ADVERTISEMENT

Why does

Regardless, something needs to change. I get we keep AOC out because of his defense, but we need someone who is a threat out on the wing to clear up traffic in the paint. Tre needs to learn he's open for a reason; he can't shoot. There is no reason to guard him out there. When we have Jordan playing alongside him, that's another person not leaving the paint. Anytime Zion or RJ touch the ball, they have 2-3 defenders waiting for them to drive in. Cam is so inconsistent you can even gamble with him out there. We need to figure out a way to space the floor.

All of that wouldn't even be so bad if people who can't shoot wouldn't jack them up like their last name is Curry.

The scouting report for our offense is pretty simple *in theory*. Pack in the paint. Don't guard Tre or Jordan outside. RJ will always go left. Zion will get his no matter what you do.

Regardless, something needs to change. I get we keep AOC out because of his defense, but we need someone who is a threat out on the wing to clear up traffic in the paint. Tre needs to learn he's open for a reason; he can't shoot. There is no reason to guard him out there. When we have Jordan playing alongside him, that's another person not leaving the paint. Anytime Zion or RJ touch the ball, they have 2-3 defenders waiting for them to drive in. Cam is so inconsistent you can even gamble with him out there. We need to figure out a way to space the floor.

All of that wouldn't even be so bad if people who can't shoot wouldn't jack them up like their last name is Curry.

The scouting report for our offense is pretty simple *in theory*. Pack in the paint. Don't guard Tre or Jordan outside. RJ will always go left. Zion will get his no matter what you do.
Why do you think Tre even shoots? It’s a better possession with Zion being guarded by 3 people than him shoot. I don’t get why they haven’t shut him off from the 3s

Reactions: ioliva

Our last 2 point guards have been bad shooters. How’s that happen?

UCF is the blueprint? Does everyone have a 7'6" center? Nope...and then an outside shooter who cant miss?....yep...easy blueprint. I'm sure our opponents can find one and then guarantee the other....good grief - the stupidity of TV punditry knows no bounds.

UCF is the blueprint? Does everyone have a 7'6" center? Nope...and then an outside shooter who cant miss?....yep...easy blueprint. I'm sure our opponents can find one and then guarantee the other....good grief - the stupidity of TV punditry knows no bounds.

Exactly, find somebody else who is 7’6 and we’ll talk.

That’s the other thing they had a pretty good 7’6 player and the best player on the team just happened to grow up in Durham, around duke, and his dad could be the best we’ve ever had. I mean it’s a perfect storm really

Why do you think Tre even shoots? It’s a better possession with Zion being guarded by 3 people than him shoot. I don’t get why they haven’t shut him off from the 3s

Because as long as he makes one the staff is happy :rolleyes:. I don’t get it. He found huge success driving while having open 3s against FSU and found huge success. I don’t know why he went away from it

Reactions: pisgah101
Because as long as he makes one the staff is happy :rolleyes:. I don’t get it. He found huge success driving while having open 3s against FSU and found huge success. I don’t know why he went away from it
Exactly. I don’t know why Tre doesn’t understand he’s better at driving to the bucket. His midrange game is okay also.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Did you know that the blueprint for beating Duke is to have a 7’6 Center and a lot of calls go your way?
When he went out, we always made a run to extend the lead. He would come back in and our lead would diminish. Also, it didn’t help this few times when Tre shot us out of the lead

Damnit AOC, whatever it is you’re doing to make K want to leave you on the bench dead and stankin, please stop.

Exactly. I don’t know why Tre doesn’t understand he’s better at driving to the bucket. His midrange game is okay also.

It’s something that falls on the coaching staff imo. I’m not sure it’s being stressed in the game plan

I think Coach K gives all of his players who are on the floor the green light to shoot when they feel they have a decent shot.

I feel K definitely should tell Tre to not shoot anything except a driving layup or a mid range shot/floater but he has yet to ask me my opinion

I'm pretty confident there isn't another team that can follow the blueprint of a 7'6" monster that just stands in the paint that even ZIon struggled to shoot over . Maybe just me, though.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
We can do the same thing:

RJ: I know that you average 23 points, but this game I want you to score 46.
Tre: I know that you average 5.5 assists, but tonight -- really need to see 11
Z: Can you 2x your rebounds? Thanks.

Blueprint to their blueprint.

This is how you beat Duke:

Pack in the paint and dare them to shoot threes. They will. They love it. They're masochists like that.

Have a literal giant on your team.

Have another player drop 32.

Shoot far above your usual % from three.

So the blueprint to beat Duke is simple:

-Have a former Coach K assistant coach and Naismith award winner as your coach
-Have an athletic director related to Duke's athletic director
-Have a son who grew up shooting in Cameron with a major chip on his shoulder for not playing for Duke who is going to double their season average in scoring
-Play zone with a 7'6" center that stands in the paint
-Refs who let above 7'6" player commit 15 fouls.

Oh boy are we screwed now.

So the blueprint to beat Duke is simple:

-Have a former Coach K assistant coach and Naismith award winner as your coach
-Have an athletic director related to Duke's athletic director
-Have a son who grew up shooting in Cameron with a major chip on his shoulder for not playing for Duke who is going to double their season average in scoring
-Play zone with a 7'6" center that stands in the paint
-Refs who let above 7'6" player commit 15 fouls.

Oh boy are we screwed now.

That’s ESPN all day

In all seriousness, teams have been throwing zone and sagging man at us ALL SEASON and we still only lost one game at full health. Now, do I think some of our games are closer than they should be? Yes. But this is nothing new. At all.

Haha, you can have a blueprint, but someone has to pour the foundation and build the structure.
We've still only lost one game when all starters are available, and that the 3rd game in 3 days early in the season to a #1 seed.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
I'll be honest. I don't know why AOC didn't get any run yesterday.
We clearly needed him in the game to stretch the floor. UCF had a few guys we could have "hid" AOC on. If we lost that game, there would have been quite a few "what ifs."

Is it just that? Because aren’t there times in a game that you substitute offense in for defense and vice versa?
I understand what you are saying, but we have 2 of the most unstoppable offensive talents in college basketball in years. The offense gained from Alex has probably been deemed (by the staff) to not be worth the drop on defense. I mean, Goldwire is probably worse on offense than Alex is on defense. I think the staff has decided we are going to win or lose on that end of the court.

I'll be honest. I don't know why AOC didn't get any run yesterday.
We clearly needed him in the game to stretch the floor. UCF had a few guys we could have "hid" AOC on. If we lost that game, there would have been quite a few "what ifs."

Having O'Connell in wouldn't have changed much. They were playing deny on everyone and leaving Tre wide open. Nothing Alex could've done to change things. We shot the ball well from 3. Tre just shot terrible.

Having O'Connell in wouldn't have changed much. They were playing deny on everyone and leaving Tre wide open. Nothing Alex could've done to change things. We shot the ball well from 3. Tre just shot terrible.

It wouldn’t?? It makes taco have to guard someone

I just want to thank Johnny Dawkins for imploying this tactic against us. Now our staff has time to go back to the drawing board and create an offense for this defensive strategy. That was one helluva in-game wrinkle that we did not expect. We have seen it and we will have an attack for it next time if someone decides to do it. It doesn't work unless you have a big guy in the middle that can still contest a mid range jumper while on his toes. Tre really needs to watch Rondo and how effective he was when not being guarded

Why not? And I know you’ll scream defense but like jwill stayed hide him on someone that you can mask him with.

So take Tre out and put Alex in? Someone that won't shoot unless he's completely open. Y'all can't be serious. I'll take the defensive impact over Alex spot offense. Now if there was evidence that our offense is clearly better with Alex on the court and no Tre then you have a point. Alex isn't playing for a reason. You don't take out your point guard for a guy that doesn't bring anything else to the table except shooting. Maybe you meant take Goldwire out and put Alex in. That makes more sense

Is Tre still gonna declare for the NBA? His forecast for the foreseeable future is G League. Does he need a Professional paycheck that much?

o_O

It depends on what Tyus has told Tre. If Tyus has been saying privately that he wish he stayed in college longer than jumping to the NBA then Tre will stay. Obviously if you can be a first round lock you might as well go because there's no place better to develop than against pros while getting that guaranteed $1M+. Personally I think someone like Cam would do better staying over Tre because Tre's stock won't really rise. If Cam was to come back next year in a weaker draft and put up NPOY numbers he would definitely go first. Look at Ja Morant and Culver. Both are sophomores and will be top 5 picks. Cam could be the number one pick EASY next year. Plus he will be ready to be an impact in the NBA on day one for his team

I concur DukeRules. I have no problem with Tre dribbling from the circle to just inside the paint and shooting.I dont know his stats on say "midrange" shots, but I'd venture its an appreciable better percentage than 3's.....

OFC

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
Can we at all tip our cap to the fact UCF made a lot of tough shots to get their points? Our defense has been really good this tournament, it just gets overlooked because UCF hit shots. We won’t face another 7’6 guy this tournament and hopefully we won’t face another Dawkins. Then you had a couple other secondary guys make a 3 here or there. Our plan has been simple, stop them and score enough to win. JGold and Tre have done their thing. I think we would feel much differently if UCF didn’t play as well as they did. I’m happy with our rotation right now. Too many people assume AOC would be a plus rather than a minus. I’m not so sure. I am sure JGold is playing solid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT