and run through a wall! It was beautiful! They told me every time they step on the court they will use that as their fire and motivation to completely destroy any team in their paths.

You can read the entire story of that ass whooping co-authored by K and I in our new book, "Honkey and the G.O.A.T". It will be on shelves in January 2019.

1000 Times this!!!

Reactions: HonkeyT
Let’s not forget, K typically has his team better prepared to play in November than just about anyone else, senior laden team or not. Then, the rest of the season, teams can generally catch up. Some teams will be able to catch up to this team, but this is one of those squads, that will constantly learn from their weaknesses. This is going to be a ridiculously good team by March. No plateau.

To be fair, Duke is always really good in November and December.

Duke hasn't gone into January conference play undefeated since.......2015.

2016 got smoked by UK in the Champions Classic and lost to Utah.
2017 lost in the Champions Classic with all of our freshman hurt.
2018 lost to BC in early December (stupid time to play a conference game IMO.)

They just have it all...off the chart athleticism, skill, chemistry, great coaching, and a desire to be great. Only injury, foul trouble, or ft shooting woes can derail this team.

OFC

Reactions: jcdevilfan
They just have it all...off the chart athleticism, skill, chemistry, great coaching, and a desire to be great. Only injury, foul trouble, or ft shooting woes can derail this team.

Spot on OAD, you hit the nail on the head. There's just something special about this group. Let's hope we at least stay injury free for the entire season, the rest will take care of itself.
Go Duke!
OFC

hahahahaha you won. thread should be closed after this

I dont care what anybody says, dat dere Honkey and the G.O.A.T. is some funny stuff. I can hardly wait to read the whole book.

Reactions: HonkeyT
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT